Neurological Surgeon
7777 Forest Ln
Ste A337
Dallas, TX 75230
972-566-5200
Locations and availability (2)

|  Arrogant - but rightfully so  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2014

Dr. Coimbra dramatically improved my life. I had a Chiari Malformation that was causing my life to be miserable. Before speaking with Dr. Coimbra I had spoken to two other Dallas area neurosurgeons, and neither of them were as knowledgeable as Dr. Coimbra. He explained what was happening, why and how he could help. He practices a decompression surgery that involves completely removing the cerebellar tonsils in the hope that no future surgeries are required. His approach is not without controversy, but I trusted him. I was right to. I had surgery, and have recovered remarkably. I was out of the hospital in four days, and back at work in less than a month. Another chiari patient that I know personally had the more traditional decompression with laminectomy elsewhere, and her recovery was much slower. I credit my quick recovery to the skill of my surgeon. Before surgery I spent hours researching my condition, and the surgery. One of the factors in recovery time is the incision. How big it is, how straight it is, and how well it is put back together. I have the smallest incision of any I have seen, and it was stapled together flawlessly. Dr. Coimbra is absolutely arrogant, he believes that he is so good he doesn't need to arrive to appointments on time, nor should he have to repeat himself. He's a neurosurgeon. I don't need him to hold my hand and be a gentle soul, I needed him to have the skill to do the operation properly, which he absolutely did. He was also attentive after surgery to ensure my recovery was going well, and was genuinely happy at my follow up to see how far I had progressed. He's a good man, confident in his abilities, but he is not afraid to tell you how good he is.

|  I owe my life to Dr. Coimbra  |  show details
Oct 15th, 2012

I literally owe my life to Dr. Coimbra. I had a very rare tumor in a very difficult part of my brain. Since my surgery, other experts for this type of tumor that were in charge of my radiation stated that Dr. Coimbra did THE BEST resection of this type of tumor that they had ever seen. Other surgeons typically take a different route to the tumor than the route Dr. Coimbra used. By doing so, other surgeons do not have enough "room" to remove all of the tumor. As a result, my recovery from my surgery was also very fast and complete. Dr. Coimbra put a lot of thought and consultation into the approach that he took to treating my brain tumor. I owe my life to him. How do you ever express full gratitude to a doctor as wonderful as he is. It is impossible to express in words.

Sep 19th, 2012

Dr. Coimbra is a highly experienced doctor. My surgeries have been very difficult but I have recovered quickly and no side effects.

|  Excellent-Caring Physician  |  show details
Sep 14th, 2012

Dr. Coimbra did my brain surgery in 2008. No words can express how excellent he was. At all times, he was professional; and at the same time, he comforted my family and me. My care afterwards was excellent. In fact, on one of my follow-up visits, he took me to a room full of other doctors and showed me x-rays and CTs. He pointed out the before and after pictures noting that the brain tumor was totally gone. He told me to have a great life with my family, especially my grandchildren.

|  Brain Tumor  |  show details
Sep 11th, 2012

Dr. Cuimbra saved my husbands life when other doctors wouldnt do the surgery. We are blessed to have had such care. He lined up all the follow up appointments for us; having a team of specialists all very talented. My husband had a 10cm meningioma. He is walking, talking and working..very happy!

|  Forever grateful!  |  show details
Jul 9th, 2012

About a year ago, my 84 year old mom was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and my brother searched for the best doctor to do the surgery. Dr Coimbra was the most highly recommended, and we now know why. Dr Coimbra listens, is very knowledgable, skillful and kind. What a great mix for a doctor. And his nurse Peggy was so helpful on setting up the appointments for the MRIs, the ENT doctor and the endocrinologist. Dr Bhatki did the ENT part of the surgery. The inpatient and outpatient postop visits were with him more than Dr Coimbra because of the nature of the surgery. He was great also.We thank God that we found Dr Coimbra!

|  The Greatest Brain Surgeon Ever!!!!  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2012

Dr. Coimbra is extremely knowledgeable in his field of basal neuro surgery. He has great confidence that carries over to the patient. We trusted Dr. Coimbra to operate on our son and would reccommend him to anyone that needs a surgeon. His office staff was very professional and very prompt. We were able to schedule an appointment within twenty four hours from our initial inquiry. This might not be the norm, but we really appreciated it at the time. Once we made the decision to proceed with the surgery, his staff made all of the arrangements in a timely manner. Our time in the hospital and then the post op follow up went so smoothly that we could hardly believe it.

|  First, Do No Harm...Thank You!  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2012

Dr. Coimbra and his entire staff were simply great. This includes the Anesthesiologist and the Neurologist that was in attendance. All were attentive and profession in every regard. I am particularly happy that the doctor considered my condition and did everything he could to correct the problem with minimal invasiveness. As soon as I came out of sedation, I noted an improvement in my condition. And since the process was kept only to what was absolutely necessary, my recovery has been quick. Many thank to all!

|  Life Changing Experience  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2012

