Gastroenterology
Jefferson Park Avenue
1215 Lee St
2nd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22908
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

Apr 13th, 2014

I would not recommend Dr. Behm. I saw him on several occasions and he seem distracted, he was a poor listener, and he did not follow up on my questions regarding test results. I could not have been more disappointed.

|  Excellent physician and a very nice guy  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2012

Dr. Behm is a rare combination of talented doctor and a man filled with genuine empathy for his patients. I saw him over a period of three years for Crohn's/UC. He was very understanding early on that my options were limited by my insurance situation (I didn't have any at the time). I was able to participate in a clinical trial, and therefore benefit diagnostically from the colonoscopies that were part of the trial. We tried all of the "big" drugs, as prednisone was losing its effectiveness. At every step, Dr. Behm was supportive of my opinions and my decision for any drugs or treatment. In the end, it became necessary for me to have a colectomy and opt for the ostomy route --drugs were just not getting me healthy anymore. And even though drugs are Dr. Behm's primary specialty in dealing with IBD, he was again fully behind me for the surgery. Most visits I had with him were brief (this is a teaching hospital, though the resident docs and students I saw were all very good as well). The last few visits I had with him, however, he really went out of his way to take as much time as I needed to go over my options. He even visited me in my hospital room post-op while I was recovering. Without a doubt, over 12 years of having UC, Dr. Behm is the best doctor I've ever had.

Jan 21st, 2012

Dr Behm is very professional and personal to talk with and takes all matters into consideration when dealing with his patients. I highly recommend him to anyone that is suffering from Crohn's disease.

Jun 21st, 2011

I was very disappointed with my first GI doctor and was fortunate enough to get an appointment with Dr. Behm. Since then, I have been there many times for follow up care. His bedside manner, in my opinion, is as good as it gets. He is a very busy guy but he never ever makes me feel rushed during my appointments. He gives more than enough time for me to ask questions. There are times it seems he almost won't let me leave the room until he knows I'm comfortable with the treatment plan. The times he has followed up on tests by phone -- same thing. HE calls... not a nurse.... and takes plenty of time to explain things and answer questions. I can't recommend him more!