Dr. Brooks Michaels MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

June 28th, 2016
I love this doctor. I have to wait to see him, but it is worth it. Great office staff. Wonderful doctor.

February 1st, 2016
The Dr is nice and usually takes time with patients causing the long waits others mention in their reviews. I don't mind waiting for a Dr that takes time to address my concerns. The Dr seems overly hesitant to order tests. When I do have tests I am not usually informed of results. I thought that meant things were ok. I discovered not all my test results were ok but I was never told. The office staff is horrible, borders on dangerous. They strongly discourage appointments for anything that can't wait three weeks and at times deny request. They have no respect for patient needs. Failure to provide information to patients. Getting prescription refilled takes several phone calls over weeks, also borders on dangerous. There is an attitude of telling the patient as little as possible. I don't know if that is Dr policy or office staff policy. I wonder who makes the policies. The office staff has an attitude that makes the patient feel like they are an inconvenience to them. The woman at the desk is very cold but uses "sweet" language. I have not experienced Maria (the r.n. or medical tech, not sure of title) being mean as other reviews state. Although, she does not demonstrate basic efficiency. The Dr needs different staff most certainly. Overall, there seems to be a huge lack of realization their action and lack of actions damage patient health.

September 30th, 2015
Good luck trying to get anything done at this office. Referrals, return phone calls, test results, ect. are next to impossible. It takes weeks to actually get an appointment with the doctor and once you do, you will most likely be waiting for an hour to actually see the doctor and talk to him for all of five minutes. He is always rushed seems to be bothered if you actually have questions or concerns regarding your health. It is obvious Dr. Michaels has way too many patients and neither he nor his office staff can handle it. If you want a doctor who sees you as more than a dollar sign I would stay far away from this one.

August 18th, 2015
The best Dr. ever. I still travel to Simi 45 minutes to see him!

July 8th, 2015
Great Doctor
I have been seeing Dr. Michaels for about 10 years and can comfortably say after experiencing many other doctors that he is one of the best. He is an absolute professional and genuinely cares about the health of his patients. I also like that he takes considerable pride in his medical successes, like helping me get on track with my health after years of my voluntarily being pretty unhealthy. I owe Dr. Michaels a debt for his patience and hard work with treating me. As time has passed, his office has become much more popular, making it difficult to get an appointment faster than two weeks from the date of the initial call. I definitely feel like his office is managed in such a way as to squeeze in as many appointments as possible, resulting in long waits in the exam room while he finishes with other patients. Last, I've noticed an unfortunate difference in priority since switching from PPO to HMO, and have listened to the doctor express his frustration regarding the wrestling match involved in dealing with HMOs. It's an unfortunate circumstance of our broken medical insurance industry, but more unfortunate that it impacts the quality of care for most patients, not just the ones in this office. Overall, I believe Dr. Michaels is an outstanding doctor, but appointment setting and office wait times have prompted my family to push for an alternative, unfortunately.

June 20th, 2015
Bad doctor with terrible office staff and horrible office manager/RN
I've read many of the reviews here and most of them are negative. It rings so true to me. I was a patient of this doctor for several years. At first he appeared to be caring and took genuine interest in my health. After a few years his attitude changed. He had an RN (Maria) who was/is a bully. There were times that I showed up on time for my appointment and waited for as long as an hour before I got to see him. The nurse would take my vitals and tell me that the doctor will be in shortly, only to leave me waiting in the room for another 30 minutes. But heaven forbid that I was ever late for an appointment. The office staff would reprimand me for being late, as if I am a child, in front of a waiting room full of people. It was very embarrassing and very unprofessional on their side to do that. I did not like the way Maria talked to me. From day one she was rude, arrogant and highly unprofessional. The doctor had Maria do his reprimanding and shouting at patients. He didn't respect the privacy laws and would discuss problems of his other patients when going over my treatment. He blamed many of his patients for being drug addicts and abusing prescription medication. I have had a new doctor now for several years and am thankful that I'm not subjected to the treatment by Dr. Michaels and his office staff and Maria. My blood pressure was higher as a patient of Dr. Michaels. At the time I didn't realize that every time I had an appointment with him, I would experience anxiety in anticipation of what I was about to face. I do not recommend this doctor to anyone.

May 22nd, 2015
EXCELLANT, COMPASSIONATE DR. He really listens to his patients too.

March 23rd, 2015
WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
This Dr. has gotten so much worse with age. The staff is worse. There is no communication. It takes way to long to get an appt. 3 weeks from now isn't going to help my migraine today. Every time I go to urgent care they are inept, couldn't even find the keys to the supply cabinet. If you have complex health issues, STAY AWAY.

February 2nd, 2015
Great Doctor!
I have been seeing Dr. Michaels for about five years. He's always been very caring, very smart, and willing to talk to me like I'm a real person. The doctor I had before wanted me to listen to her and do what she said, no questions asked. Dr. Michaels is the opposite. He seems to like questions. He gets excited if he can help you. Very nice person. Yes, the staff has their moments, they're not always sweetness and light. But, it's not easy working in the doctor's office. Cut them some slack. I would recommend him to everyone.

January 8th, 2014
HAD ME FOOLED
Seemed nice and amenable at verse....then dropped me when I reschduled a physical and had his"RN" phone me with a hostile, negative attitude, rude and disrespectful. AVOID

December 10th, 2013
I have been a patient of Dr Michaels for 10 years. He has been a great Dr. and I also would have recommended him. But about 2 years ago he changed. I have had some of the same issues others have stated. He has become more interested in money than helping. He started me on Pain Meds 10 years ago, and now has decided I have taken them long enough and treats me like I abuse them. Which I never have, and the records prove it. It takes 7 to 14 days to get my refills and the pharmacist usually ends up having to call. He has lost his communication skills and blames me for not reading his mind. But the worst is the office staff especially the manager. She acts all sweet but she is not. Once you get on their bad side for any reason, you are black balled. I am so disappointed and hurt at how I have been treated. I don't know what happened, its like he is a whole different person. Oh and when I had a PPO a few years ago I was treated very good, when I switched to the HMO I was treated very poorly. He will only see HMO patients every 6 to 8 weeks. I have to go to urgent care in between that. I could go on but I've said enough. I just wish I could have my caring nice Dr back.

May 31st, 2013
I have been a patient of Dr. Michaels for many many years. He has always treated me with respect, courtesy and above all caring. He takes the time to talk to you and answer any questions you have. At one time, he also was my mother's doctor for a while and treated her with kindness, knowledge and caring. Just last year he saved my life. I will always be grateful to him for that. I have referred him to numerous friends and they all have nothing to say but praise for him. He keeps up with all the newest medical technologies and findings in medicine. In my opinion he is a very caring person who truly cares about the welfare of his patients. I am truly shocked to read some of the reviews posted as myself, my family or friends have never experienced what they are posting.