Overall Review

May 28th, 2015
I love Dr. Groves, he is knowledgable and caring, I would recommend him to anyone.

April 25th, 2014
Best GYN ever
I came to DR Groves with serious painful periods. He gave me several options and I ultimately decided on a hysterectomy. I had the surgery yesterday and he was awesome. Although I have been in some pain that is to be expected. And the nurses here at Sentara Leigh are so great!!!! They have made me comfortable. What a great team.

November 9th, 2012
I went to this doctor after having a lot of issues with ovarian cysts. I also had a history of painful pelvic exams (mainly because doctors before chose to use a speculum that was too large for me). Dr. Groves was sensitive to my situation and he did not hurt me. He chose the proper sized speculum for a virgin and was very caring and gentle. I'd recommend him to anyone.

August 30th, 2012
Dr. Groves is an AWESOME physician!!!
It's never an easy decision to have surgery. But then a transvaginal ultrasound revealed I had an 8-9 cm pedunculated subserosal fibroid on the fundus of my uterus & I knew something had to be done. My OBGYN recommended a myomectomy & sent me to meet with Dr. Groves that same week. We discussed my options & he advised me of the da Vinci procedure. Dr. Groves assured me of his competence in removal of fibroids via this method & his confidence in its ability to preserve fertility, which is extremely important to me because Im 29 & looking to start a family soon. We scheduled a laparoscopic myomectomy; however, my partner & I felt it wise to get a second opinion. That doctor also agreed the fibroid should be removed so I continued my research into the da Vinci procedure & myomectomies via the internet as I awaited my surgery. My pre-op visit was mainly a Q&A session with Dr. Groves, urine test & blood draw to make sure I was healthy. Everything came back normal & I worried myself to death in the following 4 weeks. The day before surgery, I did a light prep with Miralax instead of their standard bowel prep because I have ulcerative colitis & did not want to induce a flare but also wanted to comply with all requirements to reduce infection risk. On the day of surgery, my mother & I arrived at the hospital at 6:30AM. I was admitted & we were escorted to outpatient surgery. A nurse called me back, took my weight & provided me with a cup for a urine sample to do a pregnancy test, a hospital gown & compression stockings, then started my IV. My mother was brought back into the room and after a short period of time, Dr. Groves came in along with the Anesthesiologist. Dr. Groves made me feel calm about the procedure & the entire medical team was very confident. About 15 minutes after their departure, a CRNA & surgical assistant came in, started antibiotics and a sedative in my IV, and wheeled me off to the OR. I barely remember anything after coming into that room except there were a lot of people & I was assisted in moving from my bed to another table. The general anesthesia I was given was Propofol & I was in surgery for about 1.5 hours. I woke up in the post op area with 4 incisions (2 on the right, 1 navel & 1 larger exit on the left). As I regained full consciousness, a nurse administered Morphine by IV & graduated me from ice chips to water & saltines to induce belly sounds. I was there for a few hours before my discharge nurse took me to my post OP room. I was given gram crackers and ginger ale (I was so hungry!), a Percocet (which reduced my pain to about a 4) & my mom came back into the room. We were given discharge instructions & after some time, I went by wheelchair to the car at about 3 PM. Overall, I was in much less pain than I ever expected & I am healing at a remarkable rate, which I attribute not only to the expertise of my surgical team but also da Vinci robotics. Of course, for the first few days I had to take Percocet on a regular schedule (I started my period 2 days post OP & caught a cold from my mom at 3 days post OP), but after I began taking extra strength Tylenol. It was difficult to move and walk but today, I had my two week post op visit & I feel GREAT. My incisions are healing beautifully; I no longer require pain meds & can gradually move back into my normal routine. Best of all, no more FIBROID! All thanks to da Vinci & Dr. Groves. I am eternally grateful & looking forward to continuing my journey to motherhood.