Internist

3.0

• Currently 3.1904761904762 of 4 stars
 |  Dr. Yaffe's the best!  |  show details
by Nancy L. on Sep 23rd, 2014

Dr. Yaffe is the best! He's been my doctor for over 20 years and, in that time, I have referred him to my husband, my mother, and now my adult kids. He's very accessible and action-oriented: if you've got a health problem, he diagnoses it, advises you on treatment, and sends you on your way. Quick questions can be resolved via email in short order. In an emergency, you can almost always be seen by a medical professional the same day. As for GI, his approach to colonoscopies is the best I know of. Others in my family are seen by Dr. Kakoulas and Dr. Braunstein and are happy with their care. PAs are knowledgeable and helpful. Referrals to specialists, many in the same office, are top-notch. An excellent choice for medical care.

|  Steer clear – Unclean, unprofessional, unethical billing practices  |  show details
by Jordan K. on May 14th, 2014

Couple of things you should know: 1) I came to Dr. Yaffe’s 65th Street office upon a recommendation from someone whose opinion I value and whom I trust. She had had a colonoscopy with Dr. Yaffe 5 years ago. 2) I have only written one other negative online review in my life (for a B&B). Clearly this office and this practice have gone way downhill in the last 4 years. Unprofessional/Dirty: In brief, the office was chaotic and disorganized. My procedure was scheduled for 10:30 am and it was 12 noon when I began my paperwork with the administrative intake assistant. Clearly, they are busting out of this space as I was led to a back hallway, up three steps and my intake happened at a small school desk in front of two industrial double doors in a cold, dimly light hallway that led to an adjacent building. After my procedure I was dumped into a dimly light cold closet that doubled as an “office” – clearly occupied - with one fluorescent light shining above. Unprofessional: I was informed at this time that even though my procedure was 100 percent covered by my insurance as it was a preventative baseline colonoscopy - that the anesthesia fees – Dr. Carlon’s - were not covered by my insurance carrier. I was also told that the chances of my insurance covering Dr. Carlon’s fees were very good because Dr. Yaffe was ‘in network” and if I appealed, my insurance would most likely cover Dr. Carlon’s fees. After 17 hours of fasting and preparation – and it now being 12 noon – there was no turning back. I understood clearly when I gave the asst my credit card and signed the agreement that I could be out of pocket 750.00 if my insurance would not pay consider Dr. Carlon’s fees. The agreement I signed also said that Dr. Carlon 1) would inform me if he was paid by my insurance carrier and 2) reimburse me if he was paid by my insurance carrier. Unethical: Long story shortened, after several calls to my insurance carrier Dr. Carlon was paid. Dr. Carlon 1) did not inform me and 2) refused to reimburse me 3) never once reached out personally to resolve the matter. After 4 months of back and forth, countless hours of calls with his assistant, he reluctantly reimbursed me 500.00 of my 750.00. He did not honor his billing agreement, he was obstructionist in his manner, and arrogant in tone. He finally responded when I reached out to Dr. Yaffe to intervene on my behalf as I was getting nowhere Dr. Carlon. I finally dropped it – out of pocket 250.00 and several months later. Don’t go here – it’s a mismanaged factory.

|  incredibly responsive  |  show details
Apr 24th, 2014

Top doctor in his field, Dr. Yaffe can be reached 24/7.. His staff is the most efficient I have ever experienced.

|  Excellent physician and staff  |  show details
by John W on Dec 30th, 2013

I have been going to Dr. Yaffe since the mid-1980's and have never been anything less than pleased with Dr. Yaffe and his staff. During annual physicals, he brings up my records on the computer, newly evaluates each of my medical issues and recommends excellent specialists or makes appointments for colonoscopies, endoscopies, which he performs expertly in his office setting. The office, in fact, offers a number of health programs on site and if you find yourself ill one morning, you can walk in and see a PA and then, if needed, a physician on site rather than go to an emergency room. Staff is excellent and helpful. PA Valerie Cotsalas, for instance, is very professional, caring and knowledgable and has gone out of her way in times of need. Recently Miriam doggedly pursued a medical facility to make certain they had my necessary info to perform a medical test. It is a great place and I have been in capable hands all round for thirty years now. Highly recommended.

