Neurological Surgeon, Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jan 29th, 2015

I appreciated Dr. Beck's care and skills

excellent doctor A show details excellent doctor A
by Tom Jones on Oct 28th, 2014

Dr Beck is very good. He performed a microdiscectomy on me. After seeing my referred MRI from my family doctor, My first visit and exam was all that he needed to see. I was relieved that he didn't want to prolong it with PT and drugs. After much research on the Internet, I had gut feeling that it was inevitable. Unfortunately for me I was injured in the workplace and after four months of fighting work comp and excruciating pain that was managed by him and my family practitioner I was picked up by my private insurance. His staff went to bat for me and did everything that they could to rectify the work comp issues. As soon as I was approved by insurance they got me in to see him and I was scheduled for surgery, he was very empathetic for my wait. The day of my surgery was my time to talk to hospital staff, I couldn't believe the utmost respect and confidence that every one of them had for him. That in itself was a very reassuring for me. I didn't get to see him after the surgery . He made it a point to go over details and aftercare with my wife and family. Which is far more important to me. For a 52 year old man who was living a life as a 85 year old for four months, I Couldn't hardly keep the tears back. I left the hospital with out any pain or numbness in my leg or side. I was walking upright with no limp, in better shape than when I went in. Two days later I have pain in the area of surgery, ( after all I did have a section of spine removed ) Witch was managed well by him and hospital staff. Dr Beck also treated me three years ago for a couple of fractured vertebrae after a week in the hospital I was prepared for spinal fusion three different times. After two more MRIS and some careful evaluation by him he was able to keep me from going through spinal fusion. He was in no way in a hury to perform surgery. The interesting thing was that his bill to me was just at 500$. Dr Beck was the attending neurosurgeon for my brother in law who spent nearly a week in a coma after a near death motorcycle wreck. After a year he is living a normal life. I have a friend that had to have brain surgery by him as well. She was very pleased by him. He has helped her through some very difficult times. Dr Beck is the only doctor I know that meets his patients in the waiting room and escorts them in. Dr Beck is the first doctor to personally return my calls and talk to me when I had questions about my pain and help me decide how treat it. Dr Beck is the only doctor I would trust with family and friends lives. Missoula and St pat's is very fortunate to have him here. My heart felt thanks to him and his team for giving me my life back. Tom

Cervical fusion & discectomy show details Cervical fusion & discectomy
by Renae Lattin on Aug 25th, 2014

Carter Beck is absolutely awesome! I suffered years of excruciating back pain due to herniated discs and a misaligned spine. For five years I'd taken quarterly epidural injections which not only weakened my immune system, they were hit and miss as far as pain relief and very short lived. When I went to Carter Beck in 2012 my quality of life wasn't good - everything hurt and I did nothing but work and sleep. He performed a fusion and discectomy on C3-C7-pretty big surgery. I awoke from surgery feeling pain-free, able to get out of bed on my own, and was released from the hospital less than 24-hrs of my admittance. In the beginning, despite Carter Beck's confidence in being able to relieve me of my pain, I was terrified to have the surgery because my spouse had had a similar (smaller scale) surgery (different Dr.) with poor results. My recovery was super quick and I'm so thankful to him for giving me back my life! Definitely my hero and I'd recommend him to anyone.

by Lori F. on Jul 21st, 2014

In 2009, I had disc replacement in my neck. Dr, Beck was very professional, patient and informative. I felt very comfortable with the advise he offered and after the surgery, had total relief of pain I had prior to the surgery. It has had long term success thus far. I have had plenty of opportunity to refer him to others and will continue to do so.

The best at what he does show details The best at what he does
by Shannon K Kent on Feb 20th, 2014

Dr Beck took the time to talk to my family and I about my condition. He answered all my questions took the fear out of having spinal surgery. I would suggest him to anyone in need of a doctor in his field.

by Denyse B. on Feb 14th, 2014

My experience with Dr. Beck was great. He was very precise in his diagnosis, not quick to jump to surgery, and gave realistic expectations as to treatments and options, outside of surgery. He was ready to help in any way he could, but suggested that I use surgery as a last resort, due to the risk. Very appreciated, in light of the seriousness of neck surgery. He was very understanding and compassionate- a really great guy!

