Dr. Carl Guterman MD Patient Reviews

• Ophthalmology Hackensack, NJ

January 10th, 2017
I highly recommend Dr. Carl Guterman. He is an excellent Opthamologist and gives my kids as much time as they need. We trust him and we are grateful to be under his outstanding care.

September 26th, 2016
A pediatric ophthalmologist you can trust...
Dr. Carl Guterman is an excellent pediatric ophthalmologist. He has taken care of all five of my children with great expertise and care. Two of my children have had complex eye issues and Dr. Guterman followed their care carefully and expertly. He is warm and kind and has a very helpful and friendly staff. He is one of those rare old-fashioned doctors that still gives his patients all the time that they need. I wish there were more pediatric specialists like Dr. Guterman...

September 1st, 2016
Dr. Guterman is the best pediatric ophthalmologist in the tristate area! He is not only an excellent doctor but also super nice! He literally saved my son's eyesight before it was irreversible. And he always has the time and patience for each patient. I highly recommend Dr. Guterman!

June 16th, 2016
Thank you Dr. Guterman!
Dr. Guterman has been tremendous with our 10 month old son. From his visits in hospital, to his calls to check in, to follow up visits in his office, he has been amazing in both his care for our son and his patience and time to explain everything to us. We cannot begin to describe how helpful it was to have a doctor who is so devoted and focused on making sure our son got better. Thank you Dr. Guterman!

April 15th, 2016
Knowledge/Compassionate times a million
My son was 6 days old and we panicked as we saw his eye swelling ...the circumcision was to be cancelled. In came Dr Carl Guterman. At 5 30 !!!!!in the morning to check on my son as he heard me panicking describing the situation. I asked where I could meet him with my infant. He said...are you kidding ? stay where you are ,I will meet you ! With his experience and expertise ,he calmed me down and more important , his knowledge made him undertake the correct procedure and it worked like a chime !!!!!! If I could give dr Guterman ten stars, I would. But it goes up to 5 !! Beyond grateful to have been recommended to him and eventhough we don t live close, it is always worth the drive for the BEST !!!!!!!Thank you !

April 4th, 2016
Amazing Doctor
Dr. Guterman is the most amazing Doctor I have ever been to. He is very dedicated to his patients and really cares about helping you get better. During my appointment, he explained things to me and gave me time to ask him questions and he wasn't in a rush. I am so grateful to him for helping me get better. Doctor Guterman is the most caring Doctor in the world. I highly recommend him!

March 31st, 2016
Thank you!
Dr. Carl Guterman is the best Pediatric Opthamologist! He was so patient with my kids and has friendly staff

March 23rd, 2016
I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Guterman. He is caring, thorough and very patient.

March 23rd, 2016
Dr Guterman is very professional , very patient with my children . Excellent services

March 2nd, 2016
Long overdue--terrible experience
I've always meant to take the time to write this review but figure it's better late than never. We brought our infant daughter to see Dr. Guterman about 13 years ago to diagnose her lack of ability to focus her eyes. He promptly gave us a diagnosis and a doom and gloom prognosis. He told us there was nothing that could be done for her, no to Early Intervention, no to glasses, she would likely never ride a bike or go to the movies, and that she'd probably need to attend a school for the blind. We left, shattered, and immediately came home to read more about her condition. What we found was that there were many successful and happy people living full lives with her condition--teachers, musicians, nurses, athletes and more. We made an appointment with our local children's hospital and there, she received a more accurate diagnosis and a completely different prognosis--yes to glasses to help keep her eyes straight, yes to Early Intervention. And this new doctor shared that one of her friends from medical school had this same condition and he now worked in pathology. We left furious with Dr. Guterman for making us believe that our daughter's life was doomed and years later, spoke to another family whose child had the same condition and was subjected to the same experience as we were. Now, our daughter is poised to enter high school and is at the top of her class (ahead of many of her normally sighted peers), is highly creative, has played sports, and not only loves going to the movies but creates them herself. If we had listened to Dr. Guterman back in the day, I shudder to think what her life, and our lives, could've become. Maybe he should have recognized that he didn't know enough about the condition to refer us elsewhere. Maybe he thought he knew best. Either way, I strongly urge anyone to seek a second opinion if this doctor's diagnosis or outlook seem wrong to you in any way. We couldn't be any happier with our decision to do just that.

July 12th, 2015
Heaven sent!
Dr. Guterman was heaven sent! I took my 6 yr old son to 3 other eye specialists each one telling me to go elsewhere, not explaining why or what they saw in my son. None of them could give me a diagnosis. Dr. Guterman spent over an hour with my son and spent time explaining his condition and came up with a solid course of action for us. He was thorough and patient and accomodating. I couldn't get over how kind and knowlegable he was. We are looking forward to seeing him again!

June 10th, 2015
I love this doctor. I travel one hour each way to see him for each of my children because he is extremely knowledgable, kind and an excellent diagnostician. He is also an outstanding surgeon whom I trust and highly recommend