Dr. Mason Kates MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

1.9

October 3rd, 2016
Rude and Condescending
Not a good ER experience at St. Francis

September 27th, 2016
Terrible bedside manner
When you are truly suffering at the ER, hope to God this man doesn't walk into the room. I would not trust my life in this mans hands.

March 27th, 2016
Who? Who are you? Why a huge bill for 4 minutes?
I received wonderful medical care at Penrose Hospital from the nurses and other doctors on call - but NOR Dr. Kates. Yet, his bill was bigger than those doctors who actually administered professional medical care. Dr. Kates, I got your bill and wondered who are you? Oh yeah, the guy who walked into my ER cubicle, glanced at my chart and said hello - and left. Dr. Kates, your bill is outrageous. You must be good at something, but you did nothing for me.

March 9th, 2015
Barely adequate
Had ER visit for chest discomfort and pain, indigestion and shoulder pain. All test came back normal, Dr. Came in told me that, never listened to my heart, etc... Just said it was probably GERD, after giving me nitro to see how I would react, them Zofran for nausea, made me drink Milk a magnesium with litacane and tol me to follow up with my dr.

October 23rd, 2011
XLNT
Dr. Kates sat quietly in a chair making notes before I noticed him in the ER. When I saw him he gave me a big smile. He seemed to be waiting for the nurses surrounding my bed to finish up. He was unassuming & put me at ease while at the same time he instilled confidence!

December 4th, 2009
in his defense
Well, I wouldn't totally agree w/ all these negative comments. As a former co-worker for several years, I have experienced first hand how Dr Kates practices in the ER. And while he's not perfect (as no one is), I wouldn't characterize him as being completely rude, arrogant, etc. Working in the ER is very stressful and many times patients have no idea what else is going on outside their little room/bed area. While some patients are understanding most believe that only their problem is the most urgent "emergency". Also have to remember that we ER people deal w/ many, many, many "rude, arrogant, hostile, violent, condescending folks w/ horrible manners." Dr Kates does care about his patients, he is conscientious of how he does his job and is compassionate but I also believe that he doesn't tolerate those who are unreasonably demanding or those who have belligerent tendencies, and I hope he doesn't.

August 26th, 2009
Perfect diagnosis- Caring
Dr Kates was able to diagnosis the illness and the best course of action 6 months ahead of the experts. He was caring and able to give us the straight facts. He is not quick to use antibiotics and gave me all the reasons why. He was right.