Dr. Carl Smith MD Patient Reviews

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

February 3rd, 2009
I saw Dr. Smith after I was incorrectly diagnosed as a "high risk" pregnancy due to asthma and a heart condition that had posed no risk even being unmedicated for 2 years. Dr. Smith was a specialist in pregnancies and my particular condition, though, so I didn't argue. When I mentioned my desire for a natural birth, he mentioned a study he did stating that I would certainly need an epidural to keep high blood pressure at bay with my condition. I came home, got online, and looked up the study. In the study, the women had symptoms more severe and recurrent than mine were at their worst point- almost 10 years prior! Needless to say, and epidural was not in my future. I could only been seen on Thursdays, when they had MFM appointments. However, it was also the only time they had GD appointments, meaning you had a long wait to get into a room and be seen. I'm talking there were days where I had waited 3 hours to be seen for 15 minutes!!! Very bad bedside manner, rushed through any concerns and always seemed to be trying to just be done with you. Didn't appreciate a patient trying to take a proactive approach to their care; wanted someone who just listened to him like he was God. I'll admit, he'd be who I wanted in an emergency...but ONLY in an emergency!!!! The midwife I saw the next pregnancy (NOT from the same hospital- don't want to get anyone in trouble!) said she'd heard the same thing from some other women who had seen him as their OB.