Dr. Cheryl Bernstein MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

1.8

November 20th, 2016
I had my first appointment with Dr. Bernstein and her team and felt understood and highly hopeful. For the past 5 years I haven't gotten much advice or answers and her team have land a plan of attack to live more with thisthis painful chronic condition. I'm looking forward to finally get the proper medical attention.

July 14th, 2016
Useless and harmful
Agree with others, stay away.

March 28th, 2016
If I could give zero I would. I don't know who she thinks she is but her treatment of patients is not acceptable. She has nothing to offer as a doctor or human being. If there are any positive comments about her they were probably provided by her or UPMC. Do not waste your time with this arrogant, disrespectful and toxic "doctor"

March 13th, 2016
I met with the fellow. Everyone was extremely nice - that's not the issue. The fellow barely touched me or heard my complaints of what my chronic pain was. Dr. Bernstein was in the room for maybe 4 or 5 minutes and only promoted the in-house pain program. My appointment was nothing but an introduction. That's not going to get me through every intense minute of pain I'm experiencing. I asked if we could switch my Lyrica prescription from my rheumotolgist to her office. I only wanted to deal with Dr. Bernstein. She said of course and left to check on how to do that. The nurse came back with my exit papers and I didn't see Dr. Bernstein again. When I told the nurse and front desk our appointment wasn't over and I still had more questions, they went and asked Dr. Bernstein to see me again. Dr. Bernstein said if I had more questions, I would have to make another appointment. I made 3 more appointments with the Occupational Therapist, Physical therapist, and psychologist to be screened for the in-house pain program. I scheduled all 3 on the same day so I would only have to use 1 of the 25 yearly visits my insurance allows. The occupational therapist canceled our appoint and I had to reschedule for the next day, using up another precious copay my insurance grants me. Each visit with the 3 lasted about 15 minutes each and the only conclusion was that I needed to join the in-house program which would start in 6 weeks. I. AM. IN. PAIN. This pain has forfeited my education and ability to earn a career. The things I have to do to earn money for these lackadaisical, incomplete, and inattentive appointments is painful. My time, money, and pain is not respected or properly acknowledged. However, I honestly believe that Dr. Bernstein is doing all that she can do. And that's the saddest part.

February 12th, 2016
First Do No Harm
First Do No Harm! Cheryl Bernstein operates in a vacuum of narcissism, arrogance and utter incompetence. First you will wait between 1 hour or more to see her and their is a double standard. She has no problem treating patients with disregard and lack of empathy. I have read multiple sites and she has the most horrible reviews I have ever seen. Do not patronize this clinic.

January 29th, 2016
No help with pain at all!!
I am very disappointed! I have only seen this doctor 2 times. She only spent about 5 minutes with me on both visits. Never gave me much information about Fibromyalgia, which is why I went to see her, to get a confirmed Fibro diagnosis. Didn't seem to care that my pain level was a 9 while I was at both appointments. Basically told me to give Cymbalta time to work the first visit & would not give me any type of 'Rescue" medication for my severe pain. Called the office a couple weeks later & could not speak to a person, had to leave a message. Did not get called back until the next day. Was told no for any other medication, told to give Cymbalta more time. Had to call my PCP to have my dosage of Cymbalta increased, she prescribed it for my depression. Waited another week or 2 to call back when I was not getting any relief. of course, had to leave message & wait until the next day. Explained that the doctor said she would prescribe Lyrica if Cymbalta wasn't helping. Nurse said doctor won't prescribe anything over the phone & to wait for my next appointment. Finally get my to my 2nd appointment & the same thing happens. The first doctor (intern or whatever he was)came in first & said he would recommend Neurontin be tried first. She came in & agreed. I adked about getting shots in my lower back like I used to my degenerating discs. She said "they" don't recommend. Asked about a medication for when pain is severe, she said no. Wait to see if the Neurontin helps & walked out!

January 4th, 2016
She is the worst. Real attitude problem. Nasty. Wasn't permitted 2 see another dr. when I complained, was told I couldn't c any1 else. Very upsetting experience.

November 5th, 2015
No! Just no!
If I could give her a 0, I would!

October 28th, 2015
Long wait, extremely rude, dispassionate
Dr Bernstein was unfortunately one of the most condescending and dispassionate practitioners I have ever encountered in more than 30 years of chronic illness. Perhaps I got her on a bad day, but I'm not going again to find out.

July 8th, 2015
Once was enough
This woman is condescending, rude, and obviously is not interested in helping people. I waited close to 2 hours to see her and she is a bitter joke of a doctor. I have found educated, experienced and compassionate help elsewhere. Don't waste your precious time with her ego.

April 12th, 2015
she was the rudeest hatefull dr Ive seen, and her nurse is worst, she makes fun of people all the time, and did not even read my chart to see why I was there,? DON"T GO TO HER,

February 26th, 2015
Avoid this doctor
I came with recent MRIs and X-rays showing severe spinal stenosis and end stage arthritis in my right hip (which is scheduled to be replaced in 6 weeks). I had a letter of introduction from a respected PCP whom she knew, and a pre-existing morphine prescription. I came seeking a more comprehensive way to manage my pain that would reduce my need for narcotics. My PCP never intended Bernstein to prescribe for me. Rather than helping me to manage my pain, all the emphasis was on managing me! Bernstein kept me waiting nearly an hour, then offered me essentially nothing my PCP had not already done, then handed me an unnecessary prescription and ordered a comprehensive battery of drug tests which confirmed what I had already told her, that I was using morphine as prescribed, and nothing else. That unnecessary test cost me over $200. Her misnamed "Pain Clinic," which is little more than a glorified pill dispensary, has rigid protocols that treat all patients like criminal suspects regardless of history or particular circumstances: for example, their mandatory contract specifies urine and blood tests at the physician's sole discretion, even on days when no appointment is scheduled! And in fact, no "discretion" was exercised. The test was ordered automatically. The high standard of accountability the "clinic" demands of its patients stands in stark contrast with its total lack of commitment to its patients. Even during regular business hours, this facility that purports to care for patients with severe chronic pain does not allow patients to access a live medically trained person by telephone. So patients must wait for a call back, and if they work and do not have a private office, they may end up having to discuss very private matters essentially in public. All to make their operation slightly more "efficient?" Every patient is treated like an interchangeable cog according to one-size-fits-all rules - the quintessential UPMC corporate healthcare model. When I complained about my treatment after the visit, Bernstein never responded.