Dr. Chandragupta Vedak MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

October 4th, 2015
Be Careful
As with all doctors, check your medication to see what it is prescribed for and what the side effects are. Also, ask to see the doctor's report to be sure it is accurate.

August 5th, 2015
Chaplain
I put a below average as far as promptness only because Dr. Vedak runs behind because he cares about his patients and will spend the time with you that you need. So actually, I don't mind waiting. He is an excellent doctor and will help you in any situation he can. He is worth the wait!!!!!!

March 18th, 2015
Seen Dr several yrs Wonderful Dr Knowledgeable Caring Listens Wouldn't ever change Drs

July 10th, 2014
living a great life no thanks to Dr Vedak
I rarely ever look up these reviews anymore but did notice my previous reviews were helpful to a few which is my goal! Recently I had a very difficult depressing situation which almost cost me my life. I was able to get to a doctor thankfully who helped in prescribing a small dose of zoloft & trazadone which has helped. This would not have been the case I feel had I still been a patient of Dr Vedak and maybe could be back in a bed 14-16 hours a day on the haldo he was prescribing me along with everything else. I will note that the current doctor is a general practitioner and helped better then Dr Vedak being specialized in field. Also yesterday i ran into a police detective friend and was informed to look into some natural remedies that do exist. With this said it shows two others not certified as Dr Vedak who were better in helping me. In my thought after all those years (8-9)seeing Dr Vedak was not helpful however hurtful! I do rember how Dr Vedak was praised as being a great doctor by many professionals in his community however I now live out of state and professionals here can not understand the recklessness of in his prescribing highly dangerous drugs. I will admit I came into contact with Dr Vedak due to legal issues and was incarcerated at mchenry jail where he was/is on staff and now understand that instead of dealing with the underlining issues I was given these meds referred to now as a "chemical straightjacket" to just put the p. roblem to rest and that is what happened for 8-9 years. I am alive and have reasons to live and one is to be sure my message gets out regarding Dr Vedak!!! Story time... Not to long ago I was at a restaurant where I sit at bar since I was alone. There was a man speaking and drinking a bit talking with a lady. I mind my own business however the lady leaves and this now intoxicated man starts speaking to me. I'm friendly so listen and he tells me he lost his wife one week ago because she was "sick" and was feeling guilty because he could help save her. He then tells me she committed suicide one year to the date of her first attempt. I said sir you loved your wife and did your best and no need to feel guilty rather be happy she tried for one year to fix her life and be happy and grateful you got an extra year. Without the details of the 2 hours I spent with this man as he sobered up to drive he asked me if I was in the counseling field, haha! I said no I lived it and overdose into ICU for days and happy to be alive! Well at the end he thanked me and said had he met me 3 weeks ago maybe his wife would still be alive with the knowledge I shared and that I need to share and spread my story. I told him with my past it is difficult because it's hard enough living with a felony record and if I can keep the stigma of mental illiness at bay I'm happier just living my life! Folks I would very cautious with Dr Vedak and his ways and if you or a loved one got involved due to legal issues I tried to explain how I lost those years and maybe prison would have been better for just one or two. I was a free man in body but a prisoner in mind at the hands of Dr Vedak. Good luck to all.

