Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
2141 N Harbor Blvd
Ste 35000
Fullerton, CA 92835
714-626-8630
Locations and availability (2)

1.5

|  End Result Condition of Hand Surgery  |  show details
Feb 21st, 2012

Returned to the doctor on several occasions due to swelling of the right index finger joint and some tenderness. On each occasion, I was told that the swelling would subside and the finger joint would return to "normal" if I massaged the joint and soaked the hand in warm water, etc., The doctor does not promote physical therapy. I continued to do as directed, i.e., soak the hand in warm water and massage the joint. Eventually, due to my complaints of swelling an MRI was performed. The resultant diagnosis was that there was not evidence of any foreign body, etc., The swelling has not gone away and the finger does on occasion "lock up". There is also some discomfort (arthritis?)that continues to surface. I am extremely displeased with the outward appearance of the finger joint. Even though the surgery was performed in March of 2011, I plan on seeing my primary care physician to discuss any other alternatives on the visual appearance and on going issues.

|  Worst doctor I've ever seen  |  show details
Jun 10th, 2011

Not impressed with this Dr. After sitting in the waiting room until almost an hour after my appointment (and missing that hour of paid work), I actually saw the Dr. for less than 5 minutes. He hurried in, felt my hands as they flexed, checked my chart and noted that I have diabetes, gave me a shot in both hands, and left, telling me to make a follow-up appointment at the desk. I'm assuming it was a cortisone shot, but he was in and out so fast that I missed confirming that. Later that night, as my BG's were spiking, I had to go online to find out that cortisone is a steroid, and one of its common side effects is hyperglycemia. He did warn me about numbness for a while (lasted until I went to bed some 6 or 7 hours later), but I've a feeling that he just checks to make sure that he hasn't administered cortisone recently, gives it to most of his patients, delivers his little scripted patter, and runs out to collect his fee from the next sucker. I have an appointment for a follow-up in a month with his Physician's Assistant. If she recommends seeing the Dr. again, I'm definitely going to request a different ortho. St. Jude has many in that same office, and there's no reason to support this hack. Be warned. Carl Chen, M.D. isn't worth either your time or your money.

|  show details
May 19th, 2011

this md did hand surgery on me x2 and never ordered pt until ihad a contracture of hand! i would not let him remove a toenail again. he does not believe in pt/ot until you have a serious complication. then he blames it on you that you did not do exercises, although none were ever given. he is also stingy on pain med.