Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

Tribeca
80 Warren St
Suite 15
New York, NY 10007
212-227-2294
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

Some ratings provided by Yahoo. DrScore.
 |  WARNING! Worst doctor  |  show details
Jul 27th, 2010

Dr Austin Chen is the worst doctor in my entire life. She is insensitive to your serious concerns when a problem occurs. I will not go into detail my personal experience with Dr Austin Chen, only to say Dr Austin Chen is negligent, totally unprofessional, and is too arrogant to listen to her patients serious concerns, and that her errors may have caused me fertility issues that we are looking into at this point. this is a serious matter and I would not send my worst enemy to this horrible, insensitive, abusive doctor.

|  Would not Recommend  |  show details
Jul 23rd, 2010

I went to Dr. Chen based on a friend's recommendation but I was very disappointed. I waited almost two hours to see the doctor who was extremely rushed and erratic. She nice enough but I felt like she did not really address my concerns adequately. No one took my blood pressure which I've never had happen before, and I was prescribed medication that could have negative side effects with high blood pressure. Also, there was a container of instruments on the floor in the exam room. I can only assume that they were dirty since it would not be a very sanitary way to store clean ones but either way it's troublesome! The ridiculous wait time combined with the questionable storage processes as well as her hurried manner will definately prevent me from returning.

|  don't know why she is so highly rated  |  show details
by AK on Jul 21st, 2010

I was relieved but sad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought this highly rated doctor was awful. A friend spoke so highly of her, so I went to see her when my husband and I were having difficulties trying to conceive. Without even doing a physical exam, she basically told me my infertility issues were in my head and referred me to a psychiatrist. I never went back to her again, but her "evaluation" caused me to second guess myself to the point that I didn't seek help for infertility until three years later when we finally discovered that there was in fact a real biological problem. Had Chen bothered to take my concerns seriously, we might have discovered it sooner. Instead her arrogance caused us years of needless failure and self-doubt. (Thankfully with the help of a more caring, patient oriented doctor, we were able to conceive.) She is AWFUL!

|  Highly Recommended  |  show details
May 1st, 2010

Dr. Chen delivered my 1st baby. She was very excited by my desire for a natural childbirth in the Roosevelt Birthing Center. Her advice and support felt more like a doula than an OB. Unfortunately my baby had plans of her own and was "sunny side up" AND she had shoulder dystocia. As a result at 8cm the labor stopped progressing and after trying a mild pain reliever I still wasn't able to handle the pelvic pain involved in the "sunny side up" laboring. Dr. Chen was immediately receptive to my request for an epidural so we transfered to the labor and delivery floor (you cant have an epidural in the BC). The baby got stuck on both my pelvic bone and exiting the vaginal opening. She very patiently watched the babys heart rate to determine if she needed to perform a C-section. She expertly utilized a vacuum to get the baby out. I found out after the birth that the babys heart rate was slow for about 2 minutes. Dr. Chen knew I had worked out and ate very healthy throughout my pregnancy so she gave the baby a chance to bounce back, which she did. I have been told twice by other doctors (including my babys pediatrician with 20 years of experience) that I must have an amazing OB to have been able to deliver vaginally under such circumstances. She had to sew up an extensive perineal tear and it has healed beautifully (actually the only pain I felt post partum was from my hemorrhoids). I am incredibly grateful to Dr. Chen for safely delivering my baby and for supporting both my desire for a natural childbirth and for having the patience to trust my body to deliver vaginally. As a side note: Dr. Chen is a very warm person who absolutely loves babies but she is very direct and matter of fact in her speech, something which I appreciate in a doctor. I would highly recommend Dr. Chen for her extreme support and incredible expertise.

|  No Complaints!  |  show details
by Stephanie on Jan 15th, 2010

I made an appt easily, only waited 5 mins to see her when I arrived, and I appreciate that she was very thorough with me. She responded to all my questions, and explained everything well. I've had terrible experiences with OB/GYNs in the past, so I was initially skeptical. However, I have no complaints!

|  Good OBGYN  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Jan 12th, 2010 on insiderpages.com

Great obgyn. Was seen by her once and have to say she is a very good obgyn. Answered all my questions and was not in a rush to get me out of...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  No bull, no hugs. Totally honest and practical.  |  show details
by V on Aug 11th, 2009

Dr Chen is an enthusiastic high-energy fast-talking person, who does not mince words. If you want a tender discussion about your feelings, go see a therapist instead. Despite her rushed and abrupt manner, she has been pro-active about performing tests, correct about every diagnosis, supportive during treatment, and open-minded about concurrent alt therapy.Dr Chen does not seem to take notes, so be prepared, do your own research in advance, recap your history and explain your problems first thing. She is very knowledgable if you can ask the right questions ahd I am still a fan. Patient of 5 years.

|  Long wait for a good appointment  |  show details
Jun 1st, 2009

I got in at 5 for a 5:15 appointment and didn't leave the office until 7:15. From the other ladies in the waiting room (there were 3 ahead of me when I got there) this is pretty standard, when there is a birth all appointments get pushed back and the patients wait. There is no nurse practitioner or anyone who can help out. In any case, the appointment was good, Dr. Chen took the time to asnswer quetions and explain things. She was very nice and I would go back again, but maybe for a morning appointment!

by Glad Dad (and mom) on May 6th, 2009 on yahoo.com

As a testament to our professional respect and personal adoration for Doctor Chen, we gave our baby the middle name, Austin.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
 |  find another doctor  |  show details
by michelle on May 4th, 2009

