Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat)
Video profile
Glen Iris
619 19th St S
Birmingham, AL 35249
800-822-8816
Locations and availability (7)

2.5

|  Great doctor!  |  show details
Feb 17th, 2014

Dr. McGrew is brilliant; he listens to my concerns and I feel that he actually cares about my health. I highly recommend him to anyone suffering from ear problems or balance issues.

|  RUDE AND ARROGANT  |  show details
Sep 10th, 2013

Went in to see Dr. McGrew because of my noise-induced hearing loss, hyperacusis, and tinnitus. Two of the nurses were very rude to me. Dr. McGrew was disrespectful, short, impatient, rude, etc! I could go on and on about this jerk. He told me the treatment for my hearing loss is steroids and told me side effects are dead hip, coma, etc. Then I asked if the tinnitus would go away and he responded, " Um, you're not getting it. You're obviously not understanding what I said, and what I just said went straight over your head... The tinnitus is a side effect of hearing loss." He never told me that. The entire time I met with him he talked down to me and acted like he was superior. I asked if the ringing will ever stop on its own without the steroids and he responded, "It's like you want me to tell you there's a magic pill or something. I'll tell you what happens, when the ringing doesn't stop and people go suicidal, we cut an incision in their head and go in and fix the nerves and then sew their head back up.. Is that what you want? An incision in your head?" I'm not making this up. Yes, this is a real doctor who is supposedly "the best." He wasn't compassionate, and he was an arrogant A$$. He left the room before I could even finish my questions.

|  Disrespectful, Rude, Impolite  |  show details
Oct 20th, 2012

Would not listen to my explanation, in a rush, short and cynical with me, impatient, and acted superior. Truly felt uncared for. Definitely will not be back or recommend to anyone. Avoid this physician at all cost.

|  Dr, McGrew  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

Answered all my questions to my satisfaction post surgery...Because scan was not indicative of all my problems I signed to have any poblems locaed during surgery repaired and he did. outcome very satifactory and will be following up with him with all future visits regardless that i have to travel several hours....past doctors never fixed my problem.

|  Excellent provider  |  show details
Apr 10th, 2012

Showed up at UAB ENT at 12:30 for a 2:30pm appointment. Was inprocessed right away, administered hearing and other diagnostic tests. Met with Dr. McGrew shortly thereafter to confirm diagnosis and establish follow-up treatment plan. Completely satisfied with visit. Would definitely recommend him for other ENT issues.

|  show details
Jun 4th, 2011

I really enjoy visiting Dr. McGrew! He is very professional and the staff seem very caring. He did all test possible to find out why I was having dizzy spells and trying to ease them aong with the tiniutus in my ears. Very caring!!

|  SEEMS SELF-INVOLVED  |  show details
Mar 20th, 2011

I spent several months with Dr. McGrew treating a loss of hearing problem and severe tinnitus. He couldn't offer me anything but steroids the 2nd visit and seems kind of disinterested in my trouble. I couldn't recommend him to anyone. He doesn't apppear to be very innovative.

|  cattle prod attitude  |  show details
by Donald Edwards on Oct 17th, 2010

We had two meeting in which he said three things that he later could not recall. He seemed curt as if he basically could care less about me as a patient. After 4 visits, I realized that he never actully thought about my illness much. He is a typical textbook doctor. Do not reccommend!

|  textbook type doctor  |  show details
by Roland Davys on Aug 11th, 2010

Saw Ben McGrew, MD for 8 months and I felt like I came away wiuth next to nothing but a bit bill and no real answers nto my problems with my hearing. He was vague and often only told me PART of the info I need to make the right decision. I am sad that he does not take more of an interest in his patients and not run people through like cattle for the $$.

|  dr. McGrew  |  show details
by john holey on Mar 23rd, 2010

Looks clean, but seems to take the easy route to diagnostics, the familiar. When people are sicj they need innovation and enthusiam....he lacks that.