Surgical Specialist
Massachusetts General Hospital
15 Parkman St
Boston, MA 02114
617-726-3910
Locations and availability (2)

by Peggy on Aug 3rd, 2013

She is a HE !!!!!

|  Experienced doctor who is concerned about his patients  |  show details
Jan 29th, 2013

Dr. Swearingen is amazingly talented! He performed a neurosurgery on my husband that was previously failed by another neurosurgeon. He has a high level of care and personally follows up with his patients very closely. His assistant Amanda is also extremely warm, personable and helpful during the process. I HIGHLY recommend this doctor!!! It is rare to find a doctor of his caliber so accessible, dedicated and talented all at the same time. If you are looking for a neurosurgeon, look no further! You will not find a better one!

|  Outstanding Doctor  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2012

Dr. Swearingen performed transphenoidal surgery to remove my pituitary tumor in 2001. Through no fault of his, it grew back and he removed it again in 2005. After closely monitoring the regrowth over the next couple years, he determined raditation was the next most logical solution. I would have preferred surgery to avoid the negative long term effects of the radiation but he was correct to recommend radiation. I personally feel he is an outstanding doctor. My recovery time was minimal after both surgeries and I was home within 48 hours. With the assistance of daily medication (Prednisone, Testosterone, Levothyroxine and Growth Hormone) I live a complete life with my wife and three children, hold a full time job and play competitive amateur golf. I will forever be grateful to Dr. Swearingen.

|  100% Nurse Approved  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2012

Dr. Swearingen is the best!! In addition to having the patience of a saint he is an expert at what he does. I have been a nurse for several years and have worked with many physicians in the Harvard teaching hospital network, but he is by far the most professional, no nonsense doctor you will meet. Please dont be fooled by his demeanor he truly cares about his patients will advise you what needs to be done but will not force surgery on you, (it took me several months and several visits before I took the leap) and each time I had and office visit he was kind and professional. In addition,this practice runs like a well oiled machine and every physician that works with him is top notch making the transition from preop to postop much easier. If you have to have pituitary surgery, I highly recommend him without reservation you will not be disappointed especially postoperatively when you realize that having a tooth extracted was more painful than this, I only wish I had it done earlier.

|  Amazing doctor, amazing man!  |  show details
Feb 26th, 2012

I will thank thank this Dr. for the rest of my life. If you need to have pituitary surgery, Mass General and Dr. Swearingen are a perfect match!

Jun 12th, 2011

I think it says it all in the top 2 questions....."Excellant" Doctors just don't come any better.

|  pituitary tumor  |  show details
May 17th, 2011

I was misdiagnosed for 8 yrs before they finally said I had cushings disease. After much research we chose Dr. Swearingen to operate on me. It was a tough road for me but here it is almost six years (June 23, 2005) and I am almost steroid free. The surgery was a great success, he is a wonderful, caring and very professional MD who saved my life. I would highly recommend Dr. Swearingen without a second thought. I had an infection after the surgery in my groin area where they removed skin. When I called to notify him he said to come right in. As soon as I walked in he saw me right away then again in two days and again in 3 days. He is the best. My girlfriend was just diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and I will be calling Dr. Swearingen to care for her. Great Doctor!!!

|  not my favorite  |  show details
Apr 18th, 2011

He spent little time with me and was the kind of doctor who came across arrogant and his bedside manner was poor, even insulting. My back surgery was successful despite a mistake made (I try not to blame the doc for this as I was told in advance there was a 1% chance of this mistake occuring during surgery). He may be a talented surgeon but I would not choose to go back to him if I had a choice. I see other patients had great experiences with him, so I hope my experience is truly abnormal, but the thought of working with him again actually scares me, not because of his lack of knowledge or talent or skill, but because of his complete lack of bedside manner.

|  Great Doc  |  show details
Mar 11th, 2011

This a a guy you can respect. Saw our son and gave an assessment of problem in a few minutes. Pointed out the abnormality on imaging that no one had.Called back any time we had a question.He is doing what other docs should be,following up and giving the best care possible.I wish the other docs were as good as he is,our son would be getting the help he needs by now.

|  Kevin  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2010

I was losing feeling and function on my right side from head to toe. It turned out that i had a Ganglioglioma. Dr. Swearingen was my surgeon and after an eight hour surgery i had full function of my right side and 13 years later i still do. I owe him my life.

|  Pituitary macroadanoma  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2010

I had a pituitary macroprolactinoma that developed during my pregnancy. In order to safely conceive and carry again, dr Swearingen suggested we remove it. Surgery was two days ago, prolactin is normal and no surgical complications. Nurses at the hospital had a high opinion as well. His team and the neuroendocrine team were great

Oct 25th, 2009

Dr. Swearingen saved my life. Very gifted surgeon; one of the best in the United States. Not so great bedside, but that's not what he's needed for.

|  Outstanding  |  show details
by D. Artale on Sep 2nd, 2009

Dr. Swearingen removed a pituitary adenoma just 13 days ago. Going into the surgery, I had lost 95% of the sight in my right eye and about 35% in my left eye. Approximately 2 hours after surgery, my vision was 20/70. 24 hours later, my vision was restored to 20/20. I am totally amazed by the outcome! He is a skilled and talented surgeon. I hightly recommend Dr. Swearingen. He's my hero!!!