Dr. Robert Nelson Jr Is this you?

2.9

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Robert Nelson Jr?

Lifeline to Diagnosis

Posted on January 1st, 2017

I was worried about comments I had read about Dr. Nelson but after I left his office for the first time I realized I didn't need bedside manner, I had had that plenty before by other Doctors. I needed real answers to my complicated illness. I finally got some answers.

Worst Medical Experience Ever

Posted on January 31st, 2016

I saw Dr. Nelson for 8 years and he never seemed to care about me as a person. He kept calling me Mrs. and I am not married nor ever have been.That was just the beginning. Every apt. he would lecture me about something. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and he was angry because I was using Remicade which really helped.I was also on gamma globulin. I was never sick with the respiratory diseases most patients get. Yet he would berate me at each visit. He never gave me test results and I finally quit him when he hadn't done tests for a year and I had the audacity to ask for them. I have CVID which was diagnosed 10 years before I met him. My other doctor retired. I finally asked why I was driving 2 hours each way and waiting in the office only to be insulted and looked down on. He even accused me of seeing too many doctors! There is obviously something wrong with him. He appears not to enjoy his practice. I hear he is very intelligent but I didn't find him a good teacher, very condescending. He may be good for transplant patients but not for immunodeficiency patients. Don't go here if that is your diagnosis. It is the worst medical encounter with a doctor I have ever had.

Thinks he's god...and plays with your childs life!

Posted on September 4th, 2015

I was at this clinic in Indianapolis for the first 7 years of my childs life, and had a great experience, but when my child's immunologist left, my son was left with Dr.Nelson. I was told by my sons previous immunologist that he would need IVIG for the rest of his life, but in different intervals. Shortly after he started seeing Nelson, he was pulled off IGG therapy and I was told he was "cured", and I had no reason to come back and that I was a hyper parent ( yea because I love driving 4 hours there and back because I'm hyper), He is rude, arrogant, and clearly has little medical knowledge in the field in which he is practicing. After going without therapy for a while the little titers my son did make that were being kept up by IGG therapy are gone and he is now completely absent! I found a REAL IMMUNOLOGIST, who said that the worst thing that could have been done was stopping therapy, which is what his original immunologist said. He is a awful doctor, who gives awful advice and gives awful care! Luckily for me and my son I knew better, and did what I had to do for him before something bad happened. This happened almost 5 years ago, and it still infuriates me to my core everyday. Thanks for nothing Dr. Nelson!

My child is not a lab rat

Posted on February 16th, 2015

We went to see Dr. Nelson because the Dr. treating our 7 yo had retired and we were looking for someone to take over his care. We explained the situation and history very clearly. When we came back, he had decided to completely ignore the history and take our son off of the plasma treatments right before school was starting. The biggest problem is that a year ago we had tried that and our son got deathly ill primarily due to the exposure with other school kids. He had to miss a significant amount of school days. He completely discregarded that and asked us to sign a form agreeing to let him test our son's blood every time we came in. He was very arrogant and disrespectful. We found a different doctor who was night and day! Our son is back on treatments and we will be stopping the treatments at the end of the school year to check and see if he is producing the necessary gamma globulins. So if you don't want your child to be treated like a lab rat, run away!!

Thank goodness we got away.

Posted on December 27th, 2014

This is an update on an earlier post I left. We got a new specialist for a rare bone marrow disease, and thank goodness we did. Things are better, we have learned new facts about symptoms and management, and we are receiving professional attention from a personable, intelligent, considerate, respectful, knowledgeable doctor with virtually the same credentials and experience and exceptionally improved demeanor. The upshot: don't take haughty, nasty, impatient, abrupt, intimidating and dull-witted communication when you can look around. Someone better is possibly right around the corner. It would be next to impossible to fail if you look.

