Dr. Bruce Summerville MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.8

no change

September 13th, 2016
horrible bed side manner
saw me for very short time and just calls everything arthritis

August 17th, 2013
After waiting almost an hour for him to see me , he spent about 10 minutes with me where he failed to diagnose the problem. He did not think there was anything wrong with me and sent me on my way. Months later , still in pain I went to another doctor who accurately diagnosed my torn cartilage that needs surgery.

May 19th, 2011
Fair diagnosis, major billing issues
I saw Dr. Summerville after dealing with shoulder pain for close to a year (I had to wait for my HMO insurance to finally cover the visit). Dr. Summerville's diagnosis was vague... he had suspicions of what was wrong, but wanted to do "exploratory surgery" to confirm. I wasn't so thrilled with that answer and ended up seeing a different specialist who eventually did perform surgery.Flash forward six months and a receive a $300+ bill from Dr. Summerville's office for the consultation visit. I called his office, explained that I was on HMO when I saw him and that the visit had been pre-approved and covered. They insisted I call my insurance provider, which I did. It turned out Dr. Summerville's staff failed to submit the insurance claim within the amount of time required (they submitted the paperwork three months after my visit), and my insurance provider said they'd deal with the matter. A month later I received another bill for the same amount from Dr. Summerville's office. I'm still dealing with this issue at present. These people are at best very incompetent and at worst scam artists. Simply put, there are better doctors (and staff) out there.

August 5th, 2010
Excellent doctor
I'm in my 40's but have been living with severe knee pain because of sports injuries when I was younger. I had seen other doctors who either said I was too young for a knee replacement, or recommended a total knee replacement. Dr. Summerville identified that the arthritis only involved half my knee. He knew I wanted to stay as active as possible. He performed a partial knee replacement. The recovery was really fast and I only stayed in the hospital for a few days. I can bike and play doubles tennis now.