Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

• Currently 3.2758620689655 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.2758620689655 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Megan A on Jun 25th, 2014

Dr. Raxlen is very knowledgeable about Lyme and its co-infections, and if you have been infected with any of the above he is one of the best doctors around for treatment. The downside, as can be read in many of these reviews, is his office. They rarely return phone calls (actually, they rarely answer the phone so you'll most likely reach only the answering service or a recording). He's got to get it together and hire a better staff.

Apr 19th, 2014

Please stay away from Dr. Raxlen. He nearly ki me with his "treatment" of me. His office did not return any calls I urgently made and ignored calls made by a family member about me. He has been fined as you can see by reading about his history in Connecticut. I survived his expensive "treatment"--complete and utter negligence-- by getting to an emergency room in time.

|  Saved our lives!  |  show details
by Phyllis, Lyssie&Weeza D of CT on Mar 12th, 2014

My daughters and I were sick with flu like symptoms in the early 1990's...after Yale doctors, Boston Childrens Hospital and numerous doctors in CT, Mass. & New York were baffled we for 6 years continued to to grow worse. There were over thirty people in our neighborhood with the very same symptoms.!!! Finally 2 of the neighbors were diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I was amazed at the recovery of these 2 people and sought the same help they received. It was a very difficult time for me and my daughter who had lost their health, their activities, their childhood basically! Dr. Bernard Raxlen was nothing but kind, considerate and thorough. We were tested blood (WESTERN BLOT), urine(ANTIGEN) etc etc. LYME DISEASE ALL THE WAY! Before my 2 neighbors diagnosis never heard of this dreadful disease! It was a rough road and if not for Dr. Raxlen we would not venture to guess what fate had in store for us! I will always be grateful to this man. I am angered that many jealous doctors who dropped the ball had the nerve to scorn this man when what he did for us they now do! A combo of IV & Oral antibiotic, He prescribed plus nutrients, herbals and supports he recommended along with our Naturopath....Again We are grateful for this wonderful human being with the intelligence unlike any other! Thank you Dr. Raxlen!

|  Terribly run office, no follow up  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2014

Honestly, Dr. Raxlen helped get me better and I like his personality. But he has no follow up, never tested liver or kidney after months of heavy meds, and his office is incredibly unreliable. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is the office. When you do have a problem, even if it is urgent, it can take days for the doctor to phone back. His office is run horribly, his staff does not care. Tests results are put in the wrong place, it can take weeks to get a refill sent, messages lost, and on. Good luck with an emergency - I had a bad reaction to my meds and I didn't get a call back for two days! I just went off of them and waited. The office made me feel as though I don't have support or backup. That's not good when you're on 3 antibiotics and a handful of other meds.

|  Mistreated by Bernard Raxlen MD  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2013

Dangerous doctor. Why is a psychiatrist treating Lyme disease? There are far too many issues with this "psychiatrist" to trust him.

|  Dr. Raxlen has been disciplined by the state of CT . Do not trust him please.  |  show details
by KR on Jul 3rd, 2013

Dr. Raxlen made me very ill while I was under his "care". I did all the tests he requested, and followed his suggestions which included drinking liquid clay (ordered from a Brooklyn pharmacy and mailed to my house) for 5 days. I was not allowed to eat anything --just drank liquid clay for 5 straight days with water. This was his treatment for severe depression. At my follow up appointment he said I had "lost weight." Interesting but that happens when you starve. He then prescribed Dilantin for major severe depression. I had a severe reaction to the medication and numerous calls to his office went unanswered. The secretary finally told my frantic parent that "His wife has an art show so he is not in the office." No return calls ever came and I went to the college infirmary where a competent doctor was appalled at the prescription and the fact that the emergency phone calls were not returned. The doctor in the infirmary (who I had never met) saved my life with his intervention. When I called for my records Dr. Raxlen's office refused to send them to me and literally asked if I intended to sue him. Please use my experience as guide when deciding whether or not to see this dangerous, highly egotiscal, arrogant "doctor" who claims to be a psychiatrist. There is also information on a website called Quackwatch. There are many law abiding, competent, humanitarian physicians who will treat you with respect. He is not one of them. It's about him, his ego, his notoriety and, most importantly, his wallet.

|  Psychiatrist ??  |  show details
Jan 25th, 2013

I feel this dr is more of a psychiatrist. He is too quick to push very strong anti biotics on people. I personally would not recommend him, it just wasn't for me.

|  TERRIBLE DR. VERY RUDE AND DISTRACTED  |  show details
Aug 16th, 2012

He was distracted the whole time and told me that my lyme test was a false positive. I am now sick and in a wheelchair. He could have helped me but instead gave me antidepressants.

