Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Ann M. on May 11th, 2016

Thank goodness for Dr.Raxlen! In the early 90's I became very ill with a severe fatigue and many other medical problems. I visited my own personal physician as well as several other top infectious disease docs in the Norwalk/Stamford and New Haven areas of CT. ALL of them denied that I could have Lyme as my tests were equivocal or negative. No one pursued my illness. I lost my career and home and was turned away by my family who would not help me. Through my own searching I found Dr.Raxlen and HE INVESTIGATED MY COMPLAINTS...TESTED ME...AND I DID TEST POSITIVE FOR LYME AND OTHER TICK BORN INFECTIONS ! Through Dr.Raxlen's care and treatment and monitoring I gradually became well enough to continue with my life. Thank you Dr. Raxlen.

Dr. Raxlen show details Dr. Raxlen
Feb 26th, 2016

Dr. Raxlen IS a very intelligent and experienced practitioner. He is extremely motivated to aggressively treat NEW patients. However, his main problem is when it comes to people who have been suffering with the illness for so many years that their immune system is just too weak to rally an immune response. This would include a LOT of people. He has some weaknesses. He never checked or discussed my immunoglobulins which would have told him I never had a chance with treatment. He should have tested me for mycoplasma and never did. He treats and if you don't respond, he just says to be patient, you'll have your life back. He is extremely expensive and requires you to follow up with him via conference call ever three months. While on conference call, he has you on speaker phone and can be heard the entire time sifting through his extremely cluttered office. He is aprox 77 years old and has absolutely no understanding of what the internet is. He puts quite a bit of pressure on you to buy expensive supplements that he earns a percentage of money on. He has a tremendous ego. He has his staff announce when he is ready to see you and you are ushered to him as though he is a "king." He clearly enjoys being patted on the back and being treated as a "hero." He is extremely emotionally defensive of anyone that questions his methodology. He talks about his life, his education and his success as though he is in love with himself. Not only did I not respond to his treatment, but when I didn't, he suggested I file for bankruptcy so I could complete more I.V. therapy. When I did complete another six months of I.V. therapy and did not respond, he just stated I was in remission...however, the infection got worse. It entered the tissues of my left eye which began to swell and had me looking like I was punched. On my office visit after six or seven years, he said "Geez, what happened to your eye?" He was looking at a rife Lyme disease infection right in front of him. I said "I don't know whats happening, it just seems to get worse from time to time. At that point, he seemed in my opinion to be frightened. From that point on, he began to try to make me believe I was in remission...He used an "arm wrestle" type of technique to "test me for infection." He did not suggest any diagnostic laboratory testing and again said I was in the clear. I explained all my symptoms were still present and some were even worse. He then suggested I take some medication that people with Alzheimer's use, on a lower dosage. When I asked if it would heal me, he had no response. He suggested I return to life and work. I wrote him an Email explaining it would not be possible outlining my symptoms. This felt like I was again fighting the system to convince the powers that be that I was really in fact sick. Only I was having to state my case to the very provider who was supposed to be helping me. He was extremely offended about the Email even though it was not accusing him of any wrong doing. When I returned to his office, he looked at me and said "You're not going to get away with that." "I want this treatment to stop." He then told me I would have to return back to NY city for the next visit instead of a conference call. On all of my conference calls previous to this...I would sit at home for an entire day waiting for the call to come. If the appt was for 11 am...the call may not come until 2, 3...4..and in some cases, it never came. If I would call to ask if there was a problem, I was told to be patient. And this is how the last couple of years went. I'd wait all day long for his call...and then finally, he called me on time..right on the dot and I got to the phone as it went to voice mail. When I called back, I was told he was busy with another patient. I always made ever single appointment in NY on time. Every appt I waited a minimum of two hours. He wants that money though. It's a huge deal to him. I'm not sure how much money I invested in his practice, if I had to guess it was between 17 and 20 thousand. In the end, he manhandled me with his arm wrestle diagnostic test, talked to me like I was an idiot and blew me off, making things extremely stressful for me. The only thing I can really say positive about him is that he did complete my disability paperwork for quite a long period of time. He made a very good case for me in his letter of medical necessity. Because of this, I was able to survive long enough to find another doctor who has a much better understanding of the immune system and was much more aggressive in treatment. Raxlen may be good if you have not had the disease long enough to destroy most of your immune system and you have a good savings to pay to him so he can go on exotic vacations to Brazil. I loved the guy at first because he has a very charming spirit. He knows what to say and just when you need a pat on the back to keep you going. My main criticism is, he will treat you, but he does not do the homework to find out how you are responding to treatment. If you have no immunoglobulin response, you are stuck in the mud. You will not get better. So either he knows this and keeps it hidden while collecting your lifes savings as you linger through life hoping for some miracle that never arrives....OR he never checks to see how your immune system is responding at all because his ego is so big. Finally he made the suggestion that my Psychiatrist "support me" for disability. He also could have tested me for Mycoplasma and that would have indicated my immune system was flat on its back because it was so ridiculously high.

