Adolescent Specialist, Psychiatrists
12 Case St
Ste 314
Norwich, CT 06360
860-823-1399
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

• Currently 2.2083333333333 of 4 stars
 |  BEST PSYCHIATRIST EVER!  |  show details
by Gloria Williams on Jan 7th, 2014

I have been in this office (starting with a DIFFERENT psychiatrist) since 2001. I was very displeased with the first person that I saw, and needed to find someone for one of my sons to see, as it turned out he has Aspergers Syndrome and Bipolar Disorder. Dr. Awwa was a savior to us both! He is kind and gentle and takes the time to find just the right medication to work for you. He involves you in your care and sincerely wants to know what your opinion is, since you are working as a team to help you get better. He NEVER rushes us out of he office, which also means the wait time to see him isn't optimal, but I'd rather wait a little longer and have a GOOD appointment than get right in to see a doctor who rushes me out without hearing what I have to tell him/her.

|  Dr Awwa- The BEST around.  |  show details
by Constance Vernier on Jun 14th, 2013

I began seeing Dr Awwa in 1994 when I was having a severe depressive episode with panic attacks and deep anxiety . While it took time to find the right anti-depressant Dr. Awwa always took the time to listen and act on my feed back. During the 19 years I've been his patient, he is always sympathetic and responsive. When needed he referred me to counselors for talk therapy. After a 5 or 6 years and three job changes he suggested I may have ADHD1 and suggested I try taking Adderall when I started my next job. I finally found work and started taking the medication. It was like someone opened the curtains and the sun steamed into my eyesight for the first time. My job was wonderful...the best work experience I'd ever had. I also began drawing, something I'd never done before. The results were pretty good, so I signed up for some drawing classes and continued on with classes in oil painting. To this day have a avocation which fills me with pride and happiness. None of this would have been possible without Dr Awwa's compassion, acumen and insights. Yes sometimes there's a wait to see him, but he's worth the waiting. He gives patients his full attention an appointment will take longer than expected. When you need the time, you know he'll be there. So thank you Dr Awwa, I'm living in Florida now and miss your care. I'm finding it hard to find anyone who comes close to the level of care you provided.

Jun 29th, 2012

he is the only dr that i would have for my daughter, he was caring, very understanding, and took the time to get to know her and if there was a problem with the meds he would get her right in and fix the problem.

|  terrible dr  |  show details
May 19th, 2012

I can't believe this guy works with people with psychiatric issues. I was simply switching drs and needed a dr to simply continue my treatment. Dr awwa made a comment about how it made him question my intentions because I have switched drs so many times.(while handing me a drug test order form) I live on CT RI border and have moved between the two about 4 times since I was 16.. then he talked to me a total of ten minutes and told me I was bi polar and needed a mood stabilizer. I was simply there to continue my ADD and anxiety treatment. The side effects for the mood stabilizer was blister in eyes and mouth in some people. I simply ask him to wait and get my file (I have files from now back to 2005) he basicly told me every dr I had had over the years were wrong and he didn't need to see them.

Jan 17th, 2012

I was seen in both the new london and norwich office for over a year. After my last visit i finally decided to find a new dr. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you sit in the waiting room 5 times longer than the time your in with the dr. They take on way too many patients. Every time I called and left a message i would never get a call back. I tried being making my appointments at 8am when they opened so i would be the 1st patient seen and that didnt work because dr awwa was always late. On a bunch of occasions he came in at 845. I felt like he didnt actually listen to anything that came out of my mouth. He half listens and then gives u a prescription and sends you on your way. unless u have all the time in the world and dont mind if your dr listens to anything u have to say, find another dr.

|  unbelievable ...i cant' believe he has a license  |  show details
Jan 13th, 2012

very unprofessional. Never on time if you have a 9:00am appt. don't expect him to drive into the office parking lot in his hummer or mercedes til 9:45 if you're lucky. He prescribes meds like the're candy even if you don't need or want them. Seems like he puts people on suboxene just so they don't leave him.

Nov 15th, 2011

Amazing bedside manner. Sincerely cares about his patients. Has gone above and beyond in helping my family on multiple occasions!

|  Thumbs Up!  |  show details
by Lois Arias on Oct 22nd, 2011

Dr Awwa is kind, compassionate and is well versed in the medications that his patients need. His therapists are wonderful.

|  smart doc  |  show details
Sep 24th, 2011

i think he is very smart and has helped me a great deal with a terriable doctor who perscribed oycodone to me for years, until i was completely addicted, he is helping me get my life back. so who ever is posting this stuff about him is wrong.

May 7th, 2011

Probably one of the most sickening Psychiatrist I will ever go to. Talk about 'drugging teens up'. To kids and prescription drug users in the New London County, if you want percs, xanax, adderall, whatever you would like, Dr. Awwa is the person to go to. I'm praying for the day he looses his license as a doctor.

|  Didn't mind the wait  |  show details
Nov 8th, 2010

I was referred to Dr. Awwa after moving to a new city/state by the EAP counselor at my husband's job. I was bedridden prior to our move, unemployed and the transition has been difficult for my husband, son and myself.I was seeing an excellent psychiatrist and therapist in NJ for over two years. Obviously I was concerned about starting the process over.I was extremely pleased with Doctor Awwa. Although the wait tie was long, he spent at least a half hour getting to know me. I felt he was compassionate and I look forward to working with him and a therapist in his Stonington Office.

|  best doctor  |  show details
Nov 4th, 2010

Dr. Awwa was very understanding and alawys gave me chances to get sobriety,if you wanna change and stay off drugs dr.awwa is the doctor to see.Suboxen works and its not a replacement like methadone,soif your sick and tiered of being sick and tiered then try suboxen and you will see that life can be possible with out drugs!!

|  DEA  |  show details
Jan 3rd, 2010

Doesn't Care about patients and is being referred to DEA.

|  worst place ever  |  show details
Nov 20th, 2009

don't know Dr. awwa, but this practice is the worst place ever. They don't care about the patients well being. I advise people not to go there. They recently denied me my medication...I see them twice a year and they cancelled my recent 6 month appoinment due to my doc's illness...so because I hadn't been seen in 6 months(my fault..how?)they would not refill my meds...I was without it for 3 days at this point and they refused to help me...ummm don't they tell you not to crash off the meds...well that is what they did to me with no problem. The director,Bob told me that I was using the fact of not having my antidepressant as an "ecuse" for being anxious and upset...clearly they care about money not the patient..wanted me to wait until an available appointment...give me money and then I will help you...completley threw me to the wolves...horrible people

|  Awesome Stonington Office  |  show details
by slg56229@yahoo.com on Oct 30th, 2009

I see Dr. T and am very happy with my visits. AJ is very professional with a warm smile and a nice personality. Dr. Awwa is very experienced in helping people get better as we are sick people getting well, not bad people getting good.

|  $$$  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2009

i seen this doctor for about a year and i wasnted alot of time and alot of money. he didnt care about my problems, just when he was getting his check. he wouldnt speak to me without first discussing payment options. he put me on a whole bunch of differnt meds and didnt even care how they effected me or if they even worked. i wouldnt recomend him to anybody, unless you somone cold and impersonal.

|  unprofessional  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2009

all about money this doctors is i was a pateint for 3 years and not once was i sent for bloodwork which is a must for the medication he was giving me at the end he wanted to go from 100 dollars a month to 440 dollars a month unethical unprofessional not a good doctor