|  Been satisfied for over 20 years  |  show details
by Arlene L on Nov 19th, 2013

Bruce Yaffe has been my physician for over 20 years. I appreciate the variety of specialists and tests available at the same office. I also appreciate being able to see a qualified medical professional at short notice when I need one. My only complaint is that some time when I call, there is a long wait or I get an answering machine.

|  Excellent Care! Thanks, Dr. Yaffe.  |  show details
by Barry G. on Oct 19th, 2013

Ive been going to Yaffe Ruden for over 10 years and the care I've been getting from the doctors is exceptional. As a cancer survivor, I've probably had experience with more doctors than most people have had in their lifetime. I'd like to cite Dr Bruce Yaffee. I've had several colonoscopies and an endoscopy. Besides professional excellence, Dr. Yaffe and his entire staff are dedicated and caring. And they're also upbeat and make you feel at ease.. Dr, Yaffe's table-side manner (I'm on table, not a bed when he performs the colonoscopy) makes you forget you're in a doctor's office. He's got a good sense of humor to make you forget you're getting an intrusive medical procedure. The mood is so relaxing that afar the anesthesia I felt as if I was waking up in a seaside resort. (Indeed, the recovery room is actually furnished like a beach even with the sound of waves.) I just have one wish. That I hope to be going to Dr, Yaffe for many more decades.

by Jane R. on Sep 20th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Yaffe for 20 years. When I had to have cancer surgery 7 years ago, they got me in to do my pre-ops instantaneously (my surgeon called at 5:30 PM and I was in the next day). At the time, I was on a healthcare system which required referrals, and I can't even begin to say how helpful the referral person was in getting me everything I needed (which was a lot). Luckily, things for me are better now, but when I need something Yaffe Ruden is there. My husband's doctor retired a few years ago and he came to Yaffe Ruden. He has been incredibly impressed by Dr. Yaffe and his staff. Whenever I have a question (even if mundane), I can email Dr. Yaffe and I get a response the same day. The PA's are all very helpful and caring. This is a busy practice with an incredibly broad range of resources which they manage very well. They are always striving to improve things. Jane R.

|  Great Doc  |  show details
by Carole L on Sep 20th, 2013

Dr. Bruce Yaffee has been my GP and Gastro for many years now. I travel in from LI to see him since I moved from NYC a few years ago. I trust him and he has guided me with many medical issues over the years. He responds immediately and personally to my emails. I couldn't be happier with him. His mannerism is warm and friendly. His PA's are excellent and have helped me greatly over the years when I have needed a doc on a moments notice. I have never had a problem with his staff. I hope this man never retires or even considers it.

|  Dr. Yaffe Review:  |  show details
by Lenny S. on Sep 5th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Yaffe's for over 20 years and I plan to be a patient for many more years to come. I have never I had a problem or complaint about him or his staff. He has also been a great help to me with my health insurance. I have referred him to many people in the past and still refer him today. I highly recommend him and his team. You definitely won't be disappointed with Dr. Yaffe.

|  Excellent Care - Both from Dr and Staff  |  show details
by Randi A on Jun 7th, 2013

I've been a patient of Dr Yaffe's for more than 20 years. I dont see him often as i'm pretty healthy. So here's the straight deal... Yes, the office is chaotic, yes, there are times you may have a long wait, yes if you call in with a sore throat, they may suggest seeing a PA. However, i had what i thought was somewhat urgent and they got me an appt the very next morning. There is more to the story... Yes, he was finishing up a procedure and i had to wait about 30 mins - but you know what - he was able to fit me and spend time with me. Not only that, he called Lennox Hill radiology and insisted they see me right away and sent me right over. Let's now add to the fact that Joan (name tags sometimes come in very handy) in the office got me my paperwork and ushered me out the door with a smile and a good sense of humor (which was just what I needed). So here's the thing - no office is perfect and nothing always runs smoothly; but at the end of the day I'm happy to see a PA for a strep test, and wait a little, if when in a crunch and when it really matters, I get the kind of care I received yesterday. I've lived in NYC all my life - it's not easy these days finding a compassionate, accomplished Dr. Dont be so quick to look elsewhere - when it matters - this team is there for you. Oh, and bring your charger as you may wait a bit, but they have charging areas throughout the waiting room....