July 10th, 2014
living a great life no thanks to Dr Vedak

September 29th, 2011
men and medication's/sterial
After having my first child born i became a patient of dr. vedak. Exaplaining that the wife and i were starting a family to include more children and did purchase a large new home for this I was not informed to have sperm frozen/reserved for any kind of precaution's. I did become sterial and was told that the medication's i was taking was the cause of this. So i became the joke around my family and friend's after it was revealed. Nice eh? If depression wasn't bad enough dr. vedak failed to advise me on the side effect's of medication when i expressed my future plan's and compounded my situation in his failing to do so. This led to more depression and then more and more medication. Dr. vedak is a cycle of medication's and appointment's alway's waiting for at least 30 min and have waited up to over an hour. So glad my insurance ran out and i no longer see him or take any medication being able to function alot better then with medication. 15 mg of haldo daily (average is 5 mg) combined with other med's i highly doubt anyone could function and have been told this. No offense to anyone but alway's sitting in the waiting room i wondered why most the patient's seemed unfuntional having family with caring and then i became that myself. I just passed my two year aniversary of seeing a very good doctor who helped me get off all the med's and i now live a much more normal functioning life. Dr. vedak and his wild way's with prescribing medication was not the answer and contributed to more depression and a constant stuggle. My depression was situational and the situation with dr. vedak for 8 year's made it worse never getting better. I ask how can anyone get over depression when the medication prescribed caused memory loss, weight gain and loss,bad choice's/confusion, unmotivated and couldn't get out of bed sleeping 14-16 hour's a day, and then finding out not being able have more children looking at empty children's bedroom's to never fill. When any doctor offer's "free" sample's for a month or two rember they are not free and your insurance will pay thousand's to the manafactor when you then have to have them. Modern day legal crack/drug dealer is what that sound's like. Does anyone watch the new's and more and more i see medication's that were supposed to help but yet now find out they cause something else (actos=cancer) recently not even naming all the med's causeing birth defect's from women taking phychotropic's. Do your homework since dr. vedak's prescribing=no future family for myself. If you are a family member of a patient i would consider your postition also, for example anyone that lived with me for 8 year's had a very difficult time and i feel for them today. I guess if the doctor, therapists, hospital unit's, and family were to have listened to the patient some thing's could have been different but then most think they can fix anything or other's. Unfuntional i was, not eating proper, sleeping, etc.. AND what the heck was a computer or internet and how do you turn one on? Duh! Bet this doctor would have a smarta** pill for me! Take's time but in 2 year's i've become more then anything then 8 year's of nothing. Last thought, do YOU notice all the advertising for med's not only on these web page's but tv, etc.. Big money being spent for them to only make bigger money through your insurance. Who are they really helping? Of corse there is no cure for aid's or cancer because it would eliminate all the money making med's that cure nothing. This may sound off the wall but wait 10 year's and look around you then. Please people do what you have to and not what this doctor will tell you. Wait in the waiting room then in less then 5 min you get a very highly damaging drug and YOU trust in this? Good luck.

September 13th, 2011
I have been his patient for 15 year - Very caring man
I suffer from a panic disorder. I have had this since I am 17 & I am now 54. At one time in my life I as agoraphobic (housebound). Doctor Vedak has been wonderful to me. I have his cell number. He has helped me get through a divorce, the death of my mother, and because of him I can work full time with the panic disorder. He really is a good man, and he cares. I drive an hour to see him.

July 10th, 2011
Beware update
I just thought i would update my last review after a bit of time and thought. It was not completly Dr. Vedak's care givin to me that was the issue. Dr. Vedak was simply treating my own misfortunate situation. Bad controling disfunctional birth family then a unhealthy marriage with more control issues, I married what i was brought up with i guess which is common i now understand. As a doctor it was not his reponsiabilty to advise me to make dramatic personel life changes but only treat what i was presently stuck or living in. I still do not understand with all the hospitalazations and follow up out patient program's i went through in the mchenry area it only took one stay at a hospital in another state far west from illinois to have peer's and staff hear/understand me and recomend the changes i am still making today. Recovery can be a long journey and is not easy but then sometimes life isn't so easy but can be long and enjoyable regardless. Good luck to all.

