Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

The Absolute Worst Gyn in Birmingham show details The Absolute Worst Gyn in Birmingham
Jul 28th, 2016

I am a patient of another Henderson and Walton doctor but the day I had my IUD put in my doctor was not there so Dr. Swindle had to perform it. I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant so I came prepared for the worst.... or so I thought. My initial reaction of Dr. Swindle was that she was very nice. She let me know that she would keep me informed throughout the procedure so I would know what was happening. The next thing I heard was her say "dowel", and then I felt dowel! Absolutely the worst pain of my life, especially as a woman who had never had a child. I immediately started crying and she gave me a few minutes to breathe before she finished the procedure that she had told me NOTHING about as she said she would. After finishing she immediately left the room and I began having the worst cramps I had ever experienced. I had come prepared by taking Advil before my appointment but it had not made any difference and for 40 minutes, while sobbing uncontrollably and in terrible pain, I begged the nursing staff to give me something for pain, which eventually they did. I have to applaud the nursing staff for being very patient and kind. Not one time after my procedure or before I left the office did Dr. Swindle come back in to check on or speak with me even though she knew I was in bad shape after the procedure. Of course, many women have this done, but a little extra care and bedside manner can go a long way. In addition, I found out late when speaking to my aunt that Dr. Swindle had to deliver her daughter years ago and during the birth my aunt had a lot of issues and was bleeding out basically on the table while Dr. Swindle approached the situation like it was no big deal. I personally would not like to see Dr. Swindle if I was lying on the floor dying.

Outstanding! show details Outstanding!
Jul 17th, 2015

Dr Swindle and her staff are tops! They always take plenty of time with me. I feel very comfortable asking any questions and getting helpful answers. I would recommend them to anyone wanting a caring physician.

Never ever again!!!! show details Never ever again!!!!
Jun 10th, 2015

Told me I there was a good chance I had ovarian cancer(she pulled me aside in the lobby to tell me this not in the office!!!!) then told me I was infertile bc my period is irregular bc my birth control wore off!!! She is horrible mean rude and doesn't know what she is doing !!!! I don't even know how on earth she is still employed !!! Im 19 btw

AVOID show details AVOID
Aug 2nd, 2013

Was demeaning, not compassionate, not friendly

Please, read this before seeing this doctor show details Please, read this before seeing this doctor
Apr 16th, 2013

I was a patient of Dr. Swindle's when I became pregnant. As others have stated she rushes through your appointment and does not take the time to go over patient history. I told her the day we found out I was pregnant that I would more than likely need a C-section due to being a small body frame and none of the women in my family have delivered vaginally. Through the 9 months of pregnancy everything was normal, besides being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Three days before my due date I was induced. I never once saw Dr. Swindle the day I delivered my son, until the last five or ten minutes of delivery. I labored for 10 hours before being told to start pushing. My mother, who is a retired L&D nurse and the nurse helping me through delivery, immediately knew that my son was too large to be delivered vaginally. He was estimated to be around 7 pounds and Dr. Swindle assured me that he would be small enough to deliver. After pushing for 2 1/2 hours with an epidural that had worn off, Dr. Swindle made her debute. She came in and immediately sat down, she didn't discuss anything with me or the nurse that had been with me the entire time. She gave me a second degree epesiotomy and told me to push. It was quite obvious that after 2 1/2 hours that my son was not decending and I needed a C-section. Dr. Swindle didn't hesitate to tell me to continue to push until I ripped to a very severe fourth degree tear. My husband who was video taping the birth was told to turn off the camera after Dr. Swindle realized that my son had the cord wrapped around his neck multiple times. She still didn't hesitate to continue my pushing regardless of the cord or my severe blood loss from being anemic. My son weighed over 9 lbs and while he was born healthy, his life was put in jepeordy b/c Dr. Swindle refused to give me a c-section. After the delivery I was in excruciating pain and requested to see Dr. Swindle. She examined me and told me that it was evident in the delivery room that I could not handle pain and that I needed to suck it up and stop feeling sorry for myself because my bottom hurt. She then left the room and sent me home. She was never in the room while I labored. My epidural wore off and I was able to move my legs when I was told to start pushing. I never once screamed, or yelled from the pain. I internalized my pain and endured it for 2 1/2 hours. For her to tell me I was basically a wuss and to suck it up shows me that she has absolutely no care for her patients. And she risked the life of my son and I for no reason other than she didn't want to go in the OR on a holiday weekend. I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone.

Down to earth/smart and caring show details Down to earth/smart and caring
Sep 1st, 2011

I've been seeing Dr. Swindle (when available) for 20 years at HWWC. I've recommended her highly to other friends based on her easy, direct manner, her perceptiveness and interest in me as a whole person. I've had some procedures done and felt I was in competent, caring hands the whole time.

Apr 14th, 2011

I would NOT recommend Dr. Swindle to anyone. She did not know what she was doing at all. I felt rushed with her. I felt like she didn't want to give me the time of day. After feeling uncomfortable with my care, a friend recommended a doctor in Birmingham. After his examination of me, I found out that Dr. Swindle did not know the differece between a urethra and a vagina opening. If I would have stayed with her, I would have a colostomy bag, because she would have made a wrong incision going in blind. Yes, this experience with her was extremely painful, made me petrified to go to a gyn., but I am looking at this that God sent to me the right doctor in Birmingham. She is lacking much knowledge in her line of work. Yes, everyone has their bad experiences, but this was completely unacceptable. If she did not know how to handle my situation, she should have sent me to a specialist. Not take it upon herself and "try" to cure me. Thank God I am in the right hands now!!! My advice to you, whoever is reading this, find a different doctor that has the knowledge, experience, and compassion that a person needs when they go to a doctor.

Nov 15th, 2010

SHE IS THE BEST THAT I KNOW AND SHE CARES ABOUT HER PATIENTS

Mar 6th, 2009

Compassionate, down to earth physician who genuinely cares about her patients and their babies.