Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
wish i had known before show details wish i had known before
May 24th, 2016

I do not think he is a bad doctor. but he needs to learn how to speak decently to pregnant women, for sure. Maggie in the office is great. the only person I'll miss from there. Its a clean office. sometimes gets packed though, and appts run over. He spends about 5 seconds with you on a regular visit. which usually consists of " heartbeat sounds good, see you in X weeks" Do yourself a favor and find out his "Guidelines" before you ask any questions, otherwise hes extremely rude. He induces at 39 weeks, no matter what. cant do a Vbac with him, or even Try for labor to start on your own. If baby isnt here by 39, hes inducing. He has his reasons, and i get that. but i dont agree with how concrete his rules are. women are different. Could we wait a few days? is it not up for discussion at all? He wouldn't hear anything I had to say. Im not ok with that and i wish i had known way before 28 weeks so i could have a chance to find someone else. Also you may need to ASK if your pregnancy is high risk, since he wont actually tell you. Apparently my previous pregnancy was high risk. but nobody told me that...? so that was his justification for induction last time. Just learning new things about him that i didnt know before. Like i said, i dont think hes a bad doctor, He is competent. but he doent listen, there is no room for communication at all. and i cant feel safe with my doctor if theres no respect of my concerns and wishes.

awful show details awful
by ana on Apr 4th, 2016

I had agreed to a csection because I thought that was my only option. When I found a clinic that wanted to review my records to see if I was a good candidate for vbac I signed a release. Someone from Dr. Shakespeare's office called me the next day and threatened to drop me as a patient if they sent the records to the clinic because they were "assuming" I wanted to transfer care. Although I told them several times I wasn't. I explained I didn't have another doctor and I would be left without prenatal care if they did that. I asked if "I" could pick them up myself and they said NO because they knew my intentions and if I wanted MY records I needed to give an explanation to Dr. Shakespeare why I wanted them. Today I saw him and he was upset I didn't tell what I was doing before I signed the release. He started raising his voice and told me he wasn't going to waste his time on someone "looking around". Although I tried to explain this was just a second opinion so I can make an informed decision. He also kept saying I had agreed to the csection. I also told him I've worked with doctors before and I never question their reason why they want their records and he said it was ridiculous. His practice and policies are ridiculous.. I have NO need to explain why I want MY records and I am entitled to make an informed decision on something as big as a major surgery. I am no longer his patient because I dared look into my options.

Great Doctor! show details Great Doctor!
Sep 27th, 2015

Dr. Shakespeare is fantastic at what he does.If you want a dr who is truthful and straight forward then this is your guy. He doesn't beat around the bush or sugar coat it. You can tell that he has a lot of knowledge and really knows his stuff. His staff has always been friendly and very fast with getting patients in rooms. They have a lab technician on site so you don't have to make an appt or go somewhere else for blood work. Also, the ultrasound is done in the office, which I like because I hate have to make additional appts at other sites. I did put 1 star on Follows Up After Visit because I've never received a call. However, he does ask at the next about about what has been going on since the previous visit and how am I feeling. Everyone will have a difference experience and it's all based on personal preference.

Worst ob/gyn show details Worst ob/gyn
by BA on Sep 22nd, 2015

He was very rude I try not to tell him my problems he didnot pay any attention . I wa cramping n didnot feel baby so I went to hospital he said I m. Most worst patient n exhausting him

Why me??? show details Why me???
by Shelby's Mommy... on Jan 23rd, 2015

In 2000, I was pregnant with my 4th baby, doctor's visits were routine... I seen Dr. Shakespeare at every appointment... He always explained everything to me... There were no complications during the pregnancy... Until the day I went into labor, (December 14, 2000 @ 38 weeks), Dr. Shakespeare was "on vacation" so his partner (other doctor) was there to deliver my baby... Had to have an emergency c-section that was unsuccessful because my daughter was stillborn... Worst most terrifying experience of my life... Next day, Shakespeare and the other doctor comes to my room to talk with me and the point they kept reiterating was that I "could try to have another baby any time I wanted to... Some times it helps grieving parents to get pregnant again, right away.... Blah, blah, blah..." I was appalled and stunned... Worst piece of advice ever...

Extremely Rude show details Extremely Rude
by Bethanie on Aug 4th, 2014

Just hearing or seeing the name Dr. Shakespeare makes me cringe. While in labor with my daughter in 2002 I was fully dilated and ready to push. I had to wait at least ten minutes for him to arrive which was extremely painful. The nurses pushed my legs together several times because my daughter was literally delivering herself. Shakespeare finally arrives and without apology or concern delivers my daughter. He had an attitude the whole time as if I were waisting his time. Remind me again why a person would take up a profession that is all about helping and saving people but yet treat their patients as if they are an annoyance and dirt on the bottom of their shoes? Answer: Money

Bad experience show details Bad experience
Dec 4th, 2013

I had prenatal care with Dr. Shakespeare's partner. She was fine. Of course, on the day I delivered, Dr. Shakespeare was on call. I asked for an epidural and was never given one. The nurse delivered my baby after I had pushed for 3 hours. Dr. Shakespeare never came in to check on my progress or introduce himself. He finally arrived after my baby was born to sew up all the tears I got. It was a nightmare.

