Dr. Charles Cooper MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

December 5th, 2013
Never a problem
We have been patients of Dr. Cooper for nearly 10 years. I have 6 children, and we have always had professional treatment from both Dr. Cooper and his staff. We really like the optical center as well. Our appointments have always been prompt and efficient. I have friends who were not terribly pleased with Dr. Cooper's manner, but he was professional rather than engaging with small children. I understand the desire to have an engaging Dr, but I'd take professional and knowledgeable over engaging. My (extremely shy) children have never objected to going here or seeing Dr. Cooper.

August 10th, 2012
nothing but praise - not one complaint
My family and I have had nothing, absolutely nothing but positive experiences with Dr Cooper. Our first experience was that of a serious situation with our young daughter - when I called his office and explained my daughter's situation an appointment was made for her to be seen immediately. For the poster who said they 'should have known' because they were told to come right over.... really, because a doctor made time to see someone right away, you take that to mean something negative? Last year I myself experienced an acute issue with my vision, I was seen in an ER, and then called Dr Cooper's office and was advised to come right over. What I take from the immediate attention we have received - both known and unknown to his office - each time we ever are in need to be seen Dr Cooper has been a physician who is attentive and aware of the need for immediate attention. My daughter has had ongoing issues with her eyes due to other health factors and it is with wonderful and clear communication from Dr Cooper that my daughter's eyes are healthy. I understand and agree the need for the appointments to not be a family outing, I have had to bring my other child along a few times, I, myself, do not want that distraction from the attention that needs to be directed to the patient - I do not want the distraction. Dr Cooper has never, ever been rude, or annoyed in any manner with my children, the patient or my child that came along - who actually can be very distracting. I actually have a great appreciation for the manner in which he communicates with my daughter, my daughter likes Dr Cooper and enjoys her visits. I am very thankful for the care my daughter has received from Dr Cooper, he saved her eye sight, and has been wonderful at every visit. We had seen other eye Drs who treated our daughter, with no success. We were fortunate to find Dr Cooper as her eye/sight was so compromised. I really emphasize this because of the negative commentary that is so contradictory to our experiences and I have never heard anything negative from other moms that I've become acquainted with through school and other child related activities (moms chat). I highly recommend Dr Cooper. S.N.

July 13th, 2012
Great Doctor
I have been going to my Doctor, Dr. Cooper, for years now. He saw the slight strabismus in my eldest daughter when she was 6 months old and validated what I was telling everyone else I was seeing. Problem cleared on its own. Very professional man, knows his business. My two daughters see him and my twin boys will as well when they get older. He's no-nonsense is exactly what is needed to get the job done. He's not a nanny. He's a busy professional doctor who has many patients to see. If you want a doctor who knows his business, see Dr. Cooper! Oh, love the ridiculous reviews on this site...some of you need to seek therapists, seriously. You need emotional help.

July 3rd, 2012
Biggest regret of my life so far.
In the late 90's/early 2000's, I was in my early 20's and a patient of Dr. Cooper. At that point I had had strabismus surgery as a toddler and over time, as these things happen, my alignment failed. To keep this as succinct as possible - he felt he could operate to improve my alignment. He never ever ever told me there was a chance he could make it worse. In the first surgery, or post-op, the muscle was lost, unbeknownst to him. In the second surgery, I believe he re-attached scar tissue, and the third (yes, I was that dumb to let him operate on me a third time) I don't know what he did. After several months off of surgical procedures to try to recuperate, I went to one of the premier opthalmology hospitals in the area. They agreed to operate and found that the muscle wasn't attached at all. They did their best, but it required an MRI to find it, a second surgery with an orbital surgeon to local the muscle and lots of work to reattach my muscle. And yet, years later my traumatized muscle thinned and stretched require yet another surgery. My eye looks like frankenstein, still, all these years later. And my alignment is not visually better than before I saw Dr. Cooper. At least at that point I could make them straight based upon eye dominance, now they are not straight regardless of which eye I use dominantly. I also experienced double vision post-operatively as the alignment, was at times, so bad that my brain didn't know what to do with the vastly different images it was receiving. I still experience this today. It affects my ability to drive or read as much as I would like, not to mention it's a cosmetic deformative.Every pre-op appointment I had at this other center included "And you realize this may not improve and could make it worse." I wanted to cry. If only I had been told that in the first place. Now I don't even like to make eye contact with people and try to wear sunglasses as much as possible, socially.I regret allowing him to operate on me. I suffer every day for what happened to me here. I look like a freak with my crooked eyes, it is too tiring to drive or read for very long. I am looking at spending hundreds on vision therapy to grasp at straws to try help me, and likely still another 8th surgery after that.I.Suffer.Every.Day. I was better off before I let him operate on me.

