Ophthalmologists
303 E Quincy St
Ste 100
San Antonio, TX 78215
210-271-7648
Locations and availability (8)

3.0

|  M.D.  |  show details
by Dr. B on Jun 11th, 2014

Response to Carol P...... You were gratiously worked into a full schedule when you called with problems. Pts were seen in the order of their appointment, as always. All new patients have both eyes completely examined. It takes at least 1.5 hours for all visits when we dilate pupils so that we can see the retina all the way to the periphery. Cash patients are indeed collected up front because many of them come in, have an exam, then conveniently state that they did not bring funds to pay and want us to bill them then never pay their bill. I have tens of thousands of dollars of unpaid bills to prove this. Exam rates are dictated by CMS... you know this... you are a nurse. I do not set the rates. You had both eyes examined at your first visit as any competent ophthalmologist would do. You would have scorned me if I had not examined both eyes and then you turned out to have a problem in the eye not examined. You were indeed charged the base cash rate to initially be seen and were also told that if there is additional testing or exam it would be in addition to this... you signed a paper explaining this policy. The extra charges were for extended ophthalmoscopy which was done in both eyes. This used either a 78D, 20D or 3-mirror lens... one of them, two of them or all three. A 3-mirror lens was used on the eye you were having problems with in addition to the 78D lens. The 78D lens was used on the other eye. A detailed color drawing was made of both of your eyes for the record. This was explained to you each time you called to dispute your bill. You were not left on hold for an hour, the phone system will not do this... it cuts off after a certain time. My office staff are very helpful, however, when someone calls in about the same dispute many times they are referred to the biller in the main office instead of having many different employees deal with them and more misunderstandings happen. You received a thorough dilated retinal exam by a retinal specialist when you called in with a problem. You simply did not like having to pay your bill in cash at the time of your appointment. You chose not to obtain insurance coverage. Do you go to HEB and load up a cart of groceries then go to the teller and tell them you don't want to pay for the groceries or to bill you later? I think not!

|  BSN,RN  |  show details
by Carol P on Mar 6th, 2014

I experienced an issue with my right eye Dec 31, 2013; obtained appointment with Dr Brodrick on Jan 3, 2014. Upon arrival at office; payment was required before I would be seen. My wait was in excess of 1.5 hours, everyone else was seen first, even all who entered after me, which made me the last patient to be seen that day. I paid the $231.00 for exam, then after the exam the receptionist added a $190.00 charge without explanation except he used some additional test. There was not printing capability available at the Boerne TX office I visited so I requested a copy of the bill be sent to my address. Did not receive this and after calling San Antonio office twice, was mailed a copy. I then saw that the additional $190.00 was broken down into two $95.00 charges which told me I was charged for a special lens to check for a retinal tear in each eye not just the right eye which is the one he looked at; the one I went in to have examined. I started calling the office right after that to get an explanation of the overcharge, several attempts and no call backs later, it is now March 6, 2014; I have just spent an hour on hold with his San Antonio office and again am told that someone will call me back after they talk to Dr Brodrick. I informed that I was writing reviews because I feel I was overcharged not to mention the cold, detached attitude of the Boerne office staff. It was money first with them, I paid, but now I am having such an issue getting straight facts, an answer to my request.