|  Patient  |  show details
by AF on Jun 3rd, 2013

This doctor and his pratice are the best!!!! If every doctor ran his practice like thsi life will be so easy! he has the best technology and always evolving his parcatice to suit the patient. Only draw back is it is hard get an appoitment with Dr.Yaffe but all the other doctors are great too

|  One Happy Patient  |  show details
by Babs P. on May 29th, 2013

I try to spend as little time as possible in doctors' offices, but if I need specific lumps and bumps checked out or a routine exam done, I'm coming here every time. I have been a patient of Dr. Yaffe for over 12 years, and he is a wise and wonderful doctor. The office itself is equipped to do a lot of different procedures that might otherwise need to be performed in a hospital setting (like the endoscopy I had a couple months ago after experiencing severe and recurrent abdominal pain). The practice has a number of specialists for a host of health and wellness needs (which for me, is really convenient--I don't have time to call my insurance company and figure out who to go to or do extensive online research for other specialized docs nearby--if they're not already in-house at Yaffe Ruden, then one of the office staff is quick to point me in the right direction). The space itself has a good vibe; both the clerical staff and nurses / associates are upbeat and knowledgeable. I like knowing that from the minute I book my appointment to the minute I leave the office, I'm going to have a relatively easy and straightforward experience. As a Manhattan-based fitness instructor I continually recommend my clients to Yaffe Ruden, so I'll convey the same to you--if you're looking for great docs and a well-run practice that makes for a positive experience, I strongly encourage you to call them!

Apr 1st, 2013

At first the office gives a tremendous impression of competence and organization. There are computers to use while you wait (a long time). He has computer terminals in all the examining rooms, creating the impression of state-of-the-art. But this guy is running a business, not a medical practice. Everything is optimized to increase throughput and cash flow.

|  Good for yearly physical  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2012

I rarely see an actual Dr. when I go to that office; it's always a P.A. Once I needed to see a Gastro and got an appt with DR. Yaffe. I had to call back to ask him a question. They refused to give him my message and asked me to email him, which takes longer to read/reply than a couple of mins on the phone. They always have their office staff,with no medical training, call back with results. They're usually as clueless as the patients and aren't able to explain the things that they're reading over the phone.

|  Bedside manner nonexistent  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2012

Was referred to Dr. Yaffe for a colonoscopy due to recurrent gastrointestinal infections. After the procedure he informed me I needed surgery to remove part of the colon. That was 4 years ago and my colon is still intact...glad I didn't listen to his advice and sought another opinion. Dr. Yaffe's bedside manner left much to be desired.

|  Best Doctior, Very Convenient Practice  |  show details
Aug 16th, 2011

Bruce is an intelligent man who has created a practice at the cutting edge of 21st Century medicine. The practice is big, but therefore can be flexible and accomodating. Complaints about the size of the practice underestimate the benefit of a place that has the pulse of health trends in the city.

|  problem solved  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

this man is van gough with a scalple

by joan parent on Jun 19th, 2010

Dr. Yaffee is an intelligent man with an oversized ego. He essentially functions as pediatrician for adults. That is, he mainly treats self limited conditions such as colds as sprains. He is competant but certainly would not be considered an excellent physican.

by Diane Schacht on Jun 15th, 2010

I was a dedicated patient for over 20 years when this practice had tiny space in the east 80's. I've put up with ridiculously long waits in the office, less than pleasant office staff, a wait of six months for a physical. NO MORE!my last annual exam was scheduled for 6pm, Yaffe's last appt of the day, during which time he bragged about how many patients he had seen that day, checked his email, went on and on about various accomplishments he had racked up and not a word about how I was feeling. This, after being a devoted, dedicated patient. no more. I am going to a practice where I don't have to make room for a larger than life ego and can be given the minimal amount of time and attention I deserve, even in these days of HMOs and PPOs.