|  Billiant & by far THE sharpest knife on the scalpel tray!!!  |  show details
Feb 10th, 2012

Dr. Raxlen is the most brilliant, caring and comprehensive doctor around. He has an amazing, cutting edge knowledge of medicine and takes the time to explain whatever is needed to better understand. He is very impressive working with other practitioners as well. My other practitioners that he worked with were relieved of some unknowns that were out of their area and actually were happy to have him on board for me. Dr. Raxlen and his staff have pulled me out of some intensely serious medical problems and I couldn't be more thankful. Even in the worst of my illness (touch and go with my life) he could make me smile and I knew I was in the best hands possible! Thank you God for this doctor.

|  Credentials  |  show details
Nov 30th, 2011

How does one become an infectious disease specialist and internist when the education indicates psychiatry?????

|  Dr.Raxlen is second to none!  |  show details
Sep 2nd, 2011

He is the smartest Doctor I have ever seen. He is patient, caring, attentive, open minded and has gotten every diagnosis right-the first time! You will never find a better doctor. Very very smart.Make an appointment-you will never regret it!

Jun 28th, 2011

Without Dr Raxlen and Carolyn Welcome, I don't think I'd be here today to write this. I got the typical response to Lyme disease in NH, if ELISA isn't positive you don't have Lyme (even though Western Blot was Positive) My hands were so swollen they looked like a catchers mitt and my doctor at the time said there were no physical symptoms, gave me prozac and sent me on my way. Dr Raxlen and Carolyn Welcome were dedicated to treating my complex case of Lyme Disease and after almost 12 months, I'm a different person, it was definitely a rough road to get here but well worth it. Dr Raxlen and staff are great at reminding me that I would get worse before I got better and helped me through the times when other medical providers disagreed with my diagnosis. Dr. Raxlen is extremely impressive with his knowledge of tick born diseases, has the ability to put people at ease while at the same time maintaining a professional demeanor. He truly is one of a kind and we need more doctors like him in the medical community!

|  the worst dr i have ever seen  |  show details
Jun 8th, 2011

this dr is a charlatan. i saw him for chronic lyme for a year. he put me in thyroid storm through improper medication management, and he is stunningly ignorant when it comest to truly trating lyme. his office was shabbily run, he made you feel rushed and he is very harmful in his practice. i cannot emphasise emough how awful this man is. he sickened me-literally.

|  One of a kind  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2011

I am so grateful to Dr. Raxlen. He saved my life. I was losing hope after being on and off oral antibiocs for over year. I became suicidal and wanted to die. I couldn't take it anymore. My vision was failing and I was having heart problems. I couldn't sleep, eat, walk and i was losing my mind. I met with two infectious desease drs before I found Dr. Raxlen. He has been my dr. for 7 months now. I am convinced I met him just in time. There isn't a doubt in my mind I wouldn't be here if he wasn't treating me. Caroline is just as wonderful. My husband and my children love Dr. Raxlen and Caroline just as much as I do. His office visits aren't cheap, but its a small price to pay to get your life back!! I continue to get better every day!!

|  HERO  |  show details
Feb 28th, 2011

Dr Raxlen saved my life. I believed I was too far gone and almost committed suicide. After seeing Dr Raxlen and beginning treatment , I slowly began to get my life back. Thanks to him, my children did not lose their mother!!

|  Dr. Raxlen  |  show details
by Richard W. DeSantis on Apr 25th, 2010

The BEST !!He saved my life.My GP told me that Lyme Disease didn't exist in Sullivan County, NY.(my home)After 8 months or so of mis-diagnosis I was able to get into Dr. Raxlen.Not only did he find that I had Lyme Disease, I also was infected with the parasite, Babesiosis.I can never thank Dr. Raxlen & his Staff for what they did for me.

Aug 6th, 2009

This doctor is a a medical detective as far as I'm concerned. He found the cause of various health issues that my daughter had. He would not give up to find what would make her better after finally determining the cause(s). Numerous other doctors failed attempts or just didn't care and passed the buck.Brilliant and caring.

|  He's the best!  |  show details
by Mtndog on Oct 23rd, 2008

He's been amazing for me! i feel lucky to have found him.

|  Amazing Doctor  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2008

I was referred to Dr. Raxlen from a more local doctor that had been treating me but felt I needed the expertise of Dr. Raxlen. I was extremely impressed and feel I'm definitely in excellent hands.

|  Grateful to have found Dr. Raxlen  |  show details
by Susan Chinnock on Aug 22nd, 2008

As with so many others, we went to 22 doctors without getting a diagnosis or treatment and then were lucky enough to find Dr. Raxlen. I credit him with giving my daughter back her life.