inactive

Barbara J Mannel MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.9

November 26th, 2013
Too inconsistent, would not recommend
Dr Mannel at first was very nice and was interested in my history and my health. For the first time in a long time, I felt heard and I felt that a mental health provider was truly interested in helping me. Unfortunately this did not happen. As the weeks went on, she became less and less able to help me. Of the medications she prescribed, one was not effective and the other had intolerable side effects. I let her know this and expected we would make changes, as most medication providers do, and move ahead. No. Be careful about having too much of an opinion (being your own advocate) and be ready for her to take it personally if she doesn't get your meds right the first time or if you disagree with her. Pros: She is a good listener and if you are an easy fix, she may work for you; she is often taking new clients; you don't have to wait a long time in the waiting room or to schedule an appointment. Cons: She sends mixed messages about when to contact her; she takes it personally when things do not go well; she rambles on endlessly during sessions, often repeating herself 2-3 times or more; I found her to be unreliable as she more than once in a 2 month time span cancelled appointments with little notice. Sadly, I would not recommend.

January 12th, 2012
Dr. Mannel is hands down the best psychiatrist I have ever seen. Over the years I have seen several for depression and PTSD and never have I felt as heard and cared for as I have with Dr. Mannel. She is very generous with her time and you don't feel like you are being rushed out the door with a prescription in hand. She is conservative with medicine and is respectful of my desire to keep my medications to a minimum. She is an excellent psychiatrist and I would feel very confident recommending her to family and friends.

October 18th, 2011
Would not recommend
Listens and takes a lot of notes but does not remember or utilize notes. Asks the same questions over and over. Prescribed highly addicting medications after I asked specifically to avoid that. Has trouble with patients who are angry or agitated and takes it personally. Was not willing to work with my limited budget and started to demand I see her frequently.

January 31st, 2011
Excellent diagnosis and treatment. Friendly and understanding.

August 3rd, 2010
Sure, she's a bit eccentric. Oftentimes, you have to be patient as you wait for that golden nugget of wisdom within a stream of stammering as she collects her thoughts. But, she provides an astute and insightful perspective on one's problems. She is intelligent, thoughtful and well spoken as she articulates a intricacies of one's psyche that he or she has never pondered.