Obstetricians & Gynecologists

806 St Vincents Dr
Suite 500
Birmingham, AL 35205
205-930-1800
Locations and availability (4)

2.5

|  AVOID  |  show details
Aug 2nd, 2013

Was demeaning, not compassionate, not friendly

|  Please, read this before seeing this doctor  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2013

I was a patient of Dr. Swindle's when I became pregnant. As others have stated she rushes through your appointment and does not take the time to go over patient history. I told her the day we found out I was pregnant that I would more than likely need a C-section due to being a small body frame and none of the women in my family have delivered vaginally. Through the 9 months of pregnancy everything was normal, besides being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Three days before my due date I was induced. I never once saw Dr. Swindle the day I delivered my son, until the last five or ten minutes of delivery. I labored for 10 hours before being told to start pushing. My mother, who is a retired L&D nurse and the nurse helping me through delivery, immediately knew that my son was too large to be delivered vaginally. He was estimated to be around 7 pounds and Dr. Swindle assured me that he would be small enough to deliver. After pushing for 2 1/2 hours with an epidural that had worn off, Dr. Swindle made her debute. She came in and immediately sat down, she didn't discuss anything with me or the nurse that had been with me the entire time. She gave me a second degree epesiotomy and told me to push. It was quite obvious that after 2 1/2 hours that my son was not decending and I needed a C-section. Dr. Swindle didn't hesitate to tell me to continue to push until I ripped to a very severe fourth degree tear. My husband who was video taping the birth was told to turn off the camera after Dr. Swindle realized that my son had the cord wrapped around his neck multiple times. She still didn't hesitate to continue my pushing regardless of the cord or my severe blood loss from being anemic. My son weighed over 9 lbs and while he was born healthy, his life was put in jepeordy b/c Dr. Swindle refused to give me a c-section. After the delivery I was in excruciating pain and requested to see Dr. Swindle. She examined me and told me that it was evident in the delivery room that I could not handle pain and that I needed to suck it up and stop feeling sorry for myself because my bottom hurt. She then left the room and sent me home. She was never in the room while I labored. My epidural wore off and I was able to move my legs when I was told to start pushing. I never once screamed, or yelled from the pain. I internalized my pain and endured it for 2 1/2 hours. For her to tell me I was basically a wuss and to suck it up shows me that she has absolutely no care for her patients. And she risked the life of my son and I for no reason other than she didn't want to go in the OR on a holiday weekend. I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone.

|  do yourself a favor, find another doctor  |  show details
by New to Birmingham on Mar 13th, 2013

I moved to Birmingham this past year and had to find a new gynecologist. Dr. Swindle acted as if she has known me for years when we had only just met. She didn't bother to ask about my history. She was very rushed to get through my appointment. I told her I had a uterine fibroid and that it bothers me around the time of my period. Immediately after her extremely painful examination she announced I needed a hysterectomy and gave me a pamphlet extolling the wonderful things about hysterectomies. She also told me I need more vitamin D. No testing, no bloodwork, nada. She never asked what my diet is like, my exercise routine, nothing. I was in more pain for two days after her examination than what I normally feel from the pressure of the fibroid. I am seeking a second opinion because I don't trust anyone who automatically decides I need surgery without first reviewing any supporting tests. I would not recommend her.

Dec 28th, 2012

Spends 3-5 minutes with patients even when they have complications. Many rude and incompetent office staff. Shuffles patients to other doctors in practice. Seems unconcerned when a patient expresses concerns.

|  Down to earth/smart and caring  |  show details
Sep 1st, 2011

I've been seeing Dr. Swindle (when available) for 20 years at HWWC. I've recommended her highly to other friends based on her easy, direct manner, her perceptiveness and interest in me as a whole person. I've had some procedures done and felt I was in competent, caring hands the whole time.

Apr 14th, 2011

I would NOT recommend Dr. Swindle to anyone. She did not know what she was doing at all. I felt rushed with her. I felt like she didn't want to give me the time of day. After feeling uncomfortable with my care, a friend recommended a doctor in Birmingham. After his examination of me, I found out that Dr. Swindle did not know the differece between a urethra and a vagina opening. If I would have stayed with her, I would have a colostomy bag, because she would have made a wrong incision going in blind. Yes, this experience with her was extremely painful, made me petrified to go to a gyn., but I am looking at this that God sent to me the right doctor in Birmingham. She is lacking much knowledge in her line of work. Yes, everyone has their bad experiences, but this was completely unacceptable. If she did not know how to handle my situation, she should have sent me to a specialist. Not take it upon herself and "try" to cure me. Thank God I am in the right hands now!!! My advice to you, whoever is reading this, find a different doctor that has the knowledge, experience, and compassion that a person needs when they go to a doctor.

Nov 15th, 2010

SHE IS THE BEST THAT I KNOW AND SHE CARES ABOUT HER PATIENTS

Mar 6th, 2009

Compassionate, down to earth physician who genuinely cares about her patients and their babies.