May 4th, 2012
Do not go to this Dr.
There are several Pediatric Opthamologists and I would never take a child to this man. He does not like children. He did not talk to my grandson. He only gave directions and got annoyed.To pay to be treated this horrificly is disgusting.Dr. Cooper had no idea that I am a Dr.s wife. My daughter and I were referred there by our grandson's pediatrician. When we heard we could come right over that should have been the give away. He has no bedside manner and should not tout his fellowship in Pediatrics as he does not like children.He did not say one word to my 9 year old grandson.Stay Clear!!!!

April 11th, 2012
Mean, horrible doctor!
He reviewed himself to give better ratings. He is mean! He yells at patients. His review is a lie. He is horrible to kids and parents. He treated me like I am an idiot. I never told him that I am a doctor myself. He should just retire. He is burned out. Terrible. Dr. Cooper, you should be ashamed of yourself!!!

December 5th, 2011
A MESSAGE FROM CHARLES A. COOPER, MD
Since doctor review sites became available, I have seen some negative posts about me by anonymous contributors over the years. Until now, I have ignored these reviews. However, I am no longer willing to idly sit by and have a miniscule number of people try to damage a reputation I have spent my entire professional life building. I have practiced Ophthalmology, primarily Pediatric Ophthalmology in Thousand Oaks, California since 1985. I see approximately 7,000 patients per year in my office and perform many surgical procedures each year. I have seen over 200,000 patients and performed over 4,000 surgeries during my entire career. I now see many second generation patients; parents who were patients of mine as children now bring their own children in. Doing eye examinations on young children is difficult. It requires me to have a childs undivided attention. Parents are always requested when an appointment is made and confirmed to not bring other children along. Most parents understand that the reason for this request is that I am trying to perform the most thorough exam that I can and respect that request. Those that ignore this request and bring other children who are distracting or disruptive detract from my ability to do a good exam. Most of the negative feedback results from ignoring this simple request. Parents are always welcomed and encouraged to be in the exam room while the evaluation is taking place. In short, I want to do a good job for your kids. Help me accomplish this goal! I am very proud of the good work that I have done in helping my patients with their eye problems through my 30 year career in ophthalmology. I am available, responsive and care deeply about my patients. If that is what you want in a physician, I look forward to meeting you.You can visit our website at www.lynneyemedicalgroup.com to get more information about my training and experience. Thank you.

December 2nd, 2011
Horrible with children
I am not sure why people chose to work with children when they obviously can't stand them. The staff is HORRIBLE!!!!!Dr, cooper could be the best doctor in the world but you would never know it because he acts as if he doesn't like children and his staff hates them.

October 14th, 2011
professional
Dr. Cooper has always been professional and courteous to me and my children over the last 7 years. We have been happy with all the staff as well - they are efficient, helpful, and professional. My only complaint is that the parking lot is always completely full.

August 23rd, 2011
Absolutely wonderful Dr. and experience
Dr Cooper has been a God send for our daughter, truly. Our young daughter experienced a serious issue with her eye; Dr Cooper quickly diagnosed the problem, treated her immediately via surgery. He was and continues providing patient and professional care. He clearly explains everything, and answers all of our questions. If and when I need him via phone or to be seen - he has been and is available. We cannot express in words our appreciation. Also note, Dr. Cooper was not the first Dr. we sought advise and treatment from for our daughter's eyes. His staff is professional, efficient and prompt.

October 12th, 2008
Horrible Doctor for kids
He is a rude doctor. He is mean to kids and has a terrible bedside manner. Never