Dr. Brian Weinshenker MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.7

September 1st, 2016
Absolutely the worst!
Rude. Sexist. Don't walk, run (or roll in my case) from an appointment with him! If he's listed on your schedule, reschedule or, better yet, go elsewhere. Mayo is highly overrated. University of Iowa is great. Cleveland clinic wonderful. University of Chicago pretty good. You do not want this physician. Especially if you are a woman. I have seen so many physicians. Many are condescending but this man is off the charts. I have never been so rudely treated.

June 13th, 2016
Mr
after receiving a call from Mayo telling us we were accepted for an appointment with their neurology department we were feeling positive about getting some answers that could not be diagnosed at several other hospitals and specialists. We were referred there by several people because we were told they work together with a team of different doctors to discuss and discover what is wrong.. Receptionist that called said we should plan a minimum of 3 day. Normally they like 3 to 7 days and we prepared for that. After traveling for 9 hours the day before and booking a hotel room for a week, we arrived at our appointment the next morning at 7:30 as we were told. We met with Dr. Weinshenker at 8 he asked us to explain what we were there for. We had previously sent most all the records before hand and brought the discs along with us the day of for them to view. After listening to what we had to say and explaining our episodes, he did a very short exam and memory text. Kept focusing on my BMI and that I was overweight. After about an hour he basically said that our previous tests that were run at other locations were very thorough and did not feel that running any of their own would show any different. He had no explanation for us, and when we asked what the next step was and who we were going to see, he said that was it. There were no other appointments and that we should just go home and take it easy for 6 to 9 months and hopefully the episodes would not happen again. Asked if we had any questions, because he had other patients waiting and had to get going. We left there very very disappointed. Thought they would have insisted on running their own tests and if he did not know, would meet with other specialists and give us some options. So within an hour and a half we were done with our visit to Mayo, which we thought was the leading medical Center in the World. Evidentially got scheduled with the wrong Doctor. He could have looked over our records beforehand and not waisted our time traveling to get there and back to tell us nothing. We should have read some of these reviews before we got there because we would have requested to be seen by someone else, but did not know what our schedule was until we arrived.

July 14th, 2015
See Someone Else
After flipping thru a couple pages of my records and looking at two MRIs, he concludes I don't have MS. My problem is that I am obese. This has led to possible fibromyalgia and sleep apnea. I am fatigued and sore because I am fat and my vertigo is all in my "head". After travelling across country for help with my 9 year battle of constant fatigue, vertigo, cognitive issues and pain, this man decides in 5 minutes that I am fat and just need to "work harder". Single worst day of my life!

August 18th, 2013
Very knowledgeable, kind, professional and extremely caring person
Dr. Brian Weinshenker was my first contact with a Dr. at the Mayo Clinic. He was first of all very kind, caring, and professional and very much put me at ease. He knew my medical history and very patiently and methodically asked questions about my current condition I was seeing him for. After conferring with a Neurosurgeon he came up with an accurate diagnosis of my condition. He made the referrals for my surgery and saw me again after my surgery to discuss how I was doing. He always gave me excellent medical information and always made me feel welcome to ask him any questions. He took all the time needed to answer my questions. I would highly recommend Dr. Brian Weinshenker if you are looking for a good Neurologist who really takes an interest and cares for his patients.