August 27, 2013

Posted on September 3rd, 2013

If you are considering meeting with or scheduling an apt. with Mr. Robert Nelson you need to reconsider. I usually consider myself a cup half full type of person, but after meeting with him I had such a sour bitter taste in my mouth. I refer to him as “Mr.” because I refuse to call him a doctor. He is the most demeaning, arrogant, condescending and disrespectful person I have ever came into contact with. He was so disrespectful. He definitently did NOT Foster Human Dignity and Preserve my rights as a Patient, as is IU Health’s mantra. Our first visit with Robert Nelson was so quick there was no time to interact with him. He mainly told us he needed to get blood work prior to talking to us about a plan. That sounded great to my husband and me. Our next appointment was so disappointing. I think that my case is truly so complex he just did not know what to suggest so he tried diverting the problem and pointing the blame at all the other doctors that are treating me. If this had been my first experience with IU Health I would never ever consider stepping foot on their premises again. I have to admit I did leave his office so upset that it actually flared my other health problems. Someone that seeks a specialist wants to be helped and cared for. When we did get home I was so quiet that I think it did shake my husband a bit. He at that point went online and printed out for me some other patients and their experience and showed them to me. It’s not that I want anyone else to have a “bad” experience, but it did make me feel a bit better knowing that I am NOT the only patient he has treated in this manner. I wasn’t going to write about my experience. I just wanted to forget it and never think about it again, but it was so upsetting. I’m sure there probably are so many that do just forget it and never visit IU again, but that is not helping future patients. If you are reading this and know of anyone else that has had a bad visit with him please encourage them to write it down to help others. Also they should let the individuals at IU Health be aware of the incident so they can determine if they really want him representing IU Health!

patient

Posted on August 1st, 2013

Overall impression, after seeing him about once per year for 4 years, is that he is a smart doctor and a jerk. He is a terrible communicator, annoyed at being bothered by patient questions and concerns (even though the condition is potentially life-threatening, a daily struggle, and extremely rare), abrupt, snobby, unclear with information that pertains to the condition, and obnoxious. He is an unpleasant person. He did prescribe some meds that helped. But we are running away from him as fast as possible after the last visit during which he missed a very serious problem (which was later caught by a different doctor; emergency surgery followed). He has no manners at all on the phone and in person he seems to barely tolerate visiting with the patient. So smart but so stupid at the same time. We drove three hours to see him. Waste of time.

loved him!

Posted on April 30th, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I must admit I was pretty nervous, but he was awesome! He played basketball with my son :) very nice dr!!

Worst Experience

Posted on November 29th, 2012

We have seen many doctors for my son over the past 6 years and this was definitely the worst experience. Appointment was at 9:30a and didn't see the doctor until after 11a. He was disrepectful of our time, feelings and experiences, condesending, didn't listen to my questions. I was told 'no' three times that I tried to give the nurses and nurse practioner the medicial history I had typed up for my son. Each one said 'show it to the next' person and the last person said she already had the letter from his doctor. It didn't even include a major surgery he had 3 months ago. I left the appointment in tears and I'm not easy to cry, because I felt so disrespected and felt like it was a waste of my time when trying to get real answers for my son.

Posted on November 27th, 2012

Dr. Nelson has bedside manner issues to say the very least. He seemed completely uninterested in me and my case-maybe this is just his aloof personality. However, when he was unable to diagnose the problem, he became extremely condescending and basically accused me of being a hypochondriac. This threw me for a loop considering I have ample documentation to the contrary, and in no way present like someone with mental issues. The last thing an ill person needs is to be disrespected when they go in for help. His demeanor changed completely when I brought my spouse in with me to the next visit. All of a sudden he was polite, asked questions, and appeared eager to help. That was my last visit....Also at the end of the few visits when I saw him, he just left the room without saying a word, and you're left wondering if he's coming back, or the appointment's over, or should you check out...What's that about?

Lifesaver!! :)

Posted on November 12th, 2011

Very knowledgeable, well trained doctor. Saved my sisters life!

Excellent

Posted on June 29th, 2011

Dr. Nelson is excellent from my perspective on all accounts. He is my stem cell transplant physician. I had AML and his knowledge has saved my life! I am not being dramatic. He ALWAYS has my best interest at heart. He has hundreds of patients who are as sick if not sicker than me and he prioritizes his time according to the needs of his patients. He has support staff that is always available. I mean always. He has accurately identified any graft vs host issues. He works constantly and has phoned me directly on his off time including vacation. He constantly is educating himself. He is very well know among his colleagues of being an excellent instructor . He is considerate and has a unique sense of humor with patients who do not always have a good outcome. The idea of complaining about a 55 minute office wait when he has in my case ALWAYS been appropriately at my call; both as an inpatient and an outpatient. Indiana has the best medical center in the nation. I on all counts disagree and feel it not warranted about the office wait. Should you have a transplant issue, I strongly recommend this physician, no matter what wait you have. If you need immediate attention, he will be there for you!