back Surgert show details back Surgert
by Pam O. on Jan 27th, 2014

I was refered to Dr. Beck almost two years ago and am very thankful for that referral. Dr. Beck is very professional yet has a wonderful bedside manner. I have had back pain for years. He has performed a SI joint surgery, a sciatic nerve problem surgery, and a PLIF. Oh my goodness, the surgeries were successful. The last one was the deal maker. He has made my physical life an A . He is courteous, methodical, actually has a good sense of humor and caring. He demonstrates a willingness to help you have a pain free life. Dr.Beck explains things simply for anyone to understand and doesn't push surgery on you. But with his professional opinion he will be honest to tell you if you really need surgery or if you can live with your problem by another method. Highly recommend Dr. Carter Beck. He's the best out there.

excellent surgeon show details excellent surgeon
by Mike Blake on Jan 16th, 2014

Dr. Beck's neurosurgical expertise, straight forward honesty and gentle kindness gave me my life back.

by Roy Holmstrom on Jan 8th, 2014

He helped my back pain very much

Friendly, Patient, Competent, and Thoughtful show details Friendly, Patient, Competent, and Thoughtful
by Jon Santy on Nov 12th, 2013

He took the right amount of time to consider possibilities and alternatives. He never made assumptions. His office staff was also quite capable.

Dr. Beck is a life saver! show details Dr. Beck is a life saver!
by Kathy T. on Jul 10th, 2013

I had suffered with back problems for over 2 years - being treated at the pain center with no relief. Within 5 minutes of my first visit with Dr, Carter Beck, he had diagnosed my problem. This was confirmed by 100% pain relief from a diagnostic injection and indicated there was a surgical solution. Within days of our appointment I was able to have corrective back surgery. Not only is Dr. Carter Beck a wonderful diagnostician and surgeon, he is an awesome person. He was very understanding and extremely helpful and he has a wonderful sense of humor!

Excellent surgery with Dr. Beck show details Excellent surgery with Dr. Beck
by Susan on Jun 15th, 2013

My posterior interbody spinal fusion (L3/L4) with Dr. Beck on April 26, 2013 went extremely well. I left the hospital in one day and by the second day I was completely off prescription pain medication and only needed over-the-counter acetaminophen for a couple of days. My spine area never really hurt--just some minimal discomfort. The only real pain was in the leg that had been weakened by nerve compression prior to surgery, as it healed and gained strength. Immediately after surgery, my limp was gone! People who didn't know I had surgery commented on how well I was walking. I returned to work ten days after surgery. I had talked to four people who had spinal fusion surgery elsewhere prior to my surgery, and each told me that it would be six weeks before I could go back to work. That's also what I read online, especially for an older woman like me (63). At my six week post-op appointment this week, Dr. Beck told me I could do "anything that didn't hurt" with some cautions about specific things to be careful of. I have been testing this and nothing has hurt at all except sore muscles as I regain strength--no different than a good workout. I think the surgery went so well because Dr. Beck is a very skilled surgeon. I highly recommend him!

Powell show details Powell
by Powell on Jun 6th, 2013

Dr. Beck is a God send. I had been going to Dr. after Dr. with no improvements for 15 months after a fall. No one was able to help me, in fact I was getting worst and was being told this may be something I was going to have to live with. On the first appointment, Dr. Beck knew what was causing all the pain. He did an injection of my SI joint that within 3 days made a huge improvement. I had the surgery that He pioneered and it has been very helpful. Thank you Dr. Beck

RN show details RN
by Lisa Linnell on May 23rd, 2013

Dr. Beck is my hero. My spine was 50% out of alignment, so it seemed everything hurt--my lower back, mid back, shoulders, hips etc. Several other doctors wanted to do epidurals and other treatments. However, I had already done 5 years of physical therapy and personal trainers. Once I started having severe nerve pain, these other doctors still wanted to epidurals and "conservative" measures. I am healthy and having this structural deficit made no sense to me. Being in the medical profession, I spoke with many other health care professionals and Dr. Beck came highly recommended as a very skilled surgeon with a great track record. Dr. Beck did surgery (fusion L5-S1) and I have no more pain, I can stand up straight and know where my spine angles are. I can play golf, and return to work as a RN with no restrictions. I am sure surgery is not for everyone--recovery is long and one requires a lot of patience to let the area heal-- but in my case it was the absolute best option and Dr. Beck saw that and I have my life back. I am grateful, overjoyed and he is my hero. Thanks Dr. Beck. Oh, I almost forgot: The couple of times I was worried about something, Dr. Beck's PA called that day. That meant a lot too.

One of the Best show details One of the Best
by Jerry Falconburg on Apr 15th, 2013

This doctor was very nice meeting you in the waiting area and walking you to his office. After discussing the problem and talking about my options he answered all my questions.After a bilateral si joint fusion my post op pain was taken care of and on my follow-up appointment was told i could start walking to get back into life. i am 100% better off than i was the day i walked into his office. I would recommend him to anyone with total confidence. His office staff is the best. The doctors at Neurological Associates are Great as they would rather help you as see you living on pain meds.

