Dr. Barry Gritz MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

February 15th, 2016
Very upset
The office staff doesn't know how to fill out a prior authorization form. I spoke to Mary whom is very rude and doesn't like to do her job apparently. She lied on the phone and when I called back she doesn't remember. Timothy I guess whom handles prior authorization can't come to the phone because he is busy as well as the office manager. I've called nice the first time after being lied to and the run around about my kids prescription which they are out and seriously need. The office doesn't care if kids are out and if they mess up the paper work. You can't even talk to an office manager there because the staff says their busy They had my kids prescription and prior authorization since last thursday. The office tells me I need to call my insurance since they denied it. When the real reason after i spoke to my insurance they denied it was because they do not know how to fill out a form. They didn't even provide the diagnosis or answer any questions on the form. The just faxed back blank really people. Weird huh because they have my child's chart at there finger tips. I love dr. Gritz he is amazing my kids love him as well. But the staff sucks! Because they don't want to do they're jobs my kids have been with out their meds since last Thursday. They really need it is and no one there cares. I will be looking for another doctors office to go too.

November 26th, 2015
Dr. Gritz gave me some sleeping tablets to evaluate at my last visit. I forgot to get him my feedback. I have been taking lunesta for about a year now and would say lunesta works much better in getting to sleep and staying asleep. The test drug did not do much for me. See you in a couple weeks Barry!

August 17th, 2015
Excellent Doctor
EXCELLENT all around.

August 28th, 2014
These folks are the very best.

March 12th, 2014
Not your typical Dr's office
I was not a patient of Dr. Gritz, but his NP, but just from seeing him come and get patients, I could tell this was not your typical buttoned up psychiatrist office. His mom even makes sure there are cookies in the waiting room everyday. Real people answer the phone, calls are promptly returned, and both his and hers cell phone number are on the card. The staff is friendly and courteous. I was very comfortable immediately talking to Christine in her Asian inspired office sitting on a colorful futon. They know a lot about new treatments for different diagnosis that are a much healthier alternative than traditional prescription meds. I don't know about Dr. Gritz, but Christine will find and help coordinate other care that would be beneficial, even if it is a new PCP. She listens to you and actually cares about your problems, not just your medication. Maybe a little too slow to change meds that aren't working, instead piling more on, but maybe that was just with me. Would definitely recommend them, as long as you are not in crisis mode. Then you will just hear things will get better or you just hit a rough patch. Also, be very clear about what you say, as a lot of negative, sometimes, incorrect information seems to be what is heard on occasion.

October 2nd, 2013
The best!
When I first walked in his office I was like whoa!!!! But I soon came to realize all the Betty Boop stuff came as gifts from other patients. He is great at what he does. I went from almost committing suicide to living a happy peaceful life. I'm 25 and I cannot express how much Dr. Gritz and Christine have helped me. It's been almost 2 years I've been going there, and I would never switch doctors. I thank Dr. Gritz for saving my life.

June 6th, 2013
Love him and REALLY love Christine Wysong
I started seeing Dr. Gritz about 6 years ago, when I moved to Houston and needed a psychiatrist in the city. He was the first doctor to ever put me on a mood stabilizer (I've always been on only anti depressants). Doctors have told me I am bipolar in the past, but they never tried mood stabilizers. Dr. Gritz did, and it saved me. In the past couple of years I started seeing Christine (the nurse practitioner) instead, because his wait time is much longer. She is easier to get into, and equally incredible. This woman is highly knowledgable about the most current research on medications. I recently found out that I am pregnant, and called to inquire about changes in meds. Christine returned my phone call within 30 minutes and explained exactly what I needed to do. I trust her 100% and would recommend her to my closest family member.

May 9th, 2013
Best Shrink in the World
I had been seeing psychiatrists for eleven years prior to seeing Dr. G, and was the first one to diagnose my condition properly. He is patient, yet truthful. He listens and is genuinely concerned about his patients. He is really funny, and he office decor is fabulous. Sometimes I have to wait 30 minutes for my time, but I expect this since he can't just shove every psychiatric patient out the door like a automaton.

April 24th, 2012
Dr. Gritz is the best doctor i have ever seen. Everyone in the office is so nice and helpful. He is very easy to talk to and very knowledgable and very concerned. he always takes time to explain a condition and what the medicine is and explains the side effects. Not one doctor I have seen does that. I defently recomend him to everyone

January 5th, 2012
I FOUND DR.GRITZ TO BE VERY PLEASANT,ALTHOUGH IT WOULD OF BEEN NICE IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SEE HIM INSTEAD OF HIS NURSE PRACTIONER WHICH INFORMED ME THAT MY TIME WAS BASICALLY 15 MINUTES AND THAT WAS TO WRITE A RX FOR I BELIEVE 150.00. I THOUGHT THE APPOINTMENT WAS PER HOUR,OH SO SORRY, MY MISTAKE. I WAS PRETTY UPSET WHEN I WENT IN FOR MY FIRST APPOINTMENT AND AFTER HAVING MY 45 MINUTES FIRST APPOINTMENT THE NURSE BASICALLY TOLD ME THAT THEY DON'T SPEND TIME LISTENING TO PEOPLES PROBLEMS,SO IT SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU BASICALLY GO IN ,PAY 150.00 GET YOUR RX.S AND YOUR OUT OF THERE,AS FOR THE DOCTOR HE SEEMED VERY PERSONABLE.

September 22nd, 2011
Very professionl and engaging. Genuinely motivated to have a positive impact on the lives of his patients. Thanks for a positive experience!

June 2nd, 2010
The worst experience of my life....
A pretty horrible experience to say the least - I was given very strong anti psychotic medication after only being seen for about 45 min. I could have gotten any medication I wanted depending on how I tailored my story in my opinion - I was "diagnosed" based on my own comments and experiences about life and not established tests that would support my concerns. I think if I would've focused on being depressed I would've been given antidepressants no doubt. I was told that the medication given to me wasn't associated with diabetes which I am at high risk for yet found online that it truly was - with a lawsuit pending over people hurt by it no doubt! The medication I was given made me very suicidal on the first day and I couldn't reach a doctor for over 3 hours at their office. I was also overcharged and had to call to get a refund for the difference of what my insurance reimbursed their office. Stay away!! They just throw pills at you when they barely know you assuming it'll "fix" whatever problem you have. If you are seeking psychotic medication to fix you check online for other ways first if possible - or at least a more recommended doctor!