When everyone else said no (maybe radiattion as a last resort), Dr Coimbra said yes. He said yes to performing surgery and remove a tumor that everyone else said was too complicated because of its location. He was very confident in his abilities. Great bed side manner that put me at ease. Exdplained everything thoroughly, and one thing I appreciated most was that he never rushed the consultation. He also explained things on my level. He said I did not win the most complicated award, but that I was a 6 out of 10 then described the intricasies of the procedure. Surgery itself went extremely well, and my family was very pleased with Dr Coimbra as well and thankful for keeping them informed during and after surgery. Also, another great plus is his staff-the receptionist and his nurse. Most of the time if I ever had to call, if his nurse wasn't directly available, they would let me hold to speak with her. There was never any long waiting periods for a returned phone call. My overall experience with Dr. Coimbra was phenome3nal! He truly saved my life. My 3 girls and I are eternally greatful. God has blessed him with such a great talent.

|  Frank and honest Surgeon  |  show details
May 17th, 2012

Dr Coimbra and his staff; especially Peggy were very good with caring for my needs and getting me scheduled for my pre-ops, surgery, and F/U. I am much better now and am looking forward to what life has to offer by way of my procedure. He was honest with me and told me what I needed to know. He gave me the information I asked for, even though not all, but I was pleased with my outcome so far. I will look forward to the day when I can do all I did before my surgery as I am still recuperating. My expereince was one of honesty and caring for my finances and my heatlh.

|  Great Experience and Problems Resolved  |  show details
May 14th, 2012

I have recently referred a friend of mine with a brain tumor to Dr Caetano Coimbra. I was surprised when he told me that there were some unflattering reviews of Dr Coimbra in the internet and I decided to check on it myself. I was appalled, to say the least, with some of the comments. I had a much different experience with Dr Coimbra. Two years ago I had a neck problem and two spine specialists told I that I needed fusion and plate and screws for two disks in my cervical spine. Although I did not have a complex brain tumor, Dr Coimbra spend time with me and at the end of the consultation told me that I only needed one level surgery and I did not need a fusion or metal instrumentation. I had the procedure and was discharged from the hospital in the same day, four hours after the surgery. My right arm and hand pain, numbness and weakness completely subsided after surgery. I lead quite an active life style and to date I have full mobility of my neck, no problems in my cervical spine and only an unnoticeable scar in the front of my neck. Later on I learned that Dr Coimbra is one of the few Doctors in the country that does this operation. I also learned, not from him, that a two level fusion with plate and screws pays three times more than the surgery he did to me. I felt compelled to tell in the internet my experience with Dr Coimbra.

|  Gift of Life  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2012

The expertise and precision and care of Dr. Caetano Coimbra and all of his staff was exceptional. He removed a mengianoma. I was told that it had to be removed or I would risk having a coma. He and his staff gave the best medical attention I have ever had in my 63 years. It is tremendously hard to know you may have to give up your life when you know there are so many ways to give back to others. I highly recommend Dr. Coimbra for any brain or skull surgery one might need.

|  EXCEPTIONAL  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2012

FIRST VISIT I WAS GIVEN THE NEWS OF A BRAIN TUMOR BY DR.COIMBRA AND HE WAS VERY FRANK AND HONEST. THE BEST RESULTS POSSIBLE BY A DOCTOR THAT I REALLY ADMIRE AND TRUST.

Apr 22nd, 2012

I traveled from Florida on advice of a friend to see Dr. Coimbra. Although I don't have a complicated tumor, he spent time with me, answered my questions and addressed all concerns. He was a second opinion after I had been told my disc herniation was minor and couldnt possibly be causing the intensity of pain I was experiencing. He also offered treatment alternatives based on my experiences, instead of the typical corticosteroid shot and PT. I will definitely recommend him and his extremely friendly and responsive office staff.

|  Compassionate Care  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2012

I had very difficult, over 14 hours, surgery to remove a very intangled brain tumor. It seemed that while I was in the hospital, every time I looked, Dr. Coimbra was there. He was very comforting and took the time to address any question. Overall, he made a very difficult experience much easier to handle.

|  Amazing Doctor  |  show details
Apr 4th, 2011

I saw Dr. Coimbra upon referral from a friend. I had called numerous neurosugeons in DFW and no one would agree to take me on as a patient, Dr. Coimbra did so without hesitation. His attitude has never been an issue with me. I have had 2 surgeries with him and if needed, will go back to him again. He has never been rude or seemed unreasonable to me. He always has come across as caring and compassionate where I was concerned.

|  Has operated on my sister and mother.  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2011

He is an extremely comptent surgeon, arguably he is the best surgeon in DFW. However he is arrogant, and not interested in dealing with second opinions. When I asked him what is the chance of success with my mother's surgery he stated, "In my experience 100%." I asked what he meant and he stated, "I have never lost a patient." So if you want to live through brain surgery, and you can deal with a jerk, go see Dr. Coimbra.

Oct 9th, 2009

I hear he is a great surgeon but his attitude was horrible. He seemed arrogant.