Please find another doctor! My experience with Dr. chen was horrible.She appears nice at first with a holistic approach that i was attracted to but she had no personal skills and is basically a nasty, arogant person. She often criticized what I had to say in terms of asking questions about vitamins etc. she said "oh your one of..those" ... I wanted to change doctors but with my work schedule and insurance I didnt make the effort or thought that it was me being "hormonal" and hoped the relationship would be better. She also added to my son's trauma at birth and her neglect to give him additional sonograms which made her unaware that the cord was around his neck and that a C-section was unavoidable. Therefore she kept telling me not to go to the hospital when I had 2 days of contractions and told me to drink wine. when i said that i didnt want to drink the wine she said it wasnt a request! I was so angry with that comment! Then i told her i was going to the hospital regardless of the fact that the contractions were far apart because the pain was intense for days. When i got there it was evening and she told my husband to go because we were going to do some excercises together..she would bring a big ball etc and i was looking forward to that but she never returned and i waited alone and fell asleep. Then in the morning the nurse demanded that she give me a C-cestion and called the head nurse in because my doctors was delaying so long and the babies heart beat was going down. they still didnt know he had the cord around his neck because she didnt do a sonogram..i guess she was against it!the baby had an apgare of 4 rather then a healthy 8 and he had to go to the nicu for 4 days due to black and blues on his head from the endless conteractions.( low billyrubin-if im spelling that correctly)she only visited me again maybe 1x and was so cool to me when I visited after for the follow up visit saying she never has c-sections and that i gained too much weight...as though THAT was the cause!!sincerely,michelle

by michelle on May 4th, 2009 on yahoo.com

Please find another doctor! My experience with Dr. Chen while I was pregnant was horrible.|She appears nice at first with a holistic approach that i was attracted to but she had no personal skills and is basically a nasty, arogant person. She often criticized what I had to say in terms of asking questions about vitamins etc. she said "oh your one of..those" ... I wanted to change doctors but with my work schedule and insurance I didnt make the effort or thought that it was me being "hormonal" and hoped the relationship would be better.|She also added to my son's trauma at birth and her neglect to give him additional sonograms which made her unaware that the cord was around his neck and that a C-section was unavoidable. For 2 days she told me not to go to the hospital with contractions and told me to drink wine. when i said that i didnt want to drink the wine she said it wasnt a request! I was so angry with that comment!|Then i told her i was going to the hospital regardless of the fact that the contractions were far apart because the pain was intense for days. When i got there it was evening and she told my husband to go because we were going to do some excercises together..she would bring a big ball etc and i was looking forward to that but she never returned and i waited alone and fell asleep.|Then in the morning the nurse demanded that she give me a C-section and called the head nurse in because my doctor was delaying so long.. the babies heart beat was going down from lack of oxygen. they still didnt know he had the cord around his neck because she didnt do a sonogram..i guess she was against it!|the baby had an apgare of 4 rather then a healthy 8 and he had to go to the nicu for 4 days due to black and blues on his head from the endless contractions.( low billyrubin-if im spelling that correctly)|she only visited me again maybe 1x and was so cool to me when I visited after for the follow up visit saying she never has c-sections and that i gained too much weight...as though THAT was the cause!! truely unbelievable...horrible dont take the risk find someone else|sincerely,|michelle

|  Bad Episiotomy from Dr. Austin Chen  |  show details
by Lillian Kuras on Mar 25th, 2009

I still have twitching and problems with gas through the vagina due to Dr. Chen's rushed and poorly rendered episiotomy. She came in at the very end of my son's birth and yelled "I am so disappointed in you." She was horrible. Never told me she cut the sphincter muscle. She treated my young, African-American roommate at St. Vincent's very well, so please be aware that she may have racial or age issues. (I was 37 at the time.)

by Lil K on Mar 7th, 2009 on yahoo.com

Dr. Chen came in at the end of my son's birth in 1998 and shouted "I am so disappointed in you!" I was having my first baby at 37, in labor for 26 hours, pushing for 4 hours, and this an abusive way for me to be treated. The episitomy she rushed through still gives me problems today; another OB-GYN thought a general practioner did it and wondered why Dr. Chen used chromic catgut, which is inferior to dissolving stitches. A very negative experience, I am sorry to say. I hope Dr. Chen has gained some empathy and surgical skill.

|  awful  |  show details
by sarah brantch on Jan 5th, 2009

rude, insensitive, arrogant, cold, down right mean individual

by SD on Dec 3rd, 2008 on yahoo.com

My wife used Dr. Chen with our baby and we couldn't have been happier. Not only is she a great Ob/Gyn, but she's an incredibly caring and dedicated person. We were very happy with the entire process.

Jul 30th, 2008 on yahoo.com

The best there is. She's delivered both my kids and helped with countless other health issues. Amazing, caring, totally dedicated to her practice and patients

Apr 28th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Dr. Chen is absolutely the best. She stayed with me through my whole birth. She is very attentive. This doctor knows her stuff. Amazing thing under her guidance I didnt gain weight and had a beautiful healthy baby girl. I highy recommend her.

Nov 9th, 2006 on yahoo.com

Highly recommended: Dr. Chen was recommended to me by a friend. My experience as her patient throughout my pregnancy and during the birth of my daughter was the most positive experience. Dr. Chen knows her stuff!!