Dr. Charles Choi MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

February 27th, 2016
DO NOT GO TO HIM
after waiting usually over an hour to see him for 10 min.by this time my pain has made me impatient and in a hurry to just leave.Cant seem to remember my pain issues Not willing to try all natural remedies to pain and will have a nurse treat me even though she has NOT looked at my mri or x rays its been 3 years and i am just getting worse time to switch doctors to some who cares and is willing to try something different besides pills and injections that dont work but wants me to keep getting them.

July 28th, 2015
I met the rep from the company, St.Judes' to meet with both myself and Dr. Choi. He ordered some Xrays and after they were read he told me what they showed in regard to my stimulator which he implanted in 2006. He has helped me many times in the past years and I needed help again. There was no follow-up scheduled, so I do not know if he can do any more for me and my chronic pain.

January 21st, 2015
Great doctor if you don't mind a Dictator type relationship and no voice in your treatment.
The very first time I saw him was while I was waiting on my EMG results to confirm that I needed surgery to fix a herniated L4/L5 disc with annular tear. It was suggested I see him in the meantime while I was working with a wonderful surgeon in the same office to manage symptoms until we had a definite plan regarding surgery. I explained my pain level was not enough to warrant me to even take an entire 5 mg pill of the Percocet I was prescribed and therefore I only took a half of a pill at a time , or 2.5 mgs. His solution was to increase my dosage from a 5 mg Percocet to a 10 mg Percocet. SERIOUSLY! I had just told him I only take half of my 5 mg pill? I politely refused as I believe this was a CRAZY suggestion and contributes to the narcotic opiate addiction epidemic! My surgery was approved after my EMG results confirmed nerve damage. At that point my pain had improved and I elected to wait on the surgery to see if it would heal itself in time as I was advised it sometimes does. I started just seeing my family doctor when I would occasionally "over do it" with my activity and end up with temporary pain periodically. About a year later my Fibromyalgia started flaring up causing my back to flare up more regularly again so I decided to see him again for his suggestions on managing the back and fibro that were working against each other and each were casing the other to "flare". I again told him my lower back still wasn't bad enough to need regular pain meds and I still only took 1/2 of a 5 mg pill (2.5 mgs) and very occasionally I would take a 1/2 of a 5 mg Valium when it was really bad at night to assist with the muscle spasms that prevented me from sleep, never taking the 1/2 of a Percocet or 1/2 of a Vaium at the same time though. I stared having a lot of pain in my upper back and neck area so I asked him about that and he advised it was caused by my Fibromyalgia and he doesn't treat that. So, ultimately I ended up with no say in my treatment plan and he gave me the ultimatum to either have Cortisone Injections in my lower back (which was NOT my main problem or needed at the time) or he wouldn't treat me anymore or even refill my scripts as needed. Last I checked we don't live in a communist country. He proceeded to call me a script that he wanted me to take on the morning of my injections, which I was being forced to have to contiune treatment of any kind. He called in (6) - 5 mg Valiums... HELLO, again I only rarely take a half of a 5 mg Valium or 2.5 mgs! He advised me I couldn't do much the day of a the indirections and probably a couple days after due to the injections site pain. However he felt I would be fine to bring myself to my appointment and care for my 3 year old the day of the injections. Nobody in their right mind would take 30 mgs of Valium at once after only ever taking 2.5 mgs at a time and drive or care for their 3 year old! I still wonder who he thought was going to literally carry me in and out of my appointment. After much frustration with the irresponsible recommendations and ultimatums I decided to switch to a pain management facility and doctor that my family doctor recommended that could treat my back and my Fibro in one place. She was nice enough to refill my scripts in between doctors (only a week between) and I was immediately that I do NOT need steroid injections at this time but I do need to manage my Fibro and was tested and diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis‎ also that needed to be treated. I had also lost over half of my leg strength and muscle in the right effected leg. All in all if you don't mind having pills thrown at you when you don't need them and having next to no say in your own treatment plans or opinions and physical feelingsarding your own body and are ok with having a dictator type relationship with your doctor where you do as he says even when you know you don't need it then he could be the perfect doctor for you! I personally was not ok with this as I know my body an I am my own avocate and want to be inclded in my treatments plans, which he was vey clear he did not like or appreciate! He does have decent bedside manners though as long as yo agree with whatever he says!

December 14th, 2013
Dr. Choi has an excellent bedside manner..He listens carefully most of the time..I'm not 100% sure that he ever looked over other doctor's notes, MRI's, myelogram, or x ray films and reports that I brought to the first appointment..At my first appointment with Dr. Choi, he told me that I was NOT a candidate for a spinal cord stimulator or pain pump..At my second appointment 2 weeks later, he said I was a candidate for a spinal cord stimulator--and his notes reflected that we talked extensively about the stimulator and the procedure..(Which is why I always bring someone else with me to my appointments)..The only procedure discussed at the first appointment was a facet joint injection..When I attempted to remind him of our previous conversation, he seemed confused..Frankly, I was confused too--I don't know how his notes could indicate discussions that we never had..Dr. Choi also told me that physical therapy wasn't an option..But then at a later appointment, told me that it was..I'm really not sure what is going on regarding his office visit notes..I can understand some discrepancies occur, but not to this extent..Also, one must make an appointment every month for a new prescription--which is understandable..Although, they never seem to available appointments until the day prescriptions are due (or after)..If one is truly in pain, going days without medication is a horrible experience and intolerable..I've seen many patients come into the office without an appointment and ask for prescriptions or to schedule an "emergency" appointment to have their medication changed..It seems that every time a patient comes in, the soonest emergency appointment is a week to ten days away..Apparently, if you make a fuss and yell, a nurse will go back to get a prescription written by a doctor--I've seen this happen three times..I'm not saying by any means that he's a bad doctor, because he's not..There appears to be some confusion in the office and with the office visit notes,..And honestly, mistakes like that can end up being devastating..

June 16th, 2011
Dr Choi is an exeptional doctor and person. His professionalism is second to none! I was extremely sorry to find out he moved to California but not at all surprised to find out his wife/office manager was at the bottom of it. Her blasting(and I mean blasting) religous music was more than a lot of patients could take and was probably the reason he decided to leave his practice. I know tis because I spoke to many in the waiting area. I'll miss you Dr. Choi, and I wish you a long and happy life.