Dr. Bert Mandelbaum MD Patient Reviews

• 71 reviews

February 13th, 2017
Great experience... Great care... Great treatment...
Doctor is top notch, and staff leaves little to be desired. I would definitely recommend.

February 1st, 2017
Quick and painless ACL surgery
Dr Mandelbaum's team was kind, informative and attentive during my entire ACL reconstructive process. Their communication is incredibly prompt and intimate, and the entire staff shows a level of personal attention that made recovery from a difficult surgery emotionally and physically manageable for me. I had a wonderful experience with this team and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an orthopedic surgeon.

February 1st, 2017
Best in Class Doctor
There are few doctors in LA who have as much experience in ACL surgery (as an example) than Dr. Mandelbaum. He is not only the premier go-to expert, but is also proactive in practicing the latest techniques and encouraging active recovery.

January 4th, 2017
ACL Recovery On-Track
Having ACL Reconstruction surgery is a pretty stressful experience, but I was glad to have Dr. Mandelbaum's team with me throughout this whole process. The clinical staff has been nothing short of great (the financial counselors are, however, very difficult to get a hold of). Overall, my impression is that they are responsive, efficient and caring.

January 2nd, 2017
Arthroscope of meniscus and arthritic impingements
Dr. Mandelbaum is a very experienced and skilled surgeon. My knee had been bothering me for years with a history of multiple surgeries and injuries no other knee specialists were optimistic about getting me back on track. Dr. Mandelbaum has seen it all and helped me make a very pragmatic decision for the right surgery that fit my goals and lifestyle. I would highly recommend Dr. Mandelbaum and will only see him for future oprthopeidic treatment.

December 22nd, 2016
ACL RECONSTRUTION SURGERY
It's been 18 days since my procedure and my recovery seems to be right on track. Just make sure you listen to the doctors. Dr. Bert Mandelbaum and his team have great bed side manner, even the surgery center was great! I would recommend this Dr. to friends and family, and I would use him again!

November 30th, 2016
Best knee surgeon I've ever seen (and unfortunately I've seen a few). I had a meniscus repair done on both knees with Dr. Mandelbaum, and didn't need painkillers afterward for either. I was back on my feet (and on a bike) the day after each surgery. Highly recommended.

November 4th, 2016
Useless and uncaring doctor
I was referred to Dr. Mandelbaum by another doctor. Dr. Mandelbaum is in California and I live in Ohio, so I wanted to see if he would be willing to see me and possibly treat me surgically before I took the time and money to fly out to see him. I have a very unusual problem with a 5 year history, so I wrote Dr. Mandelbaum a 4 page letter going through my past and asking if he would see willing to see me with the possibility of treating me surgically. Dr. Mandelbaum's assistant told me that Dr. Mandelbaum read my letter and was very interested in my case. However, he wanted two additional tests done first. Therefore, I completed both of those tests and faxed him the results. However, when I flew to California to see him for my appointment, it was very clear that Dr. Mandelbaum had not read my letter or looked at any of the numerous medical documents I had faxed him at his office's request. Dr. Mandelbaum quickly indicated that he would not treat me surgically or help me in any way without even considering it. He was just like every other doctor I had seen in the past which didn't listen to me. He got details regarding my surgical past confused and mixed up previous surgeries I had (which he could have never done if he actually took the time to read my letter). All in all, I ended up spending over 1000 dollars on this trip for nothing but incompetence and a depressing experience.

November 4th, 2016
Complete moron
Dr. Mandelbaum is one of the stupidest doctors I've ever seen in my life. He doesn't care about his patients and thinks he is God. He misdiagnosed me and then laughed at me for my condition. He is unable to think outside of the box and is only able to do standard procedures.

October 24th, 2016
Excellent care
Santa Monica Orthopedic Group and Dr. Mandelbaum are very buttoned down and well-run. I had knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus and I would recommend them highly for this procedure.

October 24th, 2016
Painless Surgery
The office was very responsive and supportive at every step of the process. I am not one to go to doctors, so I was reluctant to do surgery. After meeting Dr. Mandelbaum and learning of his reputation, I felt I was in good hands. I never felt any pressure to have surgery. After all the tests, I realized that I was not going to solve my pain without it. Every aspect of care was superior, from staff to the office atmosphere. Wait time was minimal, and I always felt I could get help by phone or email. The operation was a breeze with no pain. The after-care has been very thorough and attentive. I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Mandelbaum, and I am grateful for his help.

October 12th, 2016
I gave Dr. Mandelbaum 5 stars for his treatment of my condition (including two surgeries) from 10-15 years ago and 0 stars in connection with seeing him in the recent past. Years ago he was engaged and energetic about solving my issues but in the recent appointment he gave the impression that I bored him. He was emphatic about having no memory of me and that any "bond" I felt was one-sided. While my second condition was not really related to the problems he'd treated, he said several times that "my condition" wasn't "caused" by the surgeries he'd performed on me - I agreed with him the first time! I would hate living in fear of malpractice claims that doctors must endure, so I would've given him a pass on that if the rest of the visit hadn't gone so poorly. I did not/do not think he mismanaged me in the early 2000s; the surgeries were not successful in a meaningful way long-term way but they were the gold standard at the time - not his fault that they fell out of favor due to lousy results. I made clear I returned to him because my experience had been favorable and because I thought he'd been an excellent surgeon. If I had to guess about the shift in him I would say that perhaps his "celebrity" had gone to his head and he had lost interest in treating normal conditions of normal people. I didn't expect miracles after describing my recent issues but the "diagnosis" was the equivalent of having him shrug and say maybe it will go away. The only other possibility that comes to mind is that the first time around I'd gone to him because I needed surgery - I knew that going in - and the second time I had unidentified issues and hoped he'd figure it out. In other words, perhaps he is only interested in performing surgeries - and the second problem didn't have a clear surgical solution. But as the patient, I went in with a problem and left not having learned a thing. He didn't ask questions that might elicit information to aid in the diagnosis and he certainly made no recommendations and offered no insight. A subsequent doctor did make a diagnosis and did recommend treatment options - as I write this I am coming around again and again to the conclusion that Dr. Mandelbaum has no interest in conditions - or patient needs - that don't allow him to start cutting soon.