Neurological Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Great Expereince - Great Doctor show details Great Expereince - Great Doctor
by Allen F on Feb 3rd, 2016

In May of 2015 my Endrocrinologist in Tulsa referred me to Dr Swearingen to remove a pituitary tumor found during an MRI after I had become extremely ill in April. Dr Swearingen and Amanda (his assistant) were helpful and friendly on the phone and in the office, and Amanda went above and beyond in helping me arrange my trip to Boston from Oklahoma -- I could have had the procedure in Houston, but my Dr in Tulsa highly recommended Dr Swearingen and Mass General and I am glad she did. My surgery was very successful, and after some initial complications because the tumor had spread behind my left eye, my sight has fully improved and I have not had what I often called "The Headache" since the operation (almost 7 months ago). Two days after my surgery he waited with me in the MRI room while I had the procedure to make sure my eye complications were not simply a temporary side effect of the removal of the tumor, and made sure I understood everything they were doing and why it was done. He has kept tabs on me since I came home, and reviewed an MRI I had as a followup in December very quickly, and suggested I continue to send copies of my annual MRI scan to him for review (which I will do). I have told anyone who asked that if they are sent to Dr Swearingen and/or Mass General do not hesitate -- he is simply THE BEST and Mass General was the best experience I have ever had with a hospital.

Still being followed after pituitary surgery show details Still being followed after pituitary surgery
Nov 22nd, 2015

This is my 3rd year out of pituitary surgery that Dr. Swearingen performed on me and I can say now that i have the same opinion of him as I did 3 years ago, he is by far the absolute best around without reservation do i state this opinion to be perfectly honest to all of you who may be having to consider this procedure, i would do it again tomorrow if i had to knowing that i would be in the great hands of this physician.

by Richard Laham on Aug 18th, 2015

I feel very fortunate to have dr. swearingen as one of my physician he does great work. One of the best.

Outstanding neurosurgeon with a wonderful personality! show details Outstanding neurosurgeon with a wonderful personality!
by Lena on Jul 30th, 2014

I agree with all the other reviews. Dr. Swearingen is a great surgeon. My story: On first day in a nursing/rehab after my first TKR, I experienced a very high and uncontrollable blood pressure – 200/100, along with pounding exploding headache. Rushed to hospital, c-scan taken. It showed pituitary tumor. I did not know this until 3 months later when I saw my PCP, who ordered MRI. I was directed to Dr. Swearingen. I knew he was the surgeon I could trust in this delicate surgery. Dr. Swearingen has a wonderful, nice, caring personality…and he is always there for his patients. Surgery (12/12) was a success. I am closely monitored. Thus far, no recurrence of tumor. I also want to thank Amanda for being so nice and helpful. With much appreciation and gratitude!

Experienced doctor who is concerned about his patients show details Experienced doctor who is concerned about his patients
Jan 29th, 2013

Dr. Swearingen is amazingly talented! He performed a neurosurgery on my husband that was previously failed by another neurosurgeon. He has a high level of care and personally follows up with his patients very closely. His assistant Amanda is also extremely warm, personable and helpful during the process. I HIGHLY recommend this doctor!!! It is rare to find a doctor of his caliber so accessible, dedicated and talented all at the same time. If you are looking for a neurosurgeon, look no further! You will not find a better one!

Outstanding Doctor show details Outstanding Doctor
Oct 10th, 2012

Dr. Swearingen performed transphenoidal surgery to remove my pituitary tumor in 2001. Through no fault of his, it grew back and he removed it again in 2005. After closely monitoring the regrowth over the next couple years, he determined raditation was the next most logical solution. I would have preferred surgery to avoid the negative long term effects of the radiation but he was correct to recommend radiation. I personally feel he is an outstanding doctor. My recovery time was minimal after both surgeries and I was home within 48 hours. With the assistance of daily medication (Prednisone, Testosterone, Levothyroxine and Growth Hormone) I live a complete life with my wife and three children, hold a full time job and play competitive amateur golf. I will forever be grateful to Dr. Swearingen.

100% Nurse Approved show details 100% Nurse Approved
Apr 11th, 2012

Dr. Swearingen is the best!! In addition to having the patience of a saint he is an expert at what he does. I have been a nurse for several years and have worked with many physicians in the Harvard teaching hospital network, but he is by far the most professional, no nonsense doctor you will meet. Please dont be fooled by his demeanor he truly cares about his patients will advise you what needs to be done but will not force surgery on you, (it took me several months and several visits before I took the leap) and each time I had and office visit he was kind and professional. In addition,this practice runs like a well oiled machine and every physician that works with him is top notch making the transition from preop to postop much easier. If you have to have pituitary surgery, I highly recommend him without reservation you will not be disappointed especially postoperatively when you realize that having a tooth extracted was more painful than this, I only wish I had it done earlier.

Amazing doctor, amazing man! show details Amazing doctor, amazing man!
Feb 26th, 2012

I will thank thank this Dr. for the rest of my life. If you need to have pituitary surgery, Mass General and Dr. Swearingen are a perfect match!

Jun 12th, 2011

I think it says it all in the top 2 questions....."Excellant" Doctors just don't come any better.

not my favorite show details not my favorite
Apr 18th, 2011

He spent little time with me and was the kind of doctor who came across arrogant and his bedside manner was poor, even insulting. My back surgery was successful despite a mistake made (I try not to blame the doc for this as I was told in advance there was a 1% chance of this mistake occuring during surgery). He may be a talented surgeon but I would not choose to go back to him if I had a choice. I see other patients had great experiences with him, so I hope my experience is truly abnormal, but the thought of working with him again actually scares me, not because of his lack of knowledge or talent or skill, but because of his complete lack of bedside manner.

Great Doc show details Great Doc
Mar 11th, 2011

This a a guy you can respect. Saw our son and gave an assessment of problem in a few minutes. Pointed out the abnormality on imaging that no one had.Called back any time we had a question.He is doing what other docs should be,following up and giving the best care possible.I wish the other docs were as good as he is,our son would be getting the help he needs by now.

Kevin show details Kevin
Oct 8th, 2010

I was losing feeling and function on my right side from head to toe. It turned out that i had a Ganglioglioma. Dr. Swearingen was my surgeon and after an eight hour surgery i had full function of my right side and 13 years later i still do. I owe him my life.

Pituitary macroadanoma show details Pituitary macroadanoma
Mar 6th, 2010

I had a pituitary macroprolactinoma that developed during my pregnancy. In order to safely conceive and carry again, dr Swearingen suggested we remove it. Surgery was two days ago, prolactin is normal and no surgical complications. Nurses at the hospital had a high opinion as well. His team and the neuroendocrine team were great

Oct 25th, 2009

Dr. Swearingen saved my life. Very gifted surgeon; one of the best in the United States. Not so great bedside, but that's not what he's needed for.

Outstanding show details Outstanding
by D. Artale on Sep 2nd, 2009

Dr. Swearingen removed a pituitary adenoma just 13 days ago. Going into the surgery, I had lost 95% of the sight in my right eye and about 35% in my left eye. Approximately 2 hours after surgery, my vision was 20/70. 24 hours later, my vision was restored to 20/20. I am totally amazed by the outcome! He is a skilled and talented surgeon. I hightly recommend Dr. Swearingen. He's my hero!!!