Dr. Brent Miedema MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0
  • 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

July 25th, 2011
Negligent and dismissive
Dr. Miedema is a well-regarded physician by his staff at University Hospital in Columbia, MO; however, esteem does not negate the unacceptable level of clinical judgement exercised during my surgery a couple of years ago. Dr. Miedema failed to correct a forming inguinal hernia on the opposite side of the initial indication--despite having full authorization to do so, should such a measure be required. His "tuck and go" treatment during my hernia operation and subsequent casual dismissal of my inquiries about the other side as impossible due to unspecified "scar tissue" (I was a healthy twentysomething with no history of prior surgery except a similar operation when I was barely a toddler. My queries about the origin of scar tissue despite a manifold developmental increase in both size and mass of my tissues and organs were met with blank looks). The financial difficulty--for which I had no briefing (despite inquiries with the staff)--associated with the procedure pails in comparison with the constant soreness and fear I live with every day of the other side becoming "strangled" and resulting in gut ischemia. Unfortunately, I have no insurance now to correct the mistake of Dr. Miedema.