Dr. Brian Retherford MD Patient Reviews

August 15th, 2015
less than impressed!

March 13th, 2015
TERRIBLE OB DOCTOR
this provider has been my daughters OB, this is her first baby. this provider has cancelled numerous appts with her, she has gone 2 months without seeing him. never once at any of her appts have they checked her urine (which is an every appt test that should be done to check for proteins, sugar, infection) he is not informative. he is rude, abrupt. told her one time while trying to cancel yet another appt, :well, i just hate for us both to waste a trip in just to listen to the heart beat" asked her if anyone at her work has a doppler that could listen!! my daughter went to her appt the other day, she is 33 weeks pregnant. her legs, ankles and feet are so swollen she can barely walk, she had to "make" them do a urine test on her,(which they questioned her why do you want one). when she told dr retherford about her feet and ankles, his response was, 'yep, welcome to the third trimester" and then she said, yeah, but they hurt bad, he states, "sucks doesnt it" this provider never even looked or felt her feet, ankles or legs. she expressed her concern for placenta previa etc, he said oh no you would be having headaches and high blood pressure, she told him well my b/p today is 133-93. he says, oh, well, that is a little high. never addressed anything. quick doppler on her belly, sent her out the door. never even told her the results of her urine. This provider is unsafe on many levels. and now my daughter is unfortunatley having to try and find a new doc who will hopefully take her in at 33 weeks pregnant as she does not feel safe with dr retherford for her or the baby.

November 15th, 2013
Warning read before you allow this dr to perform surgery
I had a vaginal hysterectomy my dr retherford in grass valley . My primary care dr warned me that he was "knife happy" and he was!! There were several other options but not only did he rush me into a hysterectomy he also said told me about his wife's experience and based on that recommended we just take out my ovaries too, because he wife was calmer without them ?!?!?!? I wanted relief so agreed to surgery . I should have ran! He got me in an outpatient surgery practice that he had a financial stake in and rushed me in and out. He was very demeaning He never even followed up or returned my calls . This should not have been an outpatient surgery, and I shouldn't have had surgery as a first option anyway. I have suffered so much because of him. If you are reading this please get a second or third option . If you get a weird vibe from him listen to it and find a new dr.

March 4th, 2013
Excellent OBGYN
I used Dr. Retherford for my first pregnancy. Being a young mother I was very nervous using a male Doc. I was quickly assured that the staff there would take great care of me throughout my pregnancy all the way to delivery. Dr. Retherford was kind, caring and always made time to answer my questions. I had a few complications late in my pregnancy and was addmited to the maternity unit for a night. It was pretty late when I was admitted but Doc still came in to check on me and returned early the next morning to also check on me again before he went to clinic. Doc Retherford was unable to be there for my daughters birth since I went into labor a week early and he was out of town. However, he made sure that I was taken care of and as soon as he returned he came to my room to welcome my Daughter and congradulated my significant other and I. He then followed up with me upon discharge from the hospital and had his staff take care of making my follow up appointments for me and my baby. I would reccomend this doctor to others in a heartbeat. Also, If I ever decide to have more children Dr. Retherford will be my first choice for care as he and his staff are absolutly wonderful!

November 1st, 2012
One of the best doctors that I have ever had.
I found out that I had abnormal cell in my upper cervix, I had to have a large biopsy done. The surgery went smoothly and Dr. Retherford had the best bed side manner of any doctor I have been to, and that says a lot because I have had 3 children. I felt comfortable and calm going into surgery. He saved my life. The biopsy came back on the border of cancer. Thank you doctor.I must also say that all the previous negative comments seem as though they are from the same person. She keeps saying the same thing in the same unintelligent way. I think that's hateful and crazy.

October 11th, 2012
I went to Dr. Retherford for a 2nd opinion on a surgery that I had already scheduled with another doctor. He gave me a surgical option that the other doctor did not and performed it as we had discussed beforehand. I was given great care at the hospital before and after the surgery, have recovered from it very well, and am now 10 weeks post op. He was very concerned, listened to me and kept me informed. Everything turned out well - I don't think enough people give an opinion when things turn out well, obviously, only when they think they have a problem. I can only speak for my own experience, but I am very satisfied with my surgery and treatment by Dr. Retherford.

February 3rd, 2012
Worst Dr's visit i have ever had.
Rude. Belitteling. Acted superior and talked down to me. Refused to take into consideration alternatives to birth control i was interested in pursuing. Wanted to jump right to surgery.

September 24th, 2011
Very bad surgeon. He cut my uretra during surgery and did not seem to think he should tell me. I had a HUGE bruise down the inside of my right leg. Once again, would not tell me why. I was, condesendingly told,"Why, that is blood under the skin". Well, NO KIDDING! But WHY?? He took my vitality from me for money. He preformed an unnecessary hysterectomy. on healthy organs. For profit.
Doctor's Response

See comment 9/26/11

May 13th, 2010
Stay away
This man ruined my life. He rushed me into a procedure I did not need and once on the table he proceeded to remove my uterus and ovaries even though I ...

May 13th, 2010
Any advice given by Mr. Retherford should be questioned and you should definitely see other doctors. He WILL rush you into surgery if he can. Scare tactics seem to be his main mode of operation. It is very sad that a doctor will stoop to this.

May 6th, 2010
Excellent Surgical skill
Fantastic surgeonSaved my life!

March 27th, 2010
Deliverd all of my babies
Wow, I'm astonished by some of the negative reviews of Dr. Retherford. I never had a problem with him, and he delivered all of my babies. The only criticism I'd have is that he does sometimes seem to be in a hurry and he doesn't spend a lot of time explaining things--it's up to the patient to ask questions, he doesn't really offer any information. His bedside manner is a little abrupt, too, but I don't really have an issue with that. I always thought he seemed like a competant doctor, which is why I kept going back for each delivery.I do wonder about some of these posts, particularly from the woman who said he got her worried about cancer. That story seems fictional. Dr. Retherford isn't an oncologist and I really can't see how or why he would recommend hysterectomy for suspected cancer. Even if he did, why wouldn't you go see an oncologist if you thought you had cancer? Dr. Retherford is an OB/GYN, not an oncologist. Weird story.