INCOMPETENT... go to a better hospital show details INCOMPETENT... go to a better hospital
Jan 29th, 2016

The above critique of Dr Kamal "Very caring, helpful and knowledgeable" is a bunch of fluff. Who knows, maybe it was written by a friend of his. Either that, or that persons condition was truly minor, but misdiagnosed by Kamal as a more serious one. Then when the amazing body healed itself, they believed Dr Kamal pulled a rabbit out of a hat. Here's an alternative experience. My husband was under his care in the hospital for what the ER doc said was pneumonia, per chest CT scan. Close..... Upon admission however, Dr Kamal took over his inpatient care. He seemed like a nice guy, but nice doesn't equate to being a good doctor. My husband is a cancer patient who was in remission until a scan in August 2015 revealed a small metastasis. At that time he began treatment with a 'BRAND NEW DRUG' known as a monoclonal antibody. This drug can have very dire complications, one of which is pneumonitis (inflammation of lung tissue) caused by an immune response from the drug. quote from Mayo Clinic "Factors that can cause pneumonitis include exposure to airborne irritants at your job or from your hobbies. In addition, some types of cancer treatments and dozens of drugs can cause pneumonitis." When you go to any Dr for treatment, they always need to know what if any medications you are on, so they tell you to bring your prescription bottles with you, which I did. I gave them to the ER nurse, and I told the ER doctor that he was on this new intravenous Immunotherapy drug also and asked her if she wanted the name of it. She said no. I assumed because she was certain he just had pneumonia. He was admitted for IV antibiotic treatment and was then under the care of Dr Kamal. Dr Kamal apparently looked at his CT scan and made his own diagnosis, that the area of the lung that showed great density was not pneumonia, that instead, it was cancer progression. I tried to argue that wasn't possible because he was perfectly fine until a few days prior, and had no symptoms of cancer and no pain. I suggested it may instead be a complication of the new immunotherapy drug he was receiving. He gave me that arrogant look that doctors get that says, "you're an idiot, I'm the one with a degree" and shook his head. I said, "don't you even want to know the name of the drug he is being given?" He said "NO". That's it, flat out, NO! Now you judge for yourselves. What kind of doctor doesn't want to know all the drugs a patient is on so that they can determine if they are dealing with a drug complication? I'll tell you what kind, an ARROGANT, OMNISCIENT one! (Full Definition of omniscient. 1 : having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight. 2 : possessed of universal or complete knowledge.) He believed that he knew better than the radiologist who read the scan and the ER doctor who also looked at it and said it was pneumonia, which itself is pneumonitis but for a different reason. I also suggested he call my husbands oncologist to confer with him about his situation to at least rule out the possibility of a treatment related issue, rather than cancer progression. He said, "NO" again. He didn't want to hear anyone else's opinion of my husbands condition. So he did nothing for him but continue the IV antibiotics, when he should have been giving him steroids to reduce the inflammation in his lung, which is what the treatment is for this condition. Then to add insult to injury, he called in the Palliative Care team to tell us that my husband is dying and would not make it through the night! That's another whole issue with that quack doctor, who was summoned by Kamal, and just went along with his diagnosis and prognosis. Dr Kamal and his minions stood around the room while this doctor told us that very rudely, and coerced my husband into signing a DO NOT RESUSCITATE order. I later got that reversed and made him a "FULL CODE". Days went by and he didn't die, so then Kamal summoned one of their own pulmonologists and oncologists to come and speak to me about his condition. They too were arrogant, omniscient and rude. They all stood by his diagnosis that it was cancer progression and nothing else, and that I needed to accept that. I argued with them as well and that oncologist signed himself off the case. GOOD RIDDANCE. Then Dr Kamal's rotation ended and a different hospitalist was assigned to him. She at least listened very thoroughly to everything and all of our concerns. She said she would contact his own oncologist about his condition. It took a couple of days before she came around and told us she had "finally gotten a hold of him". This, I was to find out later was not the case, that she had in fact spoke to him and he told her to begin high dose steroids immediately. His oncologist later told me he had to argue with her for 2 days to get her to give him the steroids. SERIOUSLY? His oncologist wanted to have him transferred out of here right then and brought to Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, but no beds were available there. It took 5 days (16 days after admission) before he was transferred out of this God forsaken local medical establishment. To make a long story as short as possible, he went from bad to worse under Dr Kamal's and the other doctors care, to the point of being transferred into ICU. After they finally started giving him steroids per HIS OWN DOCTOR'S orders, he slowly began to recover. Dr Kamal had returned on rotation during his lengthy admission. On the morning of the transfer to CTCA, my husband was awake, alert, showered, fully clothed and sitting in a recliner eating a large breakfast, while watching TV and talking. Dr Kamal was stunned when he came in and saw him. He began saying, "It's like a mirac..." but stopped himself before saying miraculous recovery. He was transferred to Zion and came back home 2 days after that. All he needed was the steroids his own doctor insisted they give him. Dr Kamal's misdiagnosis and arrogance, as well as that of the other doctors there, delayed that treatment, allowing him to go from bad to not only worse, but almost dead!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! How can every Doctor in the Rockford area be so hideously incompetent, and in-compassionate toward the families of patients? Going to go to Madison, Chicago or suburban Chicago for real doctors from here on out.

Excellent show details Excellent
by S. Redman on Jul 1st, 2015

My mom has been his patient in the hospital several times. He is very dedicated. He checked on her Christmas day when he wasn't even scheduled to see her. He always kept me up to date and involved in treatment plans for her. For many years I have been personal friends with a couple of his coworkers who daily work with him and have had nothing but positive things to say about him.

awesome hospitalist show details awesome hospitalist
Oct 19th, 2012

i think he is also the director of the program at st anthony osf medical center

Very caring, helpful and knowledgeable show details Very caring, helpful and knowledgeable
Oct 8th, 2011

My treatment and recovery were long but turned out to be a success. Dr. Kamal's commitment and diligence to his patients is priceless. I wouldn't have asked for anyone else...in hindsight, of course. Don't ever realize that you are beyond repair...or in a situation that involves luck! Arrogance, It's a perception that many have about doctors because there is not enough time to fraternize, unfortunatley. Do you think it's fair to rate doctors on questionairres filled out by patients that things didn't work out the way they wanted them to? Very fortunately for me, Dr. Kamal was diligent in taking my history/symptoms and checked up on me and based on that, my care was well orchestrated with the other physicians for my best outcome of care. Throughout what had been a bit of an ordeal for me, Dr. Kamal has shown empathy and understanding. He's never rushed me and he always kept it real. I've liked him from day one and I have utmost confidence in him. I'm grateful that Dr. Kamal is a person who is very good at his extremely complicated job. I was grateful that when my file was on his desk - I was getting the full benefit of his knowledge and experience, but most of all, I am grateful that he was able to achieve that delicate balance of knowing what to do in those critical times when things got pretty bad and we were runing out of options and I was scared. His confidence allowed me to feel hope when I was running out of it. He's a good doc! I have nothing but sincere appreciation for Dr. Kamal and his incredible medical skills. I admire him very much and thank him for his care and helpfulness as well as his staff at a time that I so desperately needed it. If you are lucky enough to be Dr. Kamal's patient, thank your lucky stars. I do, every day.

hospitalist show details hospitalist
Oct 22nd, 2010

great physicain , nominated for physician of the year every year cince 2006

Apr 12th, 2010

Really proactive and great bedside manner. Kept family informed.

Liar show details Liar
Mar 4th, 2009

Loves his nurses,,,, really loves them!!!