Dr. Catherine Mazzola Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Catherine Mazzola?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

June 15th, 2016

Dr. Mazzola is a great surgeon. She takes her time and explains to the parents each diagnosis that is present in their child.

September 5th, 2014

Amazing! True miracle Worker!

Our Daughter fell and suffered forma bilateral skull fracture at the age of two. Dr. Mazzola and her staff gave us so much comfort and ease of mind during her treatment and healing period. We would recommend her to any one needing a pediatric neurologist.

February 7th, 2012

Dr. Mazzola was very patient while discribing our 10 month old son's issues. It turned out that he would not need surgery after we were told his head was mishapen by our pediatrician.She calmed us down and refered us to a man who molded a helmet to help re-shape our son's head. She was very courteous and patient in answering all of our questions and concerns. Thanks, Dr. Mazzola

February 4th, 2012

Dr. Mazzola spoke to us at our level and really went out iof her way to provide thorough and compassionate care. Her office staff was excellent AND the office was very clean and nicely decorated. We have referred lots of friends to her and they were happy too.

July 22nd, 2011

Overall I must say that my visit over at Dr. Mazzola's Morristown Office was good. The whole staff was very kind and helpful. I came with many questions and all of them were answered either by Dr. Mazzola herself or her nurse, and on top of that thay gave me plenty of information about my condition so that I would surely be able to understand. Dr. Mazzola has great bedside manner, and she is truly an expert in her field!

May 5th, 2011

Doesn't accept insurance

If you do any business with these people and they offer to make exceptions to thier policies (get it in writing). They take advantage of parents of handicapped children and they play hardball when you can't pay (they use a lawyers office as a colletion agent) My son has many doctors and I have never thought about sueing a doctor but this is one that I'd sue in a heartbeat.

January 11th, 2011

We were refered to Dr. Mazzola by our pediatrician when our newborn was born with a birthmark on his spine. The concern at the time was a tethered spinal cord. She ordered an ultrasound of the spinal cord and we followed up with her. The birthmark was not attached to the spinal cord so it was not an issue. When our son was 9 months old we were refered back to Dr. Mazzola because our son's had on/off episodes of a head tilt which started when he was about 5 months old. She quickly addressed the head tilt and ordered physical therapy to help. During this same visit she ordered an MRI of his spine because of the birthmark and its relation to his urinary reflux. When I questioned Dr. Mazzola as to why this birthmark was all of a sudden an issue again almost 9 months later after it was cleared, she became very defensive, started to call me mam and then only directed her conversation toward my husband. I felt belittled and as if my concerns didn't matter because what did I know. As we thought about it and did research on the two things being related to a tethered spinal cord which she brought up again as a concern, we decided that before we put our son through an MRI which would involve him going under for 2 hours to complete, we would go for a second opinion. We tried to get an appointment with Dr. Abba Cargan in Mountainside who was recommended to me by a colleague. Unfortunately, he was booked out a year in advance. Luckily a few days later, they had a cancellation and we took it.Long story short, Dr. Cargan spent an hour with us, reviewed all our son's ultrasound films, examined him, pinpointed specific things out to us and named them accurately. His final diagnosis, our son's spine was perfect there was no indication of anything to be concerned about because the location of the birthmark was not even in the area that would indicate a tethered spinal cord and his head tilt too was a non-issue as well which did not need physical therapy. Dr. Mazzola needs to be more accurate with her diagnoses before she orders invasive procedures that would involve a 10 month old being put under for two hours just to be "100% sure" as she said for something that wasn't even in the accurate location to support her diagnosis. I urge all parents who have received a diagnosis from her to seek a second opinion before putting their child through procedures that even though as she said "are so unlikely to have any negative side effects" and as she said "if it were my son I would do it" and as she said "children are put under all the time." I have never felt so uncomfortable with a doctor's opinion in my life then I did with Dr. Mazzola's. It's unfortunate that there are doctors out there who feel so nonchalant about putting children through invasive tests without being accurate in their assessments.

Doctor's Response

Wow! I am so sorry that Mrs. Puco had that impression. Usually, lumbar spine birth marks have little clinical significance...in other words, the children with dimples, or other spinal birthmarks, do not need a MRI. An ultrasound of the spine in infants usually tells us phsyicians what we need to see. But, when a baby develops a second problem (a head tilt, a leg turning inwards, a weak leg or a foot drag) THEN we need to make sure that child has no "spinal cord tethering" or OTHER lesion. I think that it is hard as a physician and as a mother, to know which parents want to know all the details, or when some parents don't want to know all the details, about why we need to order a MRI. We usually try to AVOID doing an MRI especially for young babies, even though there is NO RADIATION, the MRI in an infant or young child does require sedation. I would recommend a MRI for children with spinal birthmarks PLUS a new neurological or developmental finding just because there are some things, like spinal cord lesions, tumors, tethering, etc that could be found and treated to prevent further disability. I would estimate that with a definite birthmark, and a new or progressive deficit, about 25 - 50 % of children have a finding or a diagnosis made based on that MRI. While we do NOT recommend a MRI for ALL children, certainly if a child is developing a new problem, and we want to rule out a tumor or other problem, then I do believe that I would recommend a MRI for all such children. The MRI of the spine usually takes about 30 - 60 minutes. But if a head / brain MRI needs to be done, Mrs.Puco is correct, that could add an extra 30 - 60 minutes. The pediatric anesthesiologists that are at the hospitals in Bergen and Morris counties, and I am sure throughout the state, are excellent. I would trust them with my children, and with 5 of my own, YES, I have had to send some to the ER after an occasional fall etc. I apologize to Mrs. Puco and I am glad her son is fine, but I needed to explain why I would make the same recommendations again. It is my job to educate parents. If a parent does not want to do a MRI and wants just try PT to see if that helps, that is fine. BUT I would have felt so horribly if there was a tumor, or spinal cord problem, that was missed because I did NOT order or ask for a MRI.

SHOWttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr

November 27th, 2008

A True Professional

Dr. Mazzola peformed spinal cord surgery on our 3 month old. We interviewed several doctors at excellent facilities but we decided on Dr. Mazzola. She is a true professional, is extremely caring and would higly recommend her. Our daughter is now 2 years old and doing wonderful and we will be patients of Dr. Mazzola for many years and look forward to our visits with her. If you put your child in her hands you will feel the comfort that is so important to a parent during such a difficult time.

July 13th, 2017