Dr. Charles Matthews MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

May 25th, 2016
Willing to look outside the box on treatment and always open to suggestions. Does not "give up" on tough cases which happens frequently with neurologists/headache specialists.

August 12th, 2015
Wise and compassionate
I have read the negative comments and, yes, Dr. Mathews did lose his license many years ago because he made a mistake, one he immediately addressed and rectified. If you want to see a perfect man, go elsewhere, and by the way, good luck in finding that person. If, however, you seek relief from headaches and want wise counsel, an accurate diagnosis, and compassionate care, go to Dr. Mathews. Not only is he a brilliant doctor, but he also cares deeply about his patients and makes decisions that include kindness and a clear desire to help his patients regain comfort. I suffered for years with dibilitating migraines. Dr. Mathews gave me back my life along with hope and relief from pain. For every person who has "cast a stone" at him, there are hundreds who looked to him for the best possible care. I recommend him with no reservations.

August 6th, 2015
Fabulous Doctor-the best in the Triangle!
I have been a patient of Dr. Matthews since 2009, and he is by far the best doctor that I have ever seen! When I became his patient, I was suffering from chronic daily migraines amongst many other medical maladies, and he thoroughly looked at my past medical history, my current symptoms, did blood work (lots!), and came up with an accurate diagnosis that not only alleviated the daily headaches but treated most if not all of the other medical problems I was having as well! Instead of just trying to write prescription after prescription like many doctors in the area who I have had the misfortune of seeing, he actually takes the time to listen to my concerns and symptoms, so he can treat me in an individualized manner-what works for one patient does not always work for another, and he takes that into consideration. I love that he is open to natural treatments too. Most importantly, he is an expert in his field, and I always know that I am receiving quality care. He is compassionate, caring, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about him. I encourage all of my friends with headaches to see him!

March 30th, 2015
WONDERFUL!!!
Dr. Matthews is patient and very kind. His intelligence shines through when he speaks. My daughter's migranes are so intense and we have been through so much and to so many doctors. Dr. Matthews had a diagnosis for us and is a very great listener.

February 23rd, 2015
Dr. Matthews diagnosed me when others didnt, but I have never waited so long to be seen at every appointment in my life. Why have an appointment when walk ins go before you, or you wait over an hour to be seen? You have to cancel your whole afternoon as you can pretty much know you will be there all day every time.

May 13th, 2014
I have had chronic migraines since childhood. I truly thought there was nothing that could help me. When my migraines began to cause stroke like symptoms also called "complicated migraines," I was virtually unable to function, spending days at a time in bed. That's when I found Dr. Mathews. I had almost given up, but Dr. Mathews really listened and really understood my migraines. It's been two months since my last migraine and I still have trouble believing how much better I am. In the last 3 months I've had 1 migraine. After 30 years I've finally found some relief. I am so grateful.

July 24th, 2012
Dr. Matthews really cares about his patients. He does not have a number to contact after hours and I don't blame him Try the Emergency room if it's that bad

April 20th, 2012
Good doctor to work with
After having little luck with other doctors in getting help for my migraines, I was skeptical about going to another doctor. But Dr. Matthews was very patient and offered solutions that no one else had thought of. I still get the occasional migraine, but I have better medicine now for getting rid of it. I would highly recommend him.

February 23rd, 2012
Do NOT go to this doctor!
Please do not go to this doctor. I have personally suffered from his lack of both medical knowledge and lack of concern for his patient's welfare. He continually passes patients off to his Nurse Practitioner, who ends up changing your treatment plan, and who has admitted that Dr Mathews' medical notes are not BCBS complaint. His office staff is extremely unprofessional-they consistently lose important information and/or forget to do their job. There is no way to contact this office after hours (even for emergencies). In addition, he has been sanctioned and LOST his license for sleeping with two patients (information available on www.healthgrades.com). Please find another doctor, he is last person in the world who should be treating you.

January 29th, 2012
THE Gold Standard in Patient Care
I have been to many Doctors overs the years for my chronic debilitating migraines, and have very high expectations when it comes to choosing a healthcare provider. Upon being referred to Dr. Matthews by my pharmacist, I was a bit hesitant to make an appointment with yet another neurologist, only go through the same battery of tests and treatment with no significant improvement. I cannot fully express how happy I am that I decided to seek care at the NC Comprehensive Headached Clinic. There is NO better Doctor than Dr. Matthews. His knowledge, skill, and level of compassion are unparalleled. He treats you as an individual and not a "set of symptoms". I will be forever grateful for the difference he has made in my everyday life.

January 4th, 2011
A gem.
In response to the person who commented that one night there were three of his patients there, I'm glad to hear it. In my travels, and going through lots of NC Migraine/HA specialists/ I had never yet heard of one who told their patients that a Migraine that lasts over 72 hrs is dangerous, and it's ER time. This is no longer a "typical Migraine," but Status Migrainous, a condition which raises stroke risk, and needs to be addressed right away.Dr. Matthews is willing to go outside the box as far as treatment, works well with other physicians in looking at you as a person, not just a person whose only health concern is the HA/Migraine that you're seeing him for.His gentle manner, constant desire to gain knowledge, and accuracy in diagnosing problems are wonderful.I must say, as a "tough case" whom other doctors have been put off by, and as an educated patient, which has been offputting to MANY doctors, this doctor laps it all up, enjoys working with a true partner in my disease management, and genuinely wants to take on patients who other doctors have given up on.... He's pretty special.I wish I could find a doctor like him in other fields of Medicine. I'd be one lucky Migraineur.

September 7th, 2010
Medical Doctor or Money Maker
I was in the ER and there was 3 other of his patients as well. He never came to the hospital to see any of us. He loves to sell his needle shots for inflated prices. More of a money maker than a Doctor. Google him if you want to learn more.