|  This practice is a Factory!  |  show details
May 16th, 2010

If you want to be treated like an automobile on an assembly line...go here!!

|  the problem  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2010

Dr. Yaffe is great IF you can get an appointment with him. I tried to book him for a physical and it was about 6 months. I booked with a different doctor, who was very nice. Problem was I had to chase them 3-4 times to get my lab results.Then, when I was sick and wanted to see Dr. Yaffe, they gave me one of the doc's on call. She was awful. Too busy on the cell phone with her husband. I've now booked a different doctor because I know that Dr. Yaffe won't be there if I'm really ill. Like someone said above, if you have the flu..fine. But, more than that, this is not the place I want to be.

Mar 18th, 2010

Dr Yaffe is a very good doctor, he has very little patience. There is always a very long wait and the staff is nasty. Often I get seen by a PA not a doctor which I do not like The office is like a factory

|  Best transition from 'concierge' to 'managed care'  |  show details
by Long-time Patient on Mar 6th, 2010

Bruce Yaffe used to be one of New York's most exclusive 'concierge' doctors, with an intimate office at 84th Street and Park Avenue and a patient roster comprised almost entirely of celebrities and captains of industry, many of whom were his personal friends. When the managed care tidal wave changed the basics of medical practice about a decade ago, he took a shot at seeing if he could re-conceive the practice as a high-end, cost-effective, mass-market version of concierge medicine.To everyone's surprise, he has, to a large extent, succeeded. Yafee/Ruden (his partner, Ronald Ruden, is still active, and specializes in nutrition, but Yaffe is clearly the big draw here) now operates out of a spacious, airy, ground floor clinic on 65th Street, with more than a dozen physicians and a full-time staff of something like 50 people. They have lots of capabilities on premises and can do quite a few procedures on an out-patient basis. They have a comprehensive web site, patient-editable medical records, and a multi-person, dedicated staff to handle referrals to a web of specialists they have vetted.The result of all this is quite interesting. You can usually get an appointment the same day (virtually unheard of in New York), and they have great hours (8 am to 7 pm five days a week). You can book appointments online, check on the web to see if they're running late, and update your own file. You also will get excellent medical care from a highly professional staff, and typically at least a fly-by from Yaffe himself, who is still one of the top GI doctors in the country (regularly appearing on the Today Show, the Top Ten lists in NY Mag, etc.)Personally, Yaffe is brilliant (his rep is well deserved), but the slight problem is that he knows it, and it shows. As a result, he has a propensity to speak quickly, take phone calls while examining you, be a tad patronizing, and drop names of famous patients/friends. The personal time he spends with you also tends to correlate a bit with how famous or important you are. The flip side, however, is that you're now able to be diagnosed and treated by one of the country's best doctors, for the cost of regular insurance and a $10 co-pay.So, the bottom line is that if you're expecting kindly old Dr. Kildare, who will spend half an hour chatting with you about your Great Aunt Mary, this isn't the right practice for you. But, if you're an active, pragmatic patient who wants fast, efficient, high-quality care and understands that means you'll be experiencing a fair bit of PA time and relatively little Yaffe, then you should definitely check out Yaffe/Ruden. It's the face of modern, efficiently-run, managed care...and it's actually not bad at all.

|  Depends on what you are looking for  |  show details
May 9th, 2008

If you are the type that gets lots of colds and sinus infections then go to this guy because you will always get an appt. You probably won't see a doctor but for the routine stuff the PA's are fine. I saw a PA when I thought I had a sinus infection, he said I probably didn't but gave me a scrip to fill if the sypmtoms got worse. Then Bruce pops in for 30 seconds and gives me a handful of samples of antibiotics and tells me to take them. The PA was frustrated by this, as anyone would be, because he was the one that took the time to talk to me and find out my story. It's an odd little shop.