Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones), Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Stephanie H on Jun 13th, 2016

I have been under the care of Dr. Wheeler for just over a year. Initially, I had the same feelings about her as some of the other reviewers: she was clearly smart and dedicated to her craft, but lacked warmth and compassion for her patients. My husband and I conceived in October; however, we found out it was an ectopic soon after. Ectopic pregnancies can be life threatening if allowed to grow too much, and Dr. Wheeler took the time to explain all of the risks and treatment protocols to us. Maybe it's just how we handle stressful situations or emergencies, but her direct and to the point manner was appreciated. She took a very conservative approach to treating the ectopic, carefully balancing my safety with mitigating loss of my reproductive system. Unfortunately the methotrexate didn't work and we had to proceed to laparoscopic surgery where I lost my tube. Dr. Wheeler was there with us every step of the way and made sure to check in to see how I was doing and communicated how stressed out and concerned she was about me during the process. I know it may seem like you're just another patient to her, but she really does care about her patients. I think she's just one of those stereotypical really brilliant scientists who has trouble sometimes connecting socially or emotionally with her patients. Or maybe it's a coping mechanism she's developed after years of working in such an emotionally charged field. Regardless, she's human, she has a heart, and she will be there for you when you need her.

Nov 24th, 2015

I saw Dr. Wheeler several years ago for infertility. At first she seemed professional, but interested in helping. As time went on, I felt less and less like I was a valued patient. I would walk out of appointments with her feeling like I was trying to communicate with a bored teenager. After she told me that I just made bad eggs, I stopped going. The surprising, happy ending for me was that 4 months later I conceived identical twins with no treatment. Looks like I had at least one good egg...

Feb 19th, 2015

I've been a patient of Dr. Wheeler's for one year. During that time, I found Dr. Wheeler to be somewhat difficult to connect with. I was never certain whether or not she was actually concerned with my personal issue. She spent very little time with my husband and I when we would have consultation visits and she rarely looked up from her computer to actually make eye contact with us. When I would ask her questions, she would giggle and make me feel like what I was asking was completely ridiculous. (Thank god for the nurses who meet with us afterwards- they are amazing.) Anytime I had an ultrasound, procedure, or meeting, she would bring in her residents without the consideration of asking me first. They would perform on me without my consent. When I was having a miscarriage and needed an MVA, I asked the nurse if the resident could stay out of the room (it was a very traumatic and personal moment and I wanted as few people in the room as possible). Dr. Wheeler stood at the door and tried to convince the nurse that the resident was "really nice" and that I should let her come in. I wish she had taken a minute to understand how difficult that moment was for my husband and I. She is sometimes missing the bedside manner and compassion that patients need at such a difficult time. I realize that part of the job of nurses is to make the phone calls to patients, but Dr. Wheeler has never once called me, even though I experienced 3 consecutive losses. I know other doctors who take the time to check in with their patients and it makes a world of difference knowing that they care enough to do so. As for the diagnosis, I never had one...I was labeled as having "unexplained infertility." I am ok with that, and I do believe that Dr. Wheeler gave my husband and I the appropriate tests that were needed. I am sure that Dr. Wheeler is quite knowledgable and she certainly has the experience. I have never doubted that. I was just never sure whether or not she cared enough to consider all possibilities for my individual case because she had never taken the time to get to know anything about us. On a positive note, she did offer to perform my second MVA the same day I had my viability ultrasound. She could have had me make an appointment for another day, but she offered to do it right then and there. That was very much appreciated as I just wanted it all to be over with. Based on my experience, I can't really say whether or not Dr. Wheeler is an excellent doctor. All I can say is that as a patient, it's a terrible feeling to have to guess whether or not your doctor cares about you.

No satisfied show details No satisfied
by M on Jan 25th, 2014

My husband and I found Dr. Wheeler to be very condescending. Any time we asked a question she appeared to us, to be annoyed and told us we could speak to the nurses if we wanted an answer. When we became pregnant (not due to any of actions of Dr. Wheeler). We were called and told we would be miscarrying and was told by her staff "Get ready for one humdinger of a period." No one ever gave us any condolences or empathy. The office never called us back to follow up after we miscarried. We have not heard from them again. My MD refereed me because she was under the impression that Dr. Wheeler is one of the top docs. I have to say I felt she had no bedside manner what so ever and she did not explain any procedures to our satisfaction.

35 year old mom show details 35 year old mom
Jun 17th, 2010

I am one of Dr. Wheeler's patients, and VERY satisfied. Some things of note: Easy to get first appointment (as well as subsequent appointments) Nurses / doctors respond to questions SAME DAY, and you can leave a message with the answering service and they will call you back Scheduling of appointments and schedule for taking meds is clearFinance department well organized, and deal with the insurance company on your behalf - you will know the cost for a cycle BEFORE you begin IVF lab technicians are excellent - they will explain in detail the status of embryo(s), answer all questions, and are very patient ALL staff is courteous and professional and VERY responsiveThere are at least 3 other doctors in the practice - they do rotate procedures, so not all of my procedures were done by Dr. Wheeler. However, all consultations and planning were done with Dr. Wheeler. I have found other doctors in the practice to also be professional, courteous, and very good at what they do.My first cycle was IVF - doctors and nurses were very attentive, calling me to check on me a few hours after my egg retrieval. I did suffer from OHSS, and Dr. Wheeler saw me every 1-2 days during that time, and the nurses followed up with phone calls. I gave birth to a healthy baby, who is now 2 years old.Due to my experience with OHSS, Dr. Wheeler recommended IVM in place of IVF for my next cycle - this was a much easier process, and now I am pregnant with my second child. I highly recommend this practice to anyone struggling to become pregnant. However, I caution any person seeking fertility treatment that the process is physically and emotionally difficult.

Dr.wheeler is an angel show details Dr.wheeler is an angel
by Milqueya on Jan 24th, 2009

after so many years of trying to conceive Dr.Wheeler helped usand she was so good and patient with us I thank GOD eveyday for our miracle and i prey for Dr.Wheeler every day of my life because i am eternally greatful for what she did for me and my husband.My son is now 3.5 years old and we are going back a sencond time to see if Dr.wheeler can help us again.She is the best she is a miracle maker.thank you Dr.wheeler and GOD bless you and your family.

Sep 19th, 2008

no action taken to a diagnosis of endometriosis