June 14th, 2013
Knowledgable professional willing to take time with, listen to, and inform patients
My visit to Dr. Weinshenker at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota was a pleasant and very beneficial experience. I felt that my travel coming out of state from Washington was well worth the missed work and travel expense due to the exemplary time, attention and care I received, especially in comparison to my prior experiences with my neurologist in Washington. During my review of Dr. Weinshenker, I feel that it is appropriate, in order to highlight the merits of his work, to likewise provide contrast. Thus, I have entailed some information on my previous experiences outside of the Mayo Clinic. To begin, during my initial visit to Dr. Weinshenker, I provided a detailed, written, chronological outline of the symptoms (dates) that I had been experiencing for the past 3 plus months. I greatly appreciated that he not only looked over my outline, but he also personally went through it with me. He approached my outline so seriously as to thoroughly go item-by-item, asking me questions and taking notes after reviewing each incident/symptom that I had recorded. During my previous experiences outside of the Mayo Clinic, my outlines were largely ignored, there was minimal dialogue between the doctor and myself and this resulted in feelings of going unheard and thus feeling open to a possible misdiagnosis or no diagnosis. Next, Dr. Weinshenker did a very extensive physical neurological exam. I had previously undergone such an exam performed by my neurologist in Washington and noticed that Dr. Weinshenker’s exam included at least a third more components to his testing than my other neurologist’s. Further, I appreciated that Dr. Weishenker took the time to explain some of what he was looking for regarding to his verification or lack thereof concerning a diagnosis that had previously been made to me before my visit to Mayo. He explained key terms, for example, spasticity, which when looked up on-line often results in generalized definitions that may quickly cause a nonmedical person to jump to conclusions about self-diagnosis. During my physical, Dr. Weinshenker communicated in depth as to what he was checking for and was open and willing to calmly, not quickly, answer my questions in terms that a nonmedical person could understand. After all of this, Dr. Weinshenker sat down with me and was about ready to deliver his results. At this point, he had: looked at recent MRI’s as well as a recent diagnosis conducted out of state; extensively gone over my medical record/outline; and performed an inclusive exam. Before discussing his results, Dr. Weinshenker asked me why I had come to the Mayo Clinic. The opportunity to discuss my reasoning was very important to me as a patient. There is therapy to releasing our concerns and worry of abnormal or poor health, especially when we as patients may worry that our doctors question us. This feeling can often arise because as nonmedical people it can be intimidating and difficult to explain our symptoms in relatable terms to medical specialists and for me, this feeling had been further heightened by my past experience of not having felt listened to or engaged with by my other doctor concerning my ongoing symptoms. After sincerely listening to my reasoning for arriving to Mayo, Dr. Weinshenker went on to explain that he did not believe I actually had the spinal condition of Syringomyelia which I had been diagnosed with by my neurologist in Washington state. He explained why and even specifically showed me my MRI images and why according to my imaging, I did not have one of the classic signs in the cerebellum area of my brain. He further said that in his physical exam, specifically when testing with hot and cold sensations (which my other doctor had not performed) that my ability to feel hot and cold sensations in my chest and back as well as my lack of spasticity led to his ruling out of the condition. As well, he explained that he was baffled as to why my other doctor had not performed an axial imagery of my thoracic area of my back while taking my last MRI and that there could not be any 100% diagnosis or lack thereof without the axial component. Thus, he ordered me this MRI to be done at the Mayo Clinic, which ultimately did indeed confirm Dr. Weinshenker’s initial belief that I did not have Syringomyelia. In addition, Dr. Weinshenker did diagnosis me with Fibromyalgia. He had done a tender point physical test and after reviewing my medical background he concluded that my widespread symptoms of pain were indicative of Fibromyalgia. He said that neurologists can diagnosis Fibromyalgia and that there is recent study into a possible link between the condition and the central nervous system. Further, he took time to explain a good amount about Fibromyalgia even stressing that with stretching, regular light exercise like walking or swimming, a healthy diet and good sleep that within a year it would be possible to go into remission. He also ordered me visits to a physical therapist at Mayo to specifically tailor some stretches for me to help manage the condition and he ordered me to attend a fibromyalgia class offered for free at Mayo. (There is a 2 to 3 day program as well that is close to $1600, I couldn’t attend due to timing, but I would say the class was excellent and provided CDs, DVDs, and booklets). In conclusion, my experience with Dr. Weinshenker was what every patient hopes that they experience during a time of worry and uncertainty. I felt listened to and concerned for by a medical professional with years of education/expertise in his field that was able to relate to his patients in a way that was not condescending or rushed. Due to his expert knowledge, I had a diagnosis reversed that could have caused me a lifetime of worry as well as money wasted on getting MRIs every few years to monitor a condition I didn’t have as well as the costs of increased medical coverage for a pre-existing condition I didn’t have. Further, Dr. Weinshaker is an up to date doctor in his field who willing and capable in his knowledge and expertise to make diagnosis that perhaps other neurologists are not. He is also a doctor that offers sound advice for managing and improving diagnosis not just living with or suffering through. My only critical and constructive note to future patients of the Mayo Clinic is to be prepared for longer durations of stay than told to you by schedulers. When I scheduled my initial visit, the scheduler told me to reserve 7 business days after the initial visit to be available to return for future testing and follow up visits. I heard numerous instances of patients throughout the Mayo clinic being dissatisfied by having to pay fees to either cancel or reschedule return flights on top of the extra costs incurred to schedule hotel rooms for longer than originally expected. Thus, I warn that when booking a visit to the Mayo Clinic from out of state be prepared for more like 10 business days. The one true solace to this is being able to go to a Clinic where you will encounter a plethora of the top tiered professionals worldwide within an amazing facility, top medical gear and staff and prices that aren’t inflated due to prestige. I was shocked to learn that my doctor’s visit was $25 more than in Washington and my MRIs were actually less. Best of luck to anyone reading this post. May your health be as well as possible and may your medical experience, despite your circumstances or condition, be with as much ease and assurance by your doctor as possible.

May 13th, 2013
Complete Misdiagnosis and does not know how to practice medicine
Weinshenker gives shame to the mayo clinic. This illiterate Canadian doesn't know how to practice medicine. His exam was rough and his attitude was poor. When he came close to me I could smell his bad breath. Did not read any of the medical files I brought in for review. After 10 minutes he told me that there was nothing wrong and that I was imagining all the symptoms I was experiencing. Saw another Dr in my home state who CORRECTLY diagnosed my issue as a serious neurological issue. Started treatment and feeling 50% better already. Stay away from this jerk. He smells like rotten eggs and doesn't know what the heck he is talking about!

