Dr. Burton Shaw Jr MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine San Antonio, TX

3.6

February 23rd, 2017
One of the worst Family "doctors" I've witnessed in 17 years
I can't believe the treatment I received from this doctor. I went in for one reason- was told he doesn't help with that. You're a supposedly a primary care doctor, I'm not stupid. This guy doesn't even know his medications. He confused Soma with Robaxin. HA! I felt like the doctor, not once did he make eye contact with me, he just interrupted and stared at his computer. He prescribed me a $399 inhaler that I don't even use and is not cover by insurance (which i told this guy) then tells me there is no generic asthma inhaler which is NOT true. Albuteral dummy. Guess he's just another one getting payed by the drug companies. This guy is a joke. If he treats other patients good like men then awesome, but for me as a woman- nope, he was one of the worse. I have chronic conditions- I've seen over 50 doctors in 15 years! I will make sure my that what happened to me and how he treated me will be well aware of. No one should be treated like this. He wouldn't refill a medication i was tampering off of and didn't write a refill for the other. Complete moron. I'm so relieved I found an amazing doctor and never went back to this guy. My new doctor was appalled by the treatment this guy gave me. My new doctor is amazing, caring, and so educated. Dr Shaw either quit or go back for training!

October 24th, 2013
Great doctor
Have seen Dr. Shaw over 25 years. I usually get same day appointments when I am feeling very sick. He always takes the time to listen and ask questions to determine diagnosis. They also have an x-ray lab in the office which is convenient. He is prompt to refer you to a specialist when it something he cannot take care of. Have always been very please with Dr. Shaw. His medical assistants are also great. However, his reception desk has had a reputation of being rude and unfriendly. Seems they have a couple of new people now which seem to be better. I think they are working on correcting the front desk problem.

May 31st, 2011
Very Happy Patient
I've recently started having issues with an aggressive staff on my skin, and Dr. Shaw knew EXACTLY what it was, and what to do... and also, his head nurse knew that the soap he suggested didn't quite smell very good, so she suggested the same type of soap just in a "scented body wash" form. I've always had a great experience at Dr. Shaw's office. His staff, front desk and nurses, have always been very polite, efficient, and sincerely concerned about mine and my husband's medical concerns and care. I've recommended him to everyone I know and love.

February 24th, 2010
Great Doctor
HAs been taking care of my family for 8 years and is the best

February 22nd, 2010
The Best Dr. in Texas
Dr.Shaw has been my Dr for many years. I just love him. Never have I gone to him and he did not know what the problem was. He is very knowledgeble. He has a great bed side manner. I have gotten my entire family. Mr brother was going to another Dr.,and he had issues with maintaining his Blood Pressure. I told him to go to Dr.Shaw and within a month my brothers hypertension was maintained. That was 3 years ago. I wish more Dr.'s were like Dr Shaw. If I have to go to a Specialist and they give me a daignosis, I firs have to talk to Dr Shaw because unless Dr Shaw agrees with the Dr, neither am I. He is just wonderful.

September 22nd, 2009
A long story short, the doctor is a nice guy, but his staff is concerned with the business end of the matter, and you don't get to speak with him unless you go through them, and they think nothing of grilling you about your personal medical situation at the front counter, in front of othere patients. I personally was very uncomfortable, and told them so, and was furhter grilled by an obnoxious woman--and I will never go back there. I cannot personally recommend this doctor, since I only saw him once, and then was treated so rudely on my second visit. Also, they do not cooperate with other doctors, other than those of their choice--they do lab-work there, but will not provide the results to another office.

March 27th, 2009
I am new patient. Have only experience with new patient appointment.

May 27th, 2008
Dedicated and Knowledgeable
Dr.Shaw is so well-read and up-to date with medicine and its advances. His ability to listen to his patients even if there is a waiting room full of patients waiting to see him, is commendable to say the least. If he feels he is not the best to handle to a medical situation he does not hesitate to refer one to another. He has brought one parent successfully out of a mild stroke with little residual impairment and has managed another parent with diabetes to a managed state. I cannot say enough about this doctor as a professional.