April 14th, 2011
FINALLY - A doctor who gets it.
After schlepping my 80 years old dad to various therapists & psychiatrists over the last 11 years, I was skeptical when I took him to Dr. Vedak. Not only was he patient but also took the time to brief me on my dad's condition and potential treatment options/medications. Additionally he also gave his cell number, yes HIS PERSONAL cell number. Show me a doctor today who will do that.Because of my past experience with mental health professionals (actually I should call them un-professionals) I assumed that this was just a courtesy gesture. However on a Sunday my dad had some issues and a made a call to Dr. Vedak. Guess what? He answered his phone and told me that he needs to get to a location from where he could have a conversation with me (seems lke he might have been at a social event as there was a lot of background noise). He called me back within 10 mins. and appropriately advised us and followed up with an office visit the next day.My family started enjoying a "new dad" beginning from the second month onwards and since then he has progressed tremendously.To my family and me Dr. Vedak reflects how doctors used to be decades ago. Very caring, informative, and also open to visiting at home if needed. Not unlike todays therapists/doctors who are just churning patients and barely recognize who or what they are treating. I wish Dr. Vedak's practice also included general physicians, then I would switch my entire family to his practice. Many thanks Dr. V for giving us our dad back.

January 25th, 2011
beware
I would be highly careful in choosing dr. vedak. This come's from 8 year's trusting in his care. Seem's every month or two was a new or different medication dose almost like i was an experiment. Come on 8 year's to find something that would help? I ran into some situational problem's in my life and all of a sudden i have condition and diagnoises with medications. I had mention on several of my visit's over year's different issue's i had on the medication i was being givin and was alway's no answer and try this. When i tried something on my own in a 100 mg dose he gave me 600 mg on visit, that is one example of being over medicated and there are other's i don't have the time for now. His credational's are very high or is he? haha! Anyway's over those year's a perfect example is i couldn't even turn on a computer let alone find this site and compose an email. Get my point? Well my insurance i no longer have and was very worried on what i was going to do. The insurance running out was probally the best thing that has happened to me. Since going off the med's (1 year now) i haven't been in a hospital which was almost twice a year atleast, no depression actually very happy in life, I function on a daily basis taking care of myself alone and some pet's, just to name/give a difference in my life today. I don't blame all my problem's on dr. vedak and have learned alot of my own coping skill's in handling issue's in my life now.I did contribute some unhealthy choice's myself, but then i really didn't understand or know how to make healthy choice's since i barely functioned. The past year has been so rewarding and without getting angry/upset (rarely happen's anymore)i really wonder about the 8 year's i feel i lost. Sleeping day's away and explaining i couldn't get out of bed, answer... force myself and take another pill since that was the reason i had to get up for morning med's. Maybe it was the pill's causing the problem? I wake with no problem's now (other then physical ache's in age), hmm? could the 8 year's with weight up and down no movement in exercise have caused today's ache's? Truly, writing this make's me a little sad but i won't take a pill for it from dr. vedak. lol! I have today and live for it, nothing in the past to have regret's over, very simple philosophy and i believe if that is taught instead of handing out heavy amount's of medication in mis-diagnoises without proper patient listening skill's alot would do better. Personaly i feel that maybe dr. vedak's credational's have gone to his head and i think he feel's he is some sort of all knowing god. All cases are different with mental illness and don't feel i was ever properly heard being rushed out of the office. I don't even believe i have a mental illness and have been told by many others (doctor's, lcsw's, family, friend's, etc.)over the past year asking what happened and why do i seem so alive these day's. Very reaffirming! Time to go from here now i think i've said enough. I pray and wish all the best luck and hang in there! It can get better since i am living proof! Geez, nice to say "living" again. I did almost lose my life in confusion and many suicide attempt's. Thank's for reading and i hope i helped atleast just one person in there choice of a doctor and to be careful. Last thought or example, When on dr. vedak's med order's i would have lost or misplaced my head if it wasn't connected with my neck, today i still have the same set of car key's, wallet,phone,etc. from this past year and i am very thought out organized with most all thing's. Peace.

February 16th, 2010
A Lifesaver
One of the kindest and most intelligent people you will ever meet. An amazing doctor with a heart of gold.

October 25th, 2009
First rate doctor.
Takes time with every patient and really cares about you. EXCELLENT doctor.