May 6th, 2013
MS - Second Opinion
Dr. Weinshenker was very thorough in his review of my records and my initial diagnosis of RRMS. After a very thorough exam and a number of questions, he stated that my initial diagnosis was incorrect and that my MS was actually Primary Progressive. The good news is that I no longer need to be on medication. The bad news is that there are no meds that are shown to have much impact on my form of MS. After my initial exam on Monday afternoon, Dr. W. set me up with a number of additional appointments with the excellent staff at Mayo. These appointments and tests were designed to better understand some of my more frustrating symptoms. On our last day at Mayo, Dr. W. squeezed us in to the last appointment of the day so that he could review the results of my other appointments. We had a very good discussion and I left Mayo with a new perspective and a plan for managing this disease. The three days we spent at Mayo were worth every minute. I appreciate the frank and honest discussion that I had with Dr. W. and each of the other doctors that I worked with. Mayo is an amazing place! Note, the wait time was long, but was due to being the last appointment of the day, on a day when Dr. W. was covering for another physician. We were allowed to wait in his office and were very comfortable. After three tiring days, it was nice to just have a quiet place to relax!

April 16th, 2013
New Perspective
When I was able to get to the Mayo Clinic, my only objective was to get a new perspective about my MS. I had been seeing the same doctor for 18 years, things were changing and I didn't know why, nor did I know how to ask the right questions. Seeing Dr. Weinshenker not only gave me a new perspective, but introduced me to a new drug that had no guarantees that it would work. He educated me on the risks and benefits, and answered my questions. He also answered questions I had about MS in general, and sometimes the truth hurts. Seeing me like a "new" patient gave another perspective. His answers are straight forward and are not sugar coated. Now, after that initial visit, I have learned more in the last six months, than in the last 18 years. Both he and his resident, Dr. Hu responded to my e-mails promptly (even on a Sunday night) when I had concerns or questions about the new drug. With this new perspective, I have also learned that doctors are like shoes, you have to keep trying on shoes until you find the right fit, and sometimes you end up with a lot of different pairs of shoes, but each doctor has given me a little more information than I had before to make better decisions.

April 2nd, 2013
Dr. Weinshenker tells it like it is. He is straight forward but considerate. Dr. Weinshenker has met with me over a 13 year period and I have been very satified with his diagnosis and recommendations.

March 18th, 2013
I wish I had read the other reviews earlier
I had a very similar experience with other reviewers. The doctor did not read my notes and kept asking me the same question about who had prescribed my medication 3 times and this happened on three consecutive visits. He couldn't believe that he had done it even though he was the only one who had. He was rough in his exam, patronizing and dismissive. For a long time I felt paranoid until I mustered the courage to ask to change doctors. My new doctor at the clinic is like night and day. This man may be smart but he is rude to women it would seem. The deparment is also understaffed and unlike the rest of the clinic has not been updated. It takes a long time to get an appointment, the reception staff always seem overworked and there are few nurses. I find it troubling that this depatment is run by the head of the whole clinic and does not bode well for it's future if this is the direction it is taking.

March 11th, 2013
Not pleased
I saw Dr. Weinshenker after 10 months doctors at other institutions not being able to diagnose me. I had great hopes for Mayo Clinic. I traveled to Rochester and stayed for 8 days. When I arrived for my first appointment with Dr. Weinshenker I handed over 100 pages of records to the receptionist. I waited for the doctor to review them before coming in. He walked into the office 30 minutes later, say down and said that he knew what was wrong. He said I had Fibromyalgia(which is correct). I discussed to symptoms I was having that we're atypical to Fibro. He said that he was stumped by those but he would do basic blood tests and if they were normal he would refer me to the Mayo Fibro clinic. He then asked me if I knew my BMI. I told him I did. He asked again. I said I did. I told him how stressed I was about the weight gain I'd experienced with the drugs I was on. He then told me that medicine doesn't make you fat and asked if I knew how many calories were in one of my pills. I was dumbfounded. He told me that the fibromyalgia was from lack of sleep from being overweight. To be clear, I am about 50 pounds overweight. Today I was diagnosed by my new rheumatologist with Sjogren's Syndrome. They never tested me for it despite having every symptom. I DO NOT recommend Dr. Weinshenker if you are anything other than skinny. It's all he focuses on.

October 19th, 2011
Arrogant, Sexist, and Dismissive
After making me wait for more than an hour and fifteen minutes, he came in without having reviewed my case at all. He proceeded to ask me questions, but then ignored the answers. When I described symptoms, he told me I was "misinterpreting" them, and I should be feeling something else (e.g. I said I felt numb; he insisted it was a burning sensation). Although I have been having various test done for four years, he made a quick "diagnosis" in 15 minutes, which I completely disagreed with (and had been disproved two years earlier). He refused to give me any real treatment for it (I would not have wanted it anyway), instead insisting that I should not "focus so much on my career" and "get more sleep," both dismissive and sexist statements. (I doubt he would have told a man he was too focused on his career.) More significantly, he informed me that I wasn't really in pain because "I could still function." There were many more of these statements within the 30 minutes he spent with me--too many to recount here--but suffice it to say I felt belittled, demeaned, repressed, and ignored. I am certain he would have treated a male patient better, although I doubt it would have been that much better overall.