inactive

Bruce F McDonald DO Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

September 16th, 2014
This doctor saved my life
Very kind Very informative Painless Gave detailed home care print outs Gave more advice over the phone Almost no scarring Quick in and out All my family now uses him. We all highly recommend him to others. A great person in general!!!! Kudos

August 14th, 2014
Burned a cigarette sized scar into my forehead
I am a person that is licensed in the medical field. I'm not a doctor, but I'm not an fool, either. This "surgeon" provides the lowest quality care that I could ever imagine having. Once you can get him to stop talking, after HE HAS NOT really listened to your chief complaint, then do yourself a favor and DO NOT let this man near you with a sharp instrument or anything hot. He will listen to about the first 30 seconds of your problem and then go on long winded monologues that basically feed his starved ego with his own words, like some sort of personal affirmation rather than true confidence in his abilities...how great he is, followed by how great he is, followed by how great he is, followed by what is wrong with the world, then God knows what....eventually, you'd think he was going to get around to saying he invented the internet or split the atom back in the day. I came in the office to ask about maybe having a couple of moles removed. Just wasn't excited about their appearance. I was looking for an opinion/advice as to whether or not the cosmetics would be worse by removing these tiny couple of moles or better just leaving them be. The Dr. actually called himself "basically a plastic surgeon" and went on about how he was able to complete procedures all these other physicians had failed at and that I'd not not even notice a tiny, tiny little scar that would be left. So..I'm like, OK, let's do it, I guess a tiny scar would be OK as long as it's not a big pock mark because I already have a couple of those from chicken pox on my face/forehead. I'd rather have the mole than than another pock mark in my head. Guess he didn't hear that either because he wouldn't shut up or maybe just didn't care. He comes at these little obviously benign moles with a punch/core biopsy corkscrew looking instrument (wow) and I can't even ask a question about the fear of this technique because he won't shut up. Basically he cored a hole about 3/16" deep into my forehead above my eye brow to extract the mole (wasn't even a mole---karetanized, scar-like tissue beneath the skin causing a raised spot--I'll tell you why I know this later) then he closed the wound basically by burning all the flesh he cut (cauterized)---this left a deep, cigarette sized pock mark in my forehead that was about FIVE TIMES the diameter of the original 'mole' and a deep impression. Same thing with the second one only smaller and less deep, less noticeable. BTW, there will be literally and EIGHT FOOT TALL painting of Jesus being baptized in the river three feet from the 'surgical chair' to your right. You will be staring at this painting while this man carves out your skin, if the whole religious thing bothers you--just so you know. I could care less as long is their is competence and respect exhibited to me. He could go into a room and sacrifice a live chicken between patients for all I care.... and since he loves to share his beliefs and politics with patients, like it or not.....the guy is a way out in right field, right wing radical. Tea Party level stuff and beyond, if that makes a difference to you. When I got home and eventually pulled the bandage off, I literally almost passed out at the size and depth of the holes he left. I called the office the next day in a panic, asking to be seen again and they keep putting me off saying "well, you can't really tell how something will look until a year later at least, it SHOULD get a little better but we don't know how much better and the classic, of course, everyone should know that where there is a cut there is going to be a scar". Seriously? Why wasn't I told the Dr was going to core a giant hole into my forehead to take off a tiny mole instead of using a less brutal method (or better yet, maybe recommending to leave it alone?!). Well, I waited a year and yep, still a really big hole above my eyebrow (the other spot had become irrelevant to me due to the size of the 'major' hole). This self-proclaimed "basically a plastic surgeon", "skin artist", and whatever else he called himself in front of me that day to pump his ego had done a ridiculous damage to my face that was not going to heal. I visited another dermatologist and a plastic surgeon. I found a procedure to fill in MOST of the hole that this man left after about 2 years. Another doctor bailed me out to the point to where at least it isn't the first thing on my mind when I'm standing face to face with someone. Oh, and watch out for getting price gouged by him sending off unnecessary biopsies for pathology examination. It was clear that these were simple, little cosmetic things...but because he sent them off for pathology reports (which of course, were negative) I had to pay off 800 dollars (payable to the physician's office, not the pathology group...wonder why I couldn't just pay the bill to people that looked at it????)

August 6th, 2013
He talks too much. I can't imagine who is waiting in the waiting room when he spends so long basically chit chatting and not listening. How does he book his appointments? One every two hours? His nurses are not helpful. I told a nurse my concerns. (he addressed one of two) She listened to him talk for a very long time and he forgot one of my concerns. Rather than step in and remind him, she let it go. I certainly didn't want to redirect because I might have been there another hour and a half. Forget it. I'll go to the fourth doctor in town, I guess.

March 26th, 2013
The man talks too much. He doesn't seem to read body language well. If I'd read this site before my appt I might have known an initial visit would be 1.5 hours of him talking about his training and his opposition to birth control. His prescribed regimen is probably appropriate and more thorough than the many doctors I've been to for my skin conditions. However, I do not want a side of moral opinion with my treatment.

November 27th, 2012
Time with Doctor
This DO is very good at what he does, very smart man. However........... my first visit with him lasted over 2 hours as he talked about his writings, how female hormones affect your skin, God, and mostly about himself. I appreciate the time he spent with me, but my time is booked as well and 2 hours listening to a doctor talk about himself was insane! I wasn't offended to his references of God, but some may be. He knows his craft and is extremely caring. His staff is very nice.

August 27th, 2012
Everything About This Doctor and His Practice is Messed Up!
Not only did he turn a 10 min appt into 2 hours with his constant talking, he burned me after he scraped off a couple tiny moles. These burns are still healing two months later. I had no idea he was going to turn tiny cuts into much larger burn areas. I've never had anyone do that!! On top of this, he overcharged me, according to my insurance company, and I'm still trying to get my money back.

July 9th, 2012
He'll Talk Your Ear Off
My problem with Dr. McDonald isn't that he didn't spend enough time with me, it's that he spent too much time. He talks and talks. Doesn't let you get a word in edgewise. It's torture. As to his skills as a doctor: he didn't wash his hands between patients, didn't clean the area first with antiseptic, didn't use sterile gloves. I'm lucky I didn't get an infection.

September 26th, 2011
2 hours for a 10 minute visit
After waiting for 45 minutes after my scheduled appt. time, I was finally put into a room where I sat for another 20 minutes. Dr. came in and rambled on about his military duties, homoexuals in the military, the Presidential decisions and gave his opinion on all. The actual medical exam took less than 10 minutes, but I couldn't get him to stop veering off of his opinions on social issues long. Fortunately, I do not have to go back. I would choose another dermatologist just for the time consumption.

May 29th, 2011
One of the best physicians in America....great man
I have known Dr. Bruce McDonald for many years and have never been to a more compassionate, caring and experienced physician. He takes time with his patients which sets him apart from most other docs. He love his work, life and family ...and it shows. God bless this wonderful man.

November 3rd, 2010
Won't be making an appointment with his office again.
I called and made an appointment with Dr. McDonald's office for my daughter. The day before the appointment, his office called to confirm and said they would cancel the appointment if I didn't return their call. I work as a teacher and can't take cell phone calls. When I did get the message after work (3:30 pm) I called his office immediately to confirm, but was told my appointment had been given to someone else. This is a poor way to handle appointments but at least I found out before I started a doctor/patient relationship.