Jul 11th, 2015

He saved my son's life.

by Megan A on Jun 25th, 2014

Dr. Raxlen is very knowledgeable about Lyme and its co-infections, and if you have been infected with any of the above he is one of the best doctors around for treatment. The downside, as can be read in many of these reviews, is his office. They rarely return phone calls (actually, they rarely answer the phone so you'll most likely reach only the answering service or a recording). He's got to get it together and hire a better staff.

Saved our lives! show details Saved our lives!
by Phyllis, Lyssie&Weeza D of CT on Mar 12th, 2014

My daughters and I were sick with flu like symptoms in the early 1990's...after Yale doctors, Boston Childrens Hospital and numerous doctors in CT, Mass. & New York were baffled we for 6 years continued to to grow worse. There were over thirty people in our neighborhood with the very same symptoms.!!! Finally 2 of the neighbors were diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I was amazed at the recovery of these 2 people and sought the same help they received. It was a very difficult time for me and my daughter who had lost their health, their activities, their childhood basically! Dr. Bernard Raxlen was nothing but kind, considerate and thorough. We were tested blood (WESTERN BLOT), urine(ANTIGEN) etc etc. LYME DISEASE ALL THE WAY! Before my 2 neighbors diagnosis never heard of this dreadful disease! It was a rough road and if not for Dr. Raxlen we would not venture to guess what fate had in store for us! I will always be grateful to this man. I am angered that many jealous doctors who dropped the ball had the nerve to scorn this man when what he did for us they now do! A combo of IV & Oral antibiotic, He prescribed plus nutrients, herbals and supports he recommended along with our Naturopath....Again We are grateful for this wonderful human being with the intelligence unlike any other! Thank you Dr. Raxlen!

Terribly run office, no follow up show details Terribly run office, no follow up
Mar 4th, 2014

Honestly, Dr. Raxlen helped get me better and I like his personality. But he has no follow up, never tested liver or kidney after months of heavy meds, and his office is incredibly unreliable. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is the office. When you do have a problem, even if it is urgent, it can take days for the doctor to phone back. His office is run horribly, his staff does not care. Tests results are put in the wrong place, it can take weeks to get a refill sent, messages lost, and on. Good luck with an emergency - I had a bad reaction to my meds and I didn't get a call back for two days! I just went off of them and waited. The office made me feel as though I don't have support or backup. That's not good when you're on 3 antibiotics and a handful of other meds.

Dr. Raxlen has been disciplined by the state of CT . Do not trust him please. show details Dr. Raxlen has been disciplined by the state of CT . Do not trust him please.
by KR on Jul 3rd, 2013

Dr. Raxlen made me very ill while I was under his "care". I did all the tests he requested, and followed his suggestions which included drinking liquid clay (ordered from a Brooklyn pharmacy and mailed to my house) for 5 days. I was not allowed to eat anything --just drank liquid clay for 5 straight days with water. This was his treatment for severe depression. At my follow up appointment he said I had "lost weight." Interesting but that happens when you starve. He then prescribed Dilantin for major severe depression. I had a severe reaction to the medication and numerous calls to his office went unanswered. The secretary finally told my frantic parent that "His wife has an art show so he is not in the office." No return calls ever came and I went to the college infirmary where a competent doctor was appalled at the prescription and the fact that the emergency phone calls were not returned. The doctor in the infirmary (who I had never met) saved my life with his intervention. When I called for my records Dr. Raxlen's office refused to send them to me and literally asked if I intended to sue him. Please use my experience as guide when deciding whether or not to see this dangerous, highly egotiscal, arrogant "doctor" who claims to be a psychiatrist. There is also information on a website called Quackwatch. There are many law abiding, competent, humanitarian physicians who will treat you with respect. He is not one of them. It's about him, his ego, his notoriety and, most importantly, his wallet.

Psychiatrist ?? show details Psychiatrist ??
Jan 25th, 2013

I feel this dr is more of a psychiatrist. He is too quick to push very strong anti biotics on people. I personally would not recommend him, it just wasn't for me.

