Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Dec 15th, 2015

We loved her so much that we chose Austin as our baby's middle name

WARNING! Worst doctor show details WARNING! Worst doctor
Jul 27th, 2010

Dr Austin Chen is the worst doctor in my entire life. She is insensitive to your serious concerns when a problem occurs. I will not go into detail my personal experience with Dr Austin Chen, only to say Dr Austin Chen is negligent, totally unprofessional, and is too arrogant to listen to her patients serious concerns, and that her errors may have caused me fertility issues that we are looking into at this point. this is a serious matter and I would not send my worst enemy to this horrible, insensitive, abusive doctor.

Would not Recommend show details Would not Recommend
Jul 23rd, 2010

I went to Dr. Chen based on a friend's recommendation but I was very disappointed. I waited almost two hours to see the doctor who was extremely rushed and erratic. She nice enough but I felt like she did not really address my concerns adequately. No one took my blood pressure which I've never had happen before, and I was prescribed medication that could have negative side effects with high blood pressure. Also, there was a container of instruments on the floor in the exam room. I can only assume that they were dirty since it would not be a very sanitary way to store clean ones but either way it's troublesome! The ridiculous wait time combined with the questionable storage processes as well as her hurried manner will definately prevent me from returning.

don't know why she is so highly rated show details don't know why she is so highly rated
by AK on Jul 21st, 2010

I was relieved but sad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought this highly rated doctor was awful. A friend spoke so highly of her, so I went to see her when my husband and I were having difficulties trying to conceive. Without even doing a physical exam, she basically told me my infertility issues were in my head and referred me to a psychiatrist. I never went back to her again, but her "evaluation" caused me to second guess myself to the point that I didn't seek help for infertility until three years later when we finally discovered that there was in fact a real biological problem. Had Chen bothered to take my concerns seriously, we might have discovered it sooner. Instead her arrogance caused us years of needless failure and self-doubt. (Thankfully with the help of a more caring, patient oriented doctor, we were able to conceive.) She is AWFUL!

Highly Recommended show details Highly Recommended
May 1st, 2010

Dr. Chen delivered my 1st baby. She was very excited by my desire for a natural childbirth in the Roosevelt Birthing Center. Her advice and support felt more like a doula than an OB. Unfortunately my baby had plans of her own and was "sunny side up" AND she had shoulder dystocia. As a result at 8cm the labor stopped progressing and after trying a mild pain reliever I still wasn't able to handle the pelvic pain involved in the "sunny side up" laboring. Dr. Chen was immediately receptive to my request for an epidural so we transfered to the labor and delivery floor (you cant have an epidural in the BC). The baby got stuck on both my pelvic bone and exiting the vaginal opening. She very patiently watched the babys heart rate to determine if she needed to perform a C-section. She expertly utilized a vacuum to get the baby out. I found out after the birth that the babys heart rate was slow for about 2 minutes. Dr. Chen knew I had worked out and ate very healthy throughout my pregnancy so she gave the baby a chance to bounce back, which she did. I have been told twice by other doctors (including my babys pediatrician with 20 years of experience) that I must have an amazing OB to have been able to deliver vaginally under such circumstances. She had to sew up an extensive perineal tear and it has healed beautifully (actually the only pain I felt post partum was from my hemorrhoids). I am incredibly grateful to Dr. Chen for safely delivering my baby and for supporting both my desire for a natural childbirth and for having the patience to trust my body to deliver vaginally. As a side note: Dr. Chen is a very warm person who absolutely loves babies but she is very direct and matter of fact in her speech, something which I appreciate in a doctor. I would highly recommend Dr. Chen for her extreme support and incredible expertise.

No Complaints! show details No Complaints!
by Stephanie on Jan 15th, 2010

I made an appt easily, only waited 5 mins to see her when I arrived, and I appreciate that she was very thorough with me. She responded to all my questions, and explained everything well. I've had terrible experiences with OB/GYNs in the past, so I was initially skeptical. However, I have no complaints!

No bull, no hugs. Totally honest and practical. show details No bull, no hugs. Totally honest and practical.
by V on Aug 11th, 2009

Dr Chen is an enthusiastic high-energy fast-talking person, who does not mince words. If you want a tender discussion about your feelings, go see a therapist instead. Despite her rushed and abrupt manner, she has been pro-active about performing tests, correct about every diagnosis, supportive during treatment, and open-minded about concurrent alt therapy.Dr Chen does not seem to take notes, so be prepared, do your own research in advance, recap your history and explain your problems first thing. She is very knowledgable if you can ask the right questions ahd I am still a fan. Patient of 5 years.

Long wait for a good appointment show details Long wait for a good appointment
Jun 1st, 2009

I got in at 5 for a 5:15 appointment and didn't leave the office until 7:15. From the other ladies in the waiting room (there were 3 ahead of me when I got there) this is pretty standard, when there is a birth all appointments get pushed back and the patients wait. There is no nurse practitioner or anyone who can help out. In any case, the appointment was good, Dr. Chen took the time to asnswer quetions and explain things. She was very nice and I would go back again, but maybe for a morning appointment!

awful show details awful
by sarah brantch on Jan 5th, 2009

rude, insensitive, arrogant, cold, down right mean individual