Boyd C Marts III MD Patient Reviews

• 1 patient rating
  • 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

June 23rd, 2010
Dr Marts performed surgery on my 71 year old uncle at Community South Hospital about a week ago. My issue with Dr. Marts is that before the surgery the nurses all told us that the surgeon would be in to talk to us before my uncle went down for the operation. Which according to the hospital administrators is standard procedure. My 72 year old aunt and my cousin were in the room when the nurse went to bring in the Dr for questions. That is when Dr. Marts stormed into the room and belittled and yelled at my aunt for interrupting him during his busy day of several surgeries. He told her that she did not have the right to ask questions before the surgery and if she did have questions she should have called his office. He then told her that her husband was not the only patient he had that day and that she should apologize for taking him away from what he was doing to answer these questions. He did all of this mind you in front of the entire nursing staff and other patients. He then went on to tell her that even a man in good health, which my uncle is not, has a slim chance of surviving the surgery. All of this was said in front of my uncle who had not yet had any medications or anastethic. At this time we were stunned not knowing whether we should let him perform the surgery or not. As we talked to his supervisor and also the president of the hospital we were informed that this is an ongoing issue with Dr Marts. After the surgery he came in the waiting room and some of the family asked him to apologize to my aunt for the way he treated her. He then informed us that we should have known better than to interrupt him and that all of the nurses that told us he would talk to us were misinformed. He then told us that he did not treat my aunt badly. We informed him that several nurses heard the conversation and he told us it was the same nurses that gave us bad information about the surgeon talking to the patients family before surgery so their opinion didn't matter. He then refused to apologize. In my opinion an apology is not necessary. I think more importantly people need to be aware of Dr. Marts anger management issues or whatever his problems are. My uncle made it through the surgery and for that I am thankful. I do however wonder if a nurse were to drop something in surgery or someone were to trigger one of these reactions from the Dr then who would suffer from his tirade? Would it be the patient on the table? I feel like it is my duty to tell people what they are getting into when they deal with this surgeon. The hospital administrators assured us that he would be put through peer counseling and that working at Community South was a privelege not a right. I would be concerned by this behavior from any adult but I am more concerned by it seeing as how he is a man who regularly holds someone else's life in his hands. You be the judge. I am not sure what else we can do at this point but I am sure that it is every patients right to know about Dr. Marts' behavior.