Oct 16th, 2012

Dr. Shakespeare treated me excellent. I will always recommend him. He saved my life.

Worst Dr visit !!! show details Worst Dr visit !!!
Apr 5th, 2012

I was seen here in Bakersfield at The womans care center. I would definitely never step foot here ever again because of how unprofessional Dr. Shakespeare and his assistant were.The only staff member that actually felt the need to address herself was the Nurse Practitioner, who was warm and extremely caring:), but on the other hand the Dr. and his assistant were as cold as ice. I wasn't asked if i needed a pap but was ordered to have one regardless if my 4yr old daughter was present, which she was and mortified, and when i finally "meet" Dr.Shakespeare it was seconds before he shoved the intraVaginal ultrasound in me!!!! Yes! I felt VIOLATED and YES! i am appalled! I was not allowed to ask questions to what he labeled a "complication" case and felt that if he was as cold as he was the first meeting how was our meeting going to be in Labor!?! I am scheduling my following appointments In Fresno where my daughter was born. I might have to travel a long way to be seen but at the least I WILL BE "SEEN" , heard, wow and even cared for...This is my experience...This is the first time ive ever given my direct raw experience and if it will help one mother find the right dr... It will not be in vain.

Dr Shakespeare is Awesome! show details Dr Shakespeare is Awesome!
Jan 18th, 2012

Ive been to him with four pregnancys im abut to deliver baby number four and he has been wonderful. I have some medical issues that he stays on top of.

Jan 3rd, 2012

Very condescending attitude. When I asked about vbac and other options he babbled about one risk and dismissed any questions or concerns I had. I brought it up several times and yet he insists that I agreed to a repeat c-section. Finally at close to the end of my pregnancy when I brought it up again he got very irate and started referring to himself in the third person and how much better he is than other obs. He then proceeded to act as though this was something new I brought up to him and if I elect for vbac he can no longer see me and I am on my own.

Dec 16th, 2011

Dr. Shakespeare is not the most kind and gentle doctor with an amazing bedside manner, but when you are looking at delivering a child that may have complications, that is not what you need. Dr. Shakespeare is a wise doctor that does not sugarcoat the situation, but instead lets you know whats happening, offers you options and gives you advice based on his experience. This is why he is, in my opinion, a good doctor.

Aug 17th, 2011

Worst Dr ever.. He's rude, uncaring, and totally dismissive of anything you have to say. He talks over you, doesn't care about your opinions or wants and is very disrespectful.

Unsupportive show details Unsupportive
Mar 5th, 2010

Don't go to this doctor if you want a VBAC. He doesn't support patient rights.

Insensitive, unprofessional jerk! show details Insensitive, unprofessional jerk!
Mar 5th, 2010

I hesistate to use the word doctor, because that would show some form of respect, which neither I nor my husband received. Not only did Mr. Shakespeare refuse to listen to my concerns or respect my decisions to have a VBAC, but he acted very unproffesional in the way he talked to us. He made it a point that he is Head of Obstetrics and he has 20 some years of experience and that we have none. Even though I had researched VBACs vs. c-sections for over a month, he told me that all my research was invalid. I obtained my data from The ACOG itself for much of my data. He would not let me even get a word in while he sat there and told us how great he was and that our medical knowledge was nowhere close to his. He tried to put words into my mouth and claimed that I had lied to him about my intentions to have a VBAC. He dumped me as a patient because of my wish to have a VBAC and he violated the law by not recommending me to another provider. This goes against the ACOG policies as well. We were also told beforehand that insurance isn't a "guarantee" and that they would need to pay $2400 up front before any more visits would be scheduled. I contacted my insurance provider to inquire about this. They said that I was not to pay a single dime up front and that they were going to investigate. USE THIS PROVIDER AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't let his scare tactics work on you. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to not have a c-section. A forced c-section is BATTERY!!!

Couldn't ask for a better Doctor. show details Couldn't ask for a better Doctor.
by Jessica Cadena on Jul 21st, 2008

Dr. Shakespeare was my Dr. for both of my pregnancies. I LOVE him! He's very professional and very caring. He knows how to make an uncomfortable situation easier. Very calming in an emergency. It's a little bit of a wait to make an appointment, but in my opinion, it's worth the wait.