Obstetricians & Gynecologists

5055 California Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93309
661-633-2229
Locations and availability (4)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Extremely Rude  |  show details
by Bethanie on Aug 4th, 2014

Just hearing or seeing the name Dr. Shakespeare makes me cringe. While in labor with my daughter in 2002 I was fully dilated and ready to push. I had to wait at least ten minutes for him to arrive which was extremely painful. The nurses pushed my legs together several times because my daughter was literally delivering herself. Shakespeare finally arrives and without apology or concern delivers my daughter. He had an attitude the whole time as if I were waisting his time. Remind me again why a person would take up a profession that is all about helping and saving people but yet treat their patients as if they are an annoyance and dirt on the bottom of their shoes? Answer: Money

|  Bad experience  |  show details
Dec 4th, 2013

I had prenatal care with Dr. Shakespeare's partner. She was fine. Of course, on the day I delivered, Dr. Shakespeare was on call. I asked for an epidural and was never given one. The nurse delivered my baby after I had pushed for 3 hours. Dr. Shakespeare never came in to check on my progress or introduce himself. He finally arrived after my baby was born to sew up all the tears I got. It was a nightmare.

Oct 16th, 2012

Dr. Shakespeare treated me excellent. I will always recommend him. He saved my life.

|  Worst Dr visit !!!  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

I was seen here in Bakersfield at The womans care center. I would definitely never step foot here ever again because of how unprofessional Dr. Shakespeare and his assistant were.The only staff member that actually felt the need to address herself was the Nurse Practitioner, who was warm and extremely caring:), but on the other hand the Dr. and his assistant were as cold as ice. I wasn't asked if i needed a pap but was ordered to have one regardless if my 4yr old daughter was present, which she was and mortified, and when i finally "meet" Dr.Shakespeare it was seconds before he shoved the intraVaginal ultrasound in me!!!! Yes! I felt VIOLATED and YES! i am appalled! I was not allowed to ask questions to what he labeled a "complication" case and felt that if he was as cold as he was the first meeting how was our meeting going to be in Labor!?! I am scheduling my following appointments In Fresno where my daughter was born. I might have to travel a long way to be seen but at the least I WILL BE "SEEN" , heard, wow and even cared for...This is my experience...This is the first time ive ever given my direct raw experience and if it will help one mother find the right dr... It will not be in vain.

|  Dr Shakespeare is Awesome!  |  show details
Jan 18th, 2012

Ive been to him with four pregnancys im abut to deliver baby number four and he has been wonderful. I have some medical issues that he stays on top of.

Jan 3rd, 2012

Very condescending attitude. When I asked about vbac and other options he babbled about one risk and dismissed any questions or concerns I had. I brought it up several times and yet he insists that I agreed to a repeat c-section. Finally at close to the end of my pregnancy when I brought it up again he got very irate and started referring to himself in the third person and how much better he is than other obs. He then proceeded to act as though this was something new I brought up to him and if I elect for vbac he can no longer see me and I am on my own.

Dec 16th, 2011

Dr. Shakespeare is not the most kind and gentle doctor with an amazing bedside manner, but when you are looking at delivering a child that may have complications, that is not what you need. Dr. Shakespeare is a wise doctor that does not sugarcoat the situation, but instead lets you know whats happening, offers you options and gives you advice based on his experience. This is why he is, in my opinion, a good doctor.

Aug 17th, 2011

Worst Dr ever.. He's rude, uncaring, and totally dismissive of anything you have to say. He talks over you, doesn't care about your opinions or wants and is very disrespectful.

|  Unsupportive  |  show details
Mar 5th, 2010

Don't go to this doctor if you want a VBAC. He doesn't support patient rights.

|  Insensitive, unprofessional jerk!  |  show details
Mar 5th, 2010

I hesistate to use the word doctor, because that would show some form of respect, which neither I nor my husband received. Not only did Mr. Shakespeare refuse to listen to my concerns or respect my decisions to have a VBAC, but he acted very unproffesional in the way he talked to us. He made it a point that he is Head of Obstetrics and he has 20 some years of experience and that we have none. Even though I had researched VBACs vs. c-sections for over a month, he told me that all my research was invalid. I obtained my data from The ACOG itself for much of my data. He would not let me even get a word in while he sat there and told us how great he was and that our medical knowledge was nowhere close to his. He tried to put words into my mouth and claimed that I had lied to him about my intentions to have a VBAC. He dumped me as a patient because of my wish to have a VBAC and he violated the law by not recommending me to another provider. This goes against the ACOG policies as well. We were also told beforehand that insurance isn't a "guarantee" and that they would need to pay $2400 up front before any more visits would be scheduled. I contacted my insurance provider to inquire about this. They said that I was not to pay a single dime up front and that they were going to investigate. USE THIS PROVIDER AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't let his scare tactics work on you. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to not have a c-section. A forced c-section is BATTERY!!!

|  Couldn't ask for a better Doctor.  |  show details
by Jessica Cadena on Jul 21st, 2008

Dr. Shakespeare was my Dr. for both of my pregnancies. I LOVE him! He's very professional and very caring. He knows how to make an uncomfortable situation easier. Very calming in an emergency. It's a little bit of a wait to make an appointment, but in my opinion, it's worth the wait.