TERRIBLE DR. VERY RUDE AND DISTRACTED show details TERRIBLE DR. VERY RUDE AND DISTRACTED
Aug 16th, 2012

He was distracted the whole time and told me that my lyme test was a false positive. I am now sick and in a wheelchair. He could have helped me but instead gave me antidepressants.

Billiant & by far THE sharpest knife on the scalpel tray!!! show details Billiant & by far THE sharpest knife on the scalpel tray!!!
Feb 10th, 2012

Dr. Raxlen is the most brilliant, caring and comprehensive doctor around. He has an amazing, cutting edge knowledge of medicine and takes the time to explain whatever is needed to better understand. He is very impressive working with other practitioners as well. My other practitioners that he worked with were relieved of some unknowns that were out of their area and actually were happy to have him on board for me. Dr. Raxlen and his staff have pulled me out of some intensely serious medical problems and I couldn't be more thankful. Even in the worst of my illness (touch and go with my life) he could make me smile and I knew I was in the best hands possible! Thank you God for this doctor.

Dr.Raxlen is second to none! show details Dr.Raxlen is second to none!
Sep 2nd, 2011

He is the smartest Doctor I have ever seen. He is patient, caring, attentive, open minded and has gotten every diagnosis right-the first time! You will never find a better doctor. Very very smart.Make an appointment-you will never regret it!

Jun 28th, 2011

Without Dr Raxlen and Carolyn Welcome, I don't think I'd be here today to write this. I got the typical response to Lyme disease in NH, if ELISA isn't positive you don't have Lyme (even though Western Blot was Positive) My hands were so swollen they looked like a catchers mitt and my doctor at the time said there were no physical symptoms, gave me prozac and sent me on my way. Dr Raxlen and Carolyn Welcome were dedicated to treating my complex case of Lyme Disease and after almost 12 months, I'm a different person, it was definitely a rough road to get here but well worth it. Dr Raxlen and staff are great at reminding me that I would get worse before I got better and helped me through the times when other medical providers disagreed with my diagnosis. Dr. Raxlen is extremely impressive with his knowledge of tick born diseases, has the ability to put people at ease while at the same time maintaining a professional demeanor. He truly is one of a kind and we need more doctors like him in the medical community!

the worst dr i have ever seen show details the worst dr i have ever seen
Jun 8th, 2011

this dr is a charlatan. i saw him for chronic lyme for a year. he put me in thyroid storm through improper medication management, and he is stunningly ignorant when it comest to truly trating lyme. his office was shabbily run, he made you feel rushed and he is very harmful in his practice. i cannot emphasise emough how awful this man is. he sickened me-literally.

One of a kind show details One of a kind
Apr 25th, 2011

I am so grateful to Dr. Raxlen. He saved my life. I was losing hope after being on and off oral antibiocs for over year. I became suicidal and wanted to die. I couldn't take it anymore. My vision was failing and I was having heart problems. I couldn't sleep, eat, walk and i was losing my mind. I met with two infectious desease drs before I found Dr. Raxlen. He has been my dr. for 7 months now. I am convinced I met him just in time. There isn't a doubt in my mind I wouldn't be here if he wasn't treating me. Caroline is just as wonderful. My husband and my children love Dr. Raxlen and Caroline just as much as I do. His office visits aren't cheap, but its a small price to pay to get your life back!! I continue to get better every day!!

HERO show details HERO
Feb 28th, 2011

Dr Raxlen saved my life. I believed I was too far gone and almost committed suicide. After seeing Dr Raxlen and beginning treatment , I slowly began to get my life back. Thanks to him, my children did not lose their mother!!

Aug 6th, 2009

This doctor is a a medical detective as far as I'm concerned. He found the cause of various health issues that my daughter had. He would not give up to find what would make her better after finally determining the cause(s). Numerous other doctors failed attempts or just didn't care and passed the buck.Brilliant and caring.

He's the best! show details He's the best!
by Mtndog on Oct 23rd, 2008

He's been amazing for me! i feel lucky to have found him.

Amazing Doctor show details Amazing Doctor
Sep 30th, 2008

I was referred to Dr. Raxlen from a more local doctor that had been treating me but felt I needed the expertise of Dr. Raxlen. I was extremely impressed and feel I'm definitely in excellent hands.

Grateful to have found Dr. Raxlen show details Grateful to have found Dr. Raxlen
by Susan Chinnock on Aug 22nd, 2008

As with so many others, we went to 22 doctors without getting a diagnosis or treatment and then were lucky enough to find Dr. Raxlen. I credit him with giving my daughter back her life.