Dr. Boris Catz Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Boris Catz?

June 10th, 2012

Helped a lot!

I went to Dr. Katz for my hypothyroidism- and at first I didn't feel much better. But when I went back for a second appointment, I realized that I hadn't followed his instructions fully(he'd told me what to take with my thyroid meds and I didn't do it) So I did that - and by the next visit I felt great. He really knows his stuff.

June 1st, 2012

Best of the Best Endocrinologist

Dr. Boris Catz directed me to the correct treatment and meds. He continues to do research and I'm just blessed that he is my Doctor. There aren't many Doctors out there that love what they do. Dr. Boris Catz lives and breathes the world of medicine.

February 29th, 2012

Dr. Boris Catz is a legend in his field of expertise.

He is the ONLY friend you'll ever have and will get you on the right track of Papillary Carcinoma Total Thyroidectomy. No other Doctor will spend as much time with you as Dr. Catz does with each of his friends. I wish there were more dedicated Doctors out there. If only Dr. Catz would move to the Valley. I do not like driving on the freeway but only to see Dr. Catz.

June 24th, 2011

Three other patients convinced me

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and was gaining weight even with dieting. I was depressed, had incurable Psoriasis and felt really awful. A friend kept insisting that I see Dr. Catz and I finally did. Now, his office is not modern and he cannot get out of his chair, his legs are in braces. Where he sees patients is, well...kind of a pile of this and that...mostly gifts from patients...But...After blood work that showed everything to be fine...he then showed me my tyroid immune count, which was through the roof. And then he started asking me questions about myself that nobody else would know. Like my eyesight issues as a child, and the gall bladder history of every woman in my family, and other amazing things. So, he did his exam and with everything declared I had Hashimotos. So he put me on the smallest dose of T3 and when I came back two weeks later...WOW. What a difference I felt. So then we raised my dose just a quarter of a half of a microgram and he ordered a blood test to make certain my T3 was not going too high. So he is very concerned about the meds he gives and what they are doing and he makes certain blood work is regularly done. I have had several other doctors say his approach is wrong, but they are also not thyroid specialists. I will have a bone scan to make certain that is good and regular blood work. I have to say that my life has definately changed for the better after seeing Dr. Catz.

May 15th, 2011

Amazing doctor

After years of doctors telling me I was fine and that I was lazy I finally got the answers I needed ( something no local doctor was able to give me ). He changed my life. While my blood work comes out normal my thyroid is enlarged and is covered with cysts and scarring. No doctor had ever checked my thyroid itself. Dr. Catz looks at the symptoms not just the blood work. He can seem kinda harsh sometime but he just doesn't want to waste his time trying to help people who don't want to help themselves (don't take their meds or won't adjust their diet). He really is an incredible doctor.

March 15th, 2011

Changed My Life

I have a huge family history of thyroid problems. Every female on my mom's side has thyroid problems. Every female in my family does not test for thyroid problems by looking at just TSH. Sadly most doctors will only follow TSH. Even when my own doctor saw I had a drastic weight gain, hair loss, depression, fatigue and extremely dry skin, and have a strong family history, he was afraid to treat me because my TSH tested okay. I decided to drive to another state and visit with Dr. Catz. Yes there was a wait, but that is fine with me, because Dr. Catz takes his time with you. He answers your questions. He tests you for more than just TSH. I had a full blood work up as well as an ultrasound. There was a nodule on my thyroid. After the blood work and consult, I was put on medication as well as vitamins. I no longer feel fatigued, my hair isn't coming out in clumps, and I feel like I am living again. My neck was measured at my appointment and ever time I go back and since seeing Dr. Catz it has gone down 3/4 of an inch. Dr. Catz did for me what no other doctor would. He listened and he treated me with positive results. He is a life saver for me.

March 2nd, 2011

solved problems others unable to solve with fewer drugs After seeing him and balancing my thyroid could drop seeing numberous other specialists as those problems resolved themselves

November 1st, 2009

After feeling fatigued for several weeks, someone suggested that I see an endocrinologist to check my thyroid, even though my GP said my blood levels were normal. I checked this site and chose a doctor, but the next appt she had was in 3 months. Since I was feeling rotten, I decided to try another, and made an appointment for the following week with Dr. Boris Catz because of the good reviews on this site. The tip off should have been that he had an opening in one week. Dr Catz was a renowned thyroid specialist. He is now 86 years old. He does not get out of his chair. His office is filthy (can someone dust this place?) and cluttered with chatckies and mementos. His staff use electric typewriters and index cards and there are papers everywhere. I had my blood work done and thyroid ultrasound done before the appointment. My blood results were normal, Dr Catz said, but I had nodules on my thyroid. Dr Catz also insisted that I had low blood pressure (120/70). This has been my blood pressure every time I go to the doctor and it's normal. He told me to hold my breath while he pumped the blood pressure cuff again and then declared: "See, you have low blood pressure. Don't run anywhere quickly or you will faint." Since I'd never had that problem before, I was confused by this. Then he called his assistant on the intercom to get me some old, badly Xeroxed articles. He then gave me sample-sized boxes of Synthroid 100mcg and said that this is what he would "start me out on" for my hypothyroidism. When I came back for my follow up 2 weeks later, he had me measure my own neck with the tape measure since he couldn't get out of his chair. He asked how I was feeling, and at that point, my energy was way up, just like some of the other reviews have stated here. Little did I know that "starting" someone on 100 mcg Synthroid when one's blood work is normal whips you into a HYPERthyroid state. I did not go back to Dr Catz, but continued meds and waited for the appointment I'd made with the other endocriniolgist. (BTW, no one from his office ever bothered to follow up with me.) My new doctor's jaw dropped when I said Catz has "started" me on 100mcgs. I told her I had so much energy that I had trouble sleeping too. She noticed that my body was very warm despite it being a cool day. Lo and behold, my new blood work was very hyperthyroid now. In order to lower the dose, it has to be done very gradually, so that my hair doesn't start falling out and skin doesn't dry out. Alas, this is what is happening to me. All because Dr Catz should have retired many years ago and left the profession to doctors who are aware of the differences in what kind of nodules the patient has, and how they are treated, instead of a one size fits all approach. My new doctor did an ultrasound and biopsy on my nodules. Non-cancerous and unchanged. I am posting this for others who may be in the same situation:Levothyroxine (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid) is a drug that suppress the production of the thyroid hormone T4. A doctor may prescribe levothyroxine to treat non-cancerous nodules only in special cases, including:-A growing nodule-A nodule causing pressure on other structures in the neck-Many nodules growing in the thyroid glandLevothyroxine does not seem to benefit most people with thyroid nodules. It also can cause serious complications, including heart problems and loss of bone density.Careful follow-up is the only recommended treatment for benign nodules that do not cause symptoms and are not growing. A thyroid biopsy may need to be repeated 6-12 months after diagnosis. An ultrasound may be repeated as well.

July 20th, 2008

Dr. Catz, the miracle worker

Patients come from all over the world to be treated by Dr. Boris Catz. Be prepared to wait and wait; but the wait is worth it. I have been his patient for several years now.

July 8th, 2016