Overall Review

3.3

August 2nd, 2016
Awful
I've never reviewed a doctor before, but Dr. Klutke was awful. When I saw him for very painful chronic prostatitis, he told me--while walking to the consult room--that there is nothing that anyone can do for the condition and that I'd have to live with it. He did do a urodynamic study, because that's his thing and he can bill for it. I, like others who reviewed here, was also told not to come back. Eventually I found another doctor in his practice who correctly diagnosed and treated chronic pelvic pain syndrome. People like this make all doctors look bad.

February 8th, 2016
Dr. Klutke is fantastic!
I am/was a frequent UTI sufferer. Dr. Klutke gave me a comprehensive exam and his diagnosis/tx was perfect. He also advocated taking the least invasive steps - he saved me from an unnecessary surgery as had been proposed by previous doctors I had seen.

January 17th, 2016
Great care
Dr. Klutke was highly recommended and lived up to his reputation! Best Urologist I have ever been taken care of by.

April 9th, 2015
I was a patient of Dr. Klutke's until recently. I was told he was the best! I let him preform two Interstem procedures on me starting in 2011. The 2nd one was in 2014. I recently found out that both operations were done incorrectly and now I am having to have his work corrected. He's the last doctor I would recommend to anyone.

February 19th, 2015
I went to Dr. Klutke for acute symptoms of IC/painful bladder syndrome. He was very helpful and made sure to answer all of my question. Excellent doctor!!!

September 21st, 2014
Don't bother with this doc if you have IC or PFD
I drove all the way to St Louis from mid-Missouri to see Dr. Carl Klutke because his website professes IC is one of his many specialties. I had been suffering with acute symptoms of IC/painful bladder syndrome for months on end! He had few words to say about my condition, did not ask questions. He offered no insight, and in my opinion, he was very dismissive of my symptoms and lacked compassion. When I asked him good questions about IC, his response was (verbatim) "What is IC? Who knows what IC is?" I was stunned. I fully understand that IC is a challenging "rule-out" diagnosis. But I do not get how a doctor comes to understand and then treat a problem when he asks no questions and does not properly assess a patient. I was to come back six months later. Why? I am not sure. When I called his NP a week or so after the appointment, tearful, saying my symptoms were unbearable, asking her if there was anything I could do or take for the symptoms, she said to get a UA to rule out a UTI. In fairness, this was an appropriate response, as people with these symptoms never can be sure if it is an IC flare or an actual UTI. So I got the UA, and she never called me with the results!!!! I consider that totally unacceptable. Instead, I got a letter in the mail three weeks later saying the UA was negative. When I had the NP on the phone three weeks prior, I had asked if there was anything I could take for the pain besides pyridium (as pyridium is not meant to take long-term), in the event the UA was negative, and she said, "no, just drink water." In my opinion, that was very insulting! I continued to suffer in a high flare state for several more months until I finally found a competent uro-gyn who thoroughly assessed and diagnosed me and is trying treatments and interventions that are working! I am finally not in tears every single day from this terrible disease of IC/painful bladder syndrome--whatever name you would like to assign this set of symptoms. I am thankful for all the good books out there that have educated me and for the good doctor I now have.

February 23rd, 2013
Courteous, Passionate, Understanding, and Hard- Working
I was referred to Dr. Klutke by colleges of mine and was I impressed! The staff at Barnes-Jewish West County was very kind and planning appointments were simple and fast. At each appointment I felt valued by Dr. Klutke who meaningfully recorded and reviewed my symptoms, and he made exams that further identified my interstitial cystitis. Let me just add, if you are unaware that this is one of the most medically challenging conditions to diagnose but was identified by one successful cystoscopy. After he gave me many options and input to the situation at hand. To finish, I successfully recovered, and am extremely happy with the way I was treated by Dr. Klutke and the Barnes Jewish West County Hospital staff.

February 1st, 2013
Several years ago I saw Dr. Klutke for interstital cystitis. After that time, I saw his NP on a regular basis (2-3 times/year). At my last visit I learned that she was leaving the practice for another position, but I should followup with the doctor. I had my follow-up appointment. Prior to this recent appointment, I had a great deal of respect for the doctor and referred others to him. I was greatly disappointed with the treatment I received from him this time. After telling him my recent symptoms, he said, "It's just something you'll have to live with." He also told me not to come back unless I had blood in my urine or other problems. I was shocked. His mannerisms were so abrupt and rude, not to mention degrading. His NP always took the time for exam, questions and tests. I was basically told not to come back. Shocking....he supposedly treats interstitial cystitis.

August 3rd, 2012
I highly recommend!!!

April 21st, 2011
I was self-referred, and while waiting in the hallway heard the doctor discussing my appt. with his medical staff regarding "why" I was there loud enough to be heard by other patients. Also did not care for the appearance of intern without permission in what essentially is a gynecological exam. Was uncomfortable having two male doctors AND nurse during sensitive exams and tests.

March 8th, 2011
Unsuccessful operation results
Went to Dr. Klutke with stress incontence and he said the TVT operation would be the cure. It did nothing for me, and the test results after the operation proved that the operation did not work. I felt that he was very cold toward me when the results proved that the operation was a failure, and I still had the exact same issue. He came up with a very quick answer to have more operations and if they didn't work, then he would reverse all of it. It was such a shock for me to hear this, that I said I would think about. His answer was that the next time he would see me was in surgery. To me this meant that he had nothing more to say except to perform more surgery. No other options were provided. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience. To this day I still have the same issue.