Dr. Brett Gilbert MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

November 13th, 2016
Excellent choice for joint replacement surgery
Dr. Gilbert and his team changed my life! From the first visit, I knew he was confident, competent, pays attention to detail, and was caring about my problem and offering a solution.

October 31st, 2016
Total Knee Replacement
Exactly 9 weeks after my surgery I went on a 5 day backpacking trip and two weeks later participated in another 5 day trip. Kudos to Dr. Gilbert and his support team. After a year and a half, my knee seems to continually get better.

August 24th, 2016
great doctor
wonderful doctor takes time with patient

August 23rd, 2016
Dr. Gilbert is a caring surgeon who clearly wants you to have a good experience. He uses less invasive techniques that help you to heal more quickly. Dr. Gilbert is willing to take time with you and answer your questions. he explains things so that you do not have surprises. He is encouraging and clearly wants you to heal in the best way possible. He uses NC Specialty Hospital and they are the best there is. Every person from check-in to taking you to the car to leave wants you to have a good experience. They are careful that you understand what needs to be done and what the meds are doing. They really work to see that your pain level is tolerable. The physical therapists at Triangle Ortho make sure you know what to do and work hard to see that you can continue the exercises at home. Clair is very good to see that your "daily living" questions are dealt with. I highly recommend Dr. Gilbert.

August 19th, 2016
Exceptional treatment from start to finish
I am 65 and injured my knee exercising. My physician referred me to Dr. Gilbert. MRI confirmed i needed surgery and 2 weeks later i went in for out patient surgery. I used a walker /cane and pain medication for only 3 days. i started PT on the 2nd day and followed for 5 weeks. this was my first surgery ever and I could not have asked for better results.Today i am pain free and moving as i was post injury. I plan to start back exercising in 2 weeks. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Gilbert, his staff, the physical therapists i worked with and the facility in Durham where i had my surgery. It's not everyday you can have a great experience from start to finish but i did and the care and treatment I received was exceptional in all respects. Dr. Gilbert is a a true credit to his profession .

August 2nd, 2016
Like New Again
When faced with the prospect that the pain in my hip might be more than temporary, my primary care doctor referred me to Dr Gilbert. He explained everything from the beginning in simple to understand terms, didn't rush me into any decisions, and told me I would know when the time came to have something done. He performed a complete hip replacement on me. The pain I had before the surgery was completely gone and I left the hospital the next evening. I was off the walker in a week, cane for another two weeks, and finished with therapy in 6 weeks. Now I am going to the local YMCA to finish the strengthening process. Dr Gilbert's staff has been there throughout the process answering questions and getting any paperwork I needed to me the same day. I highly recommend Dr Gilbert if you need anything done concerning your hip.

July 21st, 2016
My experience was a good as a knee replacement could be. Dr. Gilbert's surgical expertise combined with the PT staff at Triangle Orthopedics resulted in a fully functional knee that works as it should. It is difficult to see how one could ask for a better outcome.

June 24th, 2016
I was very hesitant to have this procedure done and asked many questions both Dr. Gilbert and his staff spent the time to discuss the surgery and recovery with me until I felt at ease. Once the surgery was over the healing process for me was not bad at all. I give all the credit to Dr. Gilbert and his team for my speedy recovery. I was up and walking same day and within 1 week walking on my own. Physical Therapy was great and I followed the rules. I am 2 months post surgery, back to work and most of my activities, and the best of all there is no pain and I sleep so good now. I would highly recommend that you don't wait and use Dr. Gilbert!

June 21st, 2016
Total Right Hip Replacement in my 40s
I was born with hip dysplasia. Having grown up always having hip issues, I wasn’t really aware anything was really wrong until my younger sister pointed out that my gait was very odd and that I was taking way too many pain pills and having too many moments of “give me a minute, it just needs to go back into place”. I thought I was too young for a hip replacement. Finally after a grueling experience trying to tour Vanderbilt University in Nashville, I relented and called Triangle Orthopaedic Associates and made an appointment with Dr. Gilbert. Dr. Gilbert correctly identified that I had arthritis in my hip from the hip dysplasia. We decided to first try a round of therapy and a cortisone shot. The shot was amazing! I felt wonderful and therapy went really well. Unfortunately, the shot wore off after just 6 weeks. We tried a second shot and continued physical therapy. No good…the pain was too intense. So, Dr. Gilbert and I decided surgery was the way to go. I had to wait for the second cortisone shot to leave my body (3 months). It was extremely hard to walk. I used a cane for stability and took a prescription anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve the arthritis inflammation. Finally, it was surgery time. I was very nervous. Dr. Gilbert personally called me the night before the surgery. I had requested full anesthesia for the procedure. After talking with Dr. Gilbert and discussing the pros and cons, we went with Twilight and a spinal block. I only remember rolling into the surgery room and waking up thinking about puppy dogs, picket fences, rainbows and sunshine. I felt amazing! I was extremely surprised when I first got out of the bed after surgery to walk to the bathroom. No pain! I continued walking first with a walker, then a cane, then nothing. I did physical therapy for 6 weeks and then returned to work full time. I am now 4 months after surgery and feel like I am 20 again! I have a new lease on life. My scar is almost completely unnoticeable and I can honestly say that my new hip feels so natural. I am working on my endurance, but getting stronger every day. Dr. Gilbert is an amazing surgeon. I would recommend him any day of the week! Thank you Dr. Gilbert for giving me my life back!

June 3rd, 2016
Dr. Gilbert replaced my left knee 6 weeks ago. There must be magic in his fingers -- I had been prepared for serious pain after the procedure and during the initial month of recoup and rehab. Amazingly it never presented. Yes, there has been discomfort, soreness, stiffness, some nerve sparking, but not serious pain. As well my body functions returned without complications. I followed his protocols to the letter. From me, Dr. Gilbert gets a 10! He knows his stuff!

April 28th, 2016
Hip Replacement - Glad I finally did it!
I had a total right hip replacement. I was nervous and concerned about what my activity levelwould be afterwards. My pain level prior to the replacement was a rather high level of constant aching with periods of severe pain. It's been 3 months. The pain is gone and my activity level continues to increase, exceeding my activity level prior to the replacement. Dr. Gilbert and his team eased my concerns, took great care of me and did an excellent job of follow up to make sure that my healing and level of activity continued to improve as quickly as possible. If I needed the other hip replaced, I would not hesitate to have Dr. Gilbert and his staff perform that procedure.

March 19th, 2016
The whole experience was totally professional, I was very well cared for and would highly recommend Dr. Gilbert.