Will not answer your application to become a patient show details Will not answer your application to become a patient
Jan 20th, 2013

I really cannot rate the doctor himself, because I never even got that far. I sent in all my medical records to them to be reviewed by a doctor, and they completely ignored me for weeks. They just kept my records, not telling me whether or not I was going to be allowed to enter their hallowed halls and be their patient. Pretty piss poor customer service. I called another doctor's office, and withing a day I had been reviewed and admitted to become their patient. Too bad for Montana Neurological Associates, because it is going to be a very expensive operation, one where they could make money.

excellant show details excellant
Oct 27th, 2012

I am confident about him,I recommend him to everyone I talk to.He is kind,calm and professional.I have had two procedures,both fusions.I will return to him again.

Oct 12th, 2011

I would recommend Dr. Beck. He was a great doctor who removed my pain with surgery, and very pleasant to work with explaining everything to me. There was no waiting, and all were efficient that assisted him. He was recommended to me by several people I knew and I would gladly recommend him to anyone that needs spinal surgery. Juanita Raunig

There is no other show details There is no other
Aug 18th, 2011

I am blessed to have been the patient of Dr. Carter Beck. I new from the first time I met him he was the doc for me. He was not only confident but also had humor and some bedside manner. It did not take many words to fully understand that I was in good hands. His presence and confidence is overwhelmingly peaceful and calming. I had many worries going into my surgery and he was able to squelch them all. He is the best in his class and thought I do not recommend the surgery unless needed I do recommend him. There is no question in my mind that he is the best. He may be a little veg, but I contribute that to his knowledge and confidence. Also he relies on his support staff to fill in the blanks. His team approach is top notch. His support staff is also amazing and I new going in I was in great hands. Go see Dr Carter Beck with any back related problems. He is the best. I can't rembeer when a time when I felt better and I owe it to this doc.

Surgery with great results! show details Surgery with great results!
Jul 31st, 2011

Dr.Carter Beck did my spinal fusion in May 2011. Immediately after waking up from surgery, I was free of pain. For months I had suffered severe pain in my hips and legs. After surgery, I never had muscle spasms or problems healing. I am thankful Dr. Beck accepted me as a surgical candidate as I was a very high risk patient. I would recommend Dr. Beck to anyone requiring back surgery. Our family thinks he is a great surgeon!L. NothnagelFlorence, MT

by Peggy Orr on Aug 11th, 2010

Dr.Beck operated on my brain tumors 3 months ago. I believe he is an extremely intelligent and gifted surgeon. He is genuinely interested in his patients wellbeing and recovery. Contrary to popular opinion about neurosurgeons, he does have a sense of humor, which I found delightful. I would highly recommend Dr.Beck.

Dr. Beck was my Dr. from my discectomy show details Dr. Beck was my Dr. from my discectomy
by Sheryl H. on Dec 21st, 2009

Dr. Beck was wonderful !! He studied my MRI and knew exactly what to do. I have been pain free since. He was quick to take care of the problem instead of offering endless amounts of physical theropies to releve my pain. I had my discectomy in April of 2009 and have not had back pain since. He is VERY straight forward. He does not mince words. He is blunt and to the point of what needs to be done and does it. He saw me in the ER on Saturday and did my surgery the next day, a Sunday!! He is just the BEST!! Sheryl H.

Probably an excellent surgeon, but not a good doctor show details Probably an excellent surgeon, but not a good doctor
Sep 28th, 2009

This surgeon is interested only in the surgery itself, not in the preparation nor the recovery from it. Despite the invasiveness of the sort of surgery he does, he does not give patients adequate information about or assistance in the recovery process. His office is disorganized, losing messages and failing to respond to phone calls in a timely manner (e.g., the same day for a call placed early in the morning). He gives no advice on how to handle things like postoperative muscle spasms, as well as contradictory information: When asked about limitations he says, no limitations (this following spinal surgery), when asked about physical therapy, he says no physical therapy for six weeks. How is that not a limitation? What other limitations are we not being told about? When can we return to work? Whenever. When your postoperative meds run out, tough luck. So here you are, no P.T., no meds, and lots of pain. What are you supposed to do? Not his problem.I've met many surgeons like this cowboy, but I've also met surgeons who either take time to deal with the post-op bit, or will give adequate referrals to people who can do what they are unable to do. It should be a standard part of his practice.It's this type of arrogance that leads people to bring medical malpractice claims.