Internist

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
New office is HUGE disappointment!! show details New office is HUGE disappointment!!
by April on Jun 13th, 2015

My husband had been seeing Dr. Schach at her previous practice for about 10 years. She was absolutely wonderful while at Evergreen. When she moved to her new group practice (PacMed) he did not follow her, as the new location was inconvenient for him. A few years ago my own internist moved out of state. I was slow to find a new one, and while "between internists" I became ill. I decided to go see Dr. Schach, even though her new location is more than an hour drive away each way. I would rather have a skilled doctor than a convenient one, and many of my husband's coworkers believe her to be the best internist they have ever met. So I had high expectations. But the red flags started with the first phone call to make the appointment. I explained that I would be needing an appointment for both a new patient complete physical exam, and that I had a difficult medical issue that needed to be discussed and diagnosed. The receptionist set up the appointment. I asked how much time was scheduled, and she said 30 minutes. I told her that I didn't think that would be enough time, and asked if I could have two back to back appointment slots, one to establish a new patient baseline and one to discuss my current medical issue, as I lived a great distance away and didn't want to have to drive in for a separate appointment to discuss my medical concerns. She said that 30 minutes was the longest appointment they had, and that all appointments for returning patients would be shorter. Scheduling back to back appointments for people with multiple issues was not an option. I should have cancelled right then, but really wanted to see Dr. Schach so I kept the appointment. Dr. Schach was pleasant and empathetic and her manner oozed medical competence, but when she looked at my new patient form one of the first things she said was that there would be a lot to cover, and that she would need multiple appointments to get it all done. She spent most of the appointment taking my medical history, and then said that my appointment time was almost up so she should at least listen to my heart and lungs. Literally, that was the entirety of my new patient exam -- she listened to my chest. She told me that my heart and lungs sounded fine and that she would like to address anything further at a future appointment. I got the impression that she was about to leave the room and be done after that (I may have been wrong), so feeling desperate that this long drive not be a total waste I blurted out that I would like to at least have some bloodwork ordered, as I had an appointment with a specialist in 2 weeks and I had called their office already to find out what type of labwork they usually needed, in hopes of getting both routine screening tests and routine specialist tests all done with the same blood draw. She asked what I needed done, gave me some orders for lab tests, and told me where the lab was. I told her that since this was an afternoon appointment I had not fasted in the morning, but that I would have my fasting blood drawn at the lab near where I lived (I had already checked to be sure that they would do it). She said that was fine, but that unless it was done at their lab it would not be automatically placed in my electronic medical record. It would have to be transcribed by hand, and because of that she would only enter a few main tests, and all the remaining test results would be discarded!! Seriously, you don't have scanners set up for incoming medical records from doctors/labs outside your system, and so you just throw away anything that doesn't seem important to you at the moment!?! Unbelievable!! Well, at least I can get a copy of my complete test results sent to me so they'll be available if needed, right?? She said there would be no problem with them mailing me a copy of my results. Well, I left the office very disappointed, but I really liked her and decided that one rushed visit does not define a pattern, so I decided to wait for the lab results, and then after they were available to make a followup appointment to see if it went any better a second time. I had my blood drawn Tuesday, 6/2/15. The preliminary results were reported out 6/4/15, and the final results were reported out 6/9/15. I called the office on 6/10/15 to request that someone call me back with my lab results, and that they also mail me a copy. I was told that Dr. Schach was not in that day, but that someone would get back to me tomorrow, which was fine. Two days later I got a message on my answering machine from someone in the office. She said that because my blood was not drawn at their facility that they could not discuss the results with me, and that I would have to get my results directly from the lab. She also said that the one test that was done at their facility was normal. HUH???? Blood for all the tests was drawn at the same time, and all the tests were all run through the same lab. Why are you willing to tell me about one test and not the others? And what if I pick up my test results from the lab and they're outside the reference range? Am I supposed to look up what that means on Dr. Google, and then call your office to request a prescription, based on Dr. Google's advice? And while a patient does have the right to have a copy of their own lab report, the lab refused to provide it because my physician had not yet gone over it with me. They (understandably) don't want someone to get terrifying bad news in their waiting room, with no physician available to explain what the information means. After discovering this glitch, I simply went to a second receptionist at the lab, lied and told them that my doctor had already discussed everything with me, and I was given a copy. Thank goodness everything appears normal, but it's really not the patient's job to come to that conclusion. And what now? I'm a patient with a medical problem, my lab tests are normal, and my primary care physician not only refuses to tell me that my lab results are normal, but also hasn't called me for a "here's the next step" discussion. Maybe she will call in a week or two. Or maybe the specialist will find an explanation for my concerns. But I haven't been left with the feeling that a plan is in progress, other than to make a followup appointment to finish what should have been done at the first office call. While this recount is quite long, it is only the bare bones summary of the multiple phone calls, contradictory information I've been given, extremely variable levels of competence among support personnel, and overall run-around that I've received from Dr. Schach's PacMed office. This should have been a straightforward interaction. I am a veterinarian. At my office this all would have gone smoothly. My receptionist would have listened to why the appointment was requested, and would have scheduled an appropriate amount of time to address the needs of the patient. Previous medical records and lab reports would have been requested from all previous doctors to review before the appointment ( I offered, and previous medical records were not wanted). A complete medical history would have been taken, a complete head to toe exam would have been done, and diagnostic tests would have been ordered. Test results would have been discussed with the pet's owner asap after being received, and plans would have been made for whatever may be needed to reach a final solution. Thorough, efficient, and frustration-free, as medical problems are stressful enough without the added annoyance of unnecessary office mistakes or disabling corporate policies. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like this level of care will be available to me through PacMed, even if Dr. Schach is one of the best internist many people have ever met. Needless to say, I'm looking for a new internist. Sorry Dr. Schach -- I'm sure you're wonderful, but this is more frustration than any patient should be asked to endure.

Wonderful Doctor and Physician show details Wonderful Doctor and Physician
Nov 21st, 2011

Dr. Schach is an absolutely wonderful doctor who genuinely cares about her patients. She works in a large office and occasionally it takes longer to visit her, but it's well worth it! She is extremely knowledgeable, takes as much time as needed to explain any diagnosis, and personally follows up after bloodwork, surgeries, etc. She was my physician for 5 years and I miss her level of care. A truly wonderful doctor, and person.

Excellent Doctor show details Excellent Doctor
by Debbie on Mar 12th, 2010

I have been seeing Doctor Schach for about 10 years. She is punctual but doesn't make you feel rushed when you are in her office. She doesn't just brush things off to "nerves" but really works to find the cause of a problem. She is a very caring person and very knowledgable. She follows through if you are waiting for a phone call, refers you to specialists as needed, and really listens.