Dr. Bendt Petersen III MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Mobile, AL

3.1

March 1st, 2017
Trusting a Stranger
I met Dr. Petersen at the ER over 3 yrs ago & I trust this man with my life!! He's professional, thorough & genuinely cares about his patients!! I've have to also say his nurses & other support staff are absolutely wonderful!!

January 24th, 2017
These reviews scared me
After reading all these reviews I was really worried to take my husband to see this doctor. But he was very quick and straight to the point and told us how he was going to fix it so we will see how things go from here.

June 13th, 2016
Worst Physician Experience So Far
I have never in my life taken. The time to leave a review, positive, negative, or otherwise. But my visit with Dr. Petersen today was so horrendous, I feel as if everybody should be warned so they can avoid his condescending attitude and complete lack of compassion. During y first appointment he had my mri, but said he needed xrays to look farther into the problem. I brought xrays today for him to look at and he says "I don't need to see them, I have your mri', didn't bother discussing any options, doing an exam or anything except suggesting physical therapy. Which I'm totally fine with, except I have not met my deductible and cannot afford it right now. As this particular problem affects my career, I'm becoming upset. He sets his pen down and asks "well what else do you want me to do?" As if I went to medical school and am aware of all other options. As he's leaving the room to get the nurse, me mutters "god d****t " (excuse my language) under his breath as he throws down my chart. He's condescending, rude, and completely unhelpful. And if I had read these other reviews beforehand, I wouldn't have ever wasted my time to see him.

February 22nd, 2016
Put me through torment
Did not tell me that results of an MRI showed a mass at the back surgery site where he had nicked the dura (his repair had opened back up). I had to have another back surgery to have rods and screws removed so neurosurgeon could remove the mass and repair the dura. All Petersen ever said was " what I did looks fine. I don't know what's wrong with you" I had all the symptoms, he just couldn't admit he'd messed up.

February 2nd, 2016
Terrible bedside manners!!!!
I don't even know what too say about this doctor. Very rude and wanted to invade my personal business instead of treating me as a patient. He asked why was I disabled and if I was suing for my injury and that he did not want to be involved in a lawsuit!!!! Rude

April 1st, 2015
Very unprofessional, extremely rude. Horrible experience!

March 2nd, 2015
Did not care!
Left my mom in the hospital after lumbar fusion without checking on her. Did not care about her recovery or lack of.

October 14th, 2014
Back surgery
Doctor Peterson has the absolute worse bedside manner of any doctor I have ever seen. My husband was put on leave from work and doctor Peterson refused to work with him on workmans comp. It took nearly 5 months for my husband to get approved for workmans comp due to Doctor Peterson not cooperating with the paperwork. His bedside manner has at best been curt and mostly plain rude. My husband finally had his back surgery which proved no results other than worse back pain. When Peterson had the MRI done he explained to my husband that everything was fine as there was nothing to be causing the pain in his back. My husband said "well I can tell you everything is not fine I am in terrible pain" Doctor Peterson refuses to give him pain meds to ease the pain or cooperate with my husband who has been very patient and tried to put his trust in this scumbag of a doctor. Finally the last visit my husband told Doctor Peterson he would have never had surgery if he had known he would have this bad of pain. Doctor Peterson stormed out of the room which is typical of him and his temper tantrums. Please do not waste your time with this doctor. He is truly a jerk, rude, ruthless, and has no empathy for people or helping them. I hope Karma gets him he deserves what he has put out. I wish I could put a minus 10 on his ratings because he doesn't even deserve a one star.

May 31st, 2014
Dr. Petersen performed spinal fusion on me in 2006. I enjoyed about 6 years of relief. Unfortunately a lifetime of misuse due to caring for a paraplegic family member caused my discs to collapse and arthritis set in. Two years of therapy, epidurals and facet blocks made life bearable until the epidurals ceased to provide relief longer than 6 days. After exhausting all other treatments, I opted for additional fusion in order to give myself a better quality of life. (I am in my mid 60s). Dr. Petersen performed the second surgery as well. I am recovering very well as I do everything he has specified. Each time I have an appointment, Dr. P greets me, listens to my concerns, and always asks if there is anything else I need to discuss before he leaves. Our conversations are never done with the door open for others to hear. I have been very pleased with his approach to my problems. He never rushed to surgery, but exhausted other less invasive treatments before even suggesting surgery. In fact, it was I who finally told him the other methods weren't working any more and I asked about surgery. He has shown me the xrays of the surgery and explained what he did and why so I would better understand what I would be able to do and not do. I firmly believe you have to be totally honest with your physician and follow his directions precisely after whatever treatment you receive. I respect his professional approach. But then again, I have private insurance. My experience with workers comp cases is that usually the patient embellishes the truth and exaggerates the severity for financial gain and not true relief. I will continue to use Dr Petersen for any other issues within his expertise. Since you can't score between stars, I give him. 3.5 out of 4. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Don't know of anyone who can't improve .

March 7th, 2014
Worst Dr EVER
Never in all my life have I had such a terrible experience with a Doctor. Dr. Peterson had total blatant disregard for the issues and conditions that led us to his office. He is rude, crude, and absolutely the worst bedside manner I have ever seen. The patient (my husband), has had chronic back pain for more than 10 years, and is on disability for this condition. He reinjured his back on Feb 25th and spent a week in the bed. Taking up to 20 minutes for us to get him up in the mornings. Having just moved from Florida, and needing to establish a doctor in Mobile, we made an appointment to see Dr Peterson ( not by request, but just by calling the office to get into see someone). Upon our very first visit with Dr Peterson, he walked into to the room, didn't introduce himself, nor care about our names. Rudely the first thing he said to us...."So, why are you disabled?"...basically, he spent less than 3 minutes with us and ordered an MRI. Our follow up visit a week later was even worse. Never once did we ask this man for any type of pain meds, and have great insurance. But during the second visit, he walked in the room, again with no greeting or concern. And while glancing at the MRI report (which clearly shows all the problems that exist in his spine and back, as well as a new problem, a cyst on his kidney). Dr Peterson then said...."We need to see where the pain is coming from". My husband told him, "I can tell you where.... Middle of my back down both legs and in my pelvic area.".....At this, Dr Peterson asked us.."So what do you want from me?"..... My husband said, "I don't know, your my doctor!"... To this, Dr Peterson threw his pen down and said....."I'm not your doctor anymore"... And stormed out of the room. I followed him down the hallway to express my feelings towards him. I was glad I could at least tell him that he is an awful man, no beside manner, couldn't even introduce himself to us, and treated us like total garbage. I hate that we had that bad of an experience with that Dr, I am sure there are good doctors in that group. However, we will be finding a different group and doctor to continue any treatment. I would not recommend Dr Peterson to my worst enemy. And with any luck Karma will someday give this man some spinal pain to live with. I by no means ever want to rate a 1 star..... If I could do negative stars I would.

October 31st, 2013
Don't bother
Dr Petersen might be a good doctor if you are using Blue Cross or some other private insurance but if you are on workers comp then you're done. He wouldn't listen to not I said he wouldn't address my issues to the insurance he said it wasn't his job (bull crap) and he said it was too much paper work and he just blew me off. I wouldn't recommend this scum bag to my worst enemy. I told my primary doctor what he said and he said I should have handed him some tissue so he could have cleaned all that do do of his nose cause he is deep up in the workers comp insurance butt. So if you have read this then take my word if you're on workers comp and they send you to him be prepared to get screwed !!!!!!

October 5th, 2013
What a joke
If you are on workers comp don't go see this joke of a doctor he will treat you like crap. He ain't worth the sum his pappy shot in his mammie !!!!!