Dr. Bertram Zarins Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Bertram Zarins?

August 28th, 2017

violent

viciously attacked me in his office. should be in jail

March 1st, 2016

Great experience

I had a great experience with Dr zarins. He is extremely knowledgeable and shares his knowledge with you. He teaches you and shows you what is going on with your injury and how he can help it. After my scope on my follow up visit he went over the photos of the scope and all he did. I've had other orthopedists that I liked but he is a level above.

March 8th, 2015

Best Sports Med doctor out there

After having multiple knee surgeries from an other surgeon, and having them fail he quickly picked up what was wrong, and even agreed that I may have underlying connective tissue disorder. Not only do my knees work with no pain, but I got a critical diagnosis that changed my life. When he was unable to fix my shoulder issues he refereed me to an other doctor who did. (Dr. Holovacs) He is very blunt and to the point with his work, but I love that about him. He doesn't try to sugar coat it. His office is super cool as well - it's got all sorts of New England Sports stuff all over the place. I won't go to anyone else but him for knee issues. Also, you don't wait forever (for the most part) for appointments and scheduling surgery. And his booker, Joyce is super nice. He really does go out of his way for patients. After having some concerning issues post surgery he called me from his cell phone and made sure I was okay, he even called me wish me a happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

February 20th, 2015

Incompetent doctor

Uninterested in answering any of my questions. After procedure there is more pain and needed to go elsewhere to fix problem. Was dishonest about initial diagnosis according to other doctors analysis and MRI's. Probably will provide good care if it is a job he prefer$. Otherwise, Dr Zarins will not provide honest care from what others have told me. Also has a temper problem.

February 14th, 2015

Best of Boston

Dr Zarins just completed a quad tendon repair. He took me in for surgery less than 15 hours after diagnosis. Without question one of the finest surgeons in Boston. His level of expertise is without equal. Dr Zarins teaches other surgeons how to do surgery. From initial exam to post op appoints you see him personally. Best of the best. Thanks Dr Z.

December 24th, 2013

Not nice or helpful

Stay away from this guy. He hurt me bad and has no patience. He doesn't even want to deal with people

December 23rd, 2013

Dr. Zarins is knowledgeable and very experienced .

Dr. Zarins having practiced for many years is very knowledgeable and very experienced. He is personable and approachable. I would recommend him if you are in need of an orthopedic surgeon.

April 10th, 2013

horrible

March 20th, 2013

rowing, patella femoral and osteoarthritis

I was diagnosed with patella femoral syndrome and osteoarthritis, and the resident who first interviewed us was optimistic and provided good advice- physical therapy, etc. Dr. Zarins walked in and gave me the advice "you shouldn't row anymore, and when you become pregnant, you will have trouble walking up the stairs because of your knees." I"m 19. Not even thinking about pregnancy, and looking forward to a successful college rowing career. Thank goodness I didn't listen to him and sought different advice. I am rowing, thanks to a new doc.

March 2nd, 2012

Wrong diagnosis and surgery due to NEVER ordering an MRI or Xray

I had a ski accident and went to ER. I scheduled a visit with Dr. Zarins (69 years old) 4 days later about my shoulder. He diagnosed a Type 2 separation and refused my requests for physical therapy (PT) even though I'm an athlete and said it would "heal itself". He never did an Xray or MRI. Months later, he told me the AC joint "healed too tightly" (probably because of no PT) and I would need DCR (removal of part of the collarbone) surgery to stop pain and catching. I consented to arthroscopic surgery only. He failed to show up for the pre-op appointment a few weeks later. He did surgery seven months after the accident without EVER DOING AN XRAY OR MRI. After the surgery, where he cut off a piece of my clavicle (collarbone), I completely lost use of my right arm. The pain meds didn't work and 2 days later, my hand was numb even though a block wasn't used. I called Dr. Zarins, who said "I didn't operate on your HAND" and "Take a couple of Advil." The next day, I took off the bandages to discover that he had done OPEN, not arthroscopic surgery, even though there were "no complications." Instead of a 1" incision for OPEN surgery (which his online leaflet says), I had a 3" incision and ANOTHER 1" incision next to it, like a railroad track. I asked Dr. Zarins when he took out the stitches later that week WHY he did open and not arthroscopic, as we agreed. He said, "Because it was faster." (Total surgery time was 18 minutes!). I repeated what he said, and he replied, "oh, I meant that it heals faster." I replied that I thought that arthroscopic healed faster, and he said, "Whaddaya worried about the scar! It's only an inch!" He again refused to give me a script for physical therapy. After I insisted, he gave me one for FOUR visits (the norm for this surgery is 18).Although the clavicle degeneration was "mild" at the time of the accident according to the ER, because I did not have physical therapy, the bone in my AC joint was destroyed, and the degeneration was "severe" at the time of surgery, according to the pathology report. What is most horrifying is that, although I visited Dr. Zarins office 3 times, he failed to diagnose a torn rotator cuff, damaged labrum, Hill-Sachs fracture (in the humeral ball), severe tendinosis, and dislocation, which I discovered when the first MRI was done by another doctor. Dr. Zarins did the WRONG SURGERY on the wrong part of my shoulder. Dr. Zarins' misdiagnoses and clumsy surgery on my AC joint, which would have been totally unnecessary had he followed a normal standard of care and might not have been necessary anyway since it wasn't the cause of the pain or catching, have left me with constant shoulder dislocations from minor things like lifting the vacuum cleaner or putting down my brief case, permanent hideous scars, deformity due to the massive scar tissue underneath, neck seizures, debilitating ongoing pain, tendinosis which can NEVER be undone. The rotator cuff, which was not repaired in time, has turned to fatty tissue meaning that further surgery is unlikely to be successful. The pain and catching are ten times worse than before the surgery, because it was the other injuries, not the clavicle, which was catching and causing the pain. I am in horrible pain, and for 6 months, couldn't even be gently touched. My life has been ruined. I may never be able to successful compete in the sports I once loved. I have undergone 2 procedures at another hospital, still in physical therapy after 8 months, and am now awaiting another surgery. All because of the unnecessary surgery, poorly done. I will never have normal use of my arm because of a rude, uncaring, incompetent doctor who couldn't be bothered to take an MRI or Xray, take 10 more minutes to do an arthroscopic procedure, examine me properly, or show up for a pre-op appointment. I have been left with a mountain of medical bills, and lost substantial income because I am self-employed.

January 21st, 2011

UNCARING DOCTOR

I saw Dr. Zarins after a poor recovery from a repair of a torn meniscus. I was in pain, limping and unable to walk for any length of time. After taking an xray, Dr. Zarins informed me that I will need a total knee replacement but I still had quite a bit wear left on my knee. At that he pretty much dismissed me. I told him about the pain. His reply, "take pain relievers". Asked about physical therapy or cortisone shots and he replied negatively. His attitude and care was horrible. I saw another doctor and he understood that I could not live my life like this. He worked with me through PT, cortisone and an eventual arthroscopy, where is was discovered that the meniscus was not repaired the first time. After three years I am finally about to walk without pain. I would NEVER recommend Dr Zarins to anyone.

October 5th, 2010

Thanks Doc

Dr. Zarins repaired the torn labrum I got from throwing too many curve balls in little league. He did a great job!