Dr. Christopher Baker MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

February 19th, 2016
They don't call them surgeon for nothing
I was referred to Dr. Baker and saw him today for multiple herniated disc in my back. The PA spent maybe 5 mins with be checking reflexes and such. The doctor came in and said I need a three level fussion in my lower back. He took me to another room to look at my MRI. He then asked me to go back to the original room I was in and he would be right in. Well he never came back. A MA came and said "all done" I will take you to check out. I told her I have a lot of questions and would like to speak to the doctor. I was told they could answer any questions at checkout. I replied that I wanted to ask about the surgery because it is a major procedure and that I wanted to speak with the Dr. Or the PA. I was told they were already with other patients. This place is a cutting factory. I will not debate that I need surgery, but I expect that you will spend some time with me and answer my questions. No discussion of other options, therapy, pain managment, or less severe surgery. Also, when my primary care doctor referred me I was told Dr. Bakers office would call within a week to schedule an appointment. After almost two weeks passed I called and they said they did not get a copy of my insurance card. Ok, maybe you did, maybe you didn't (my primary care says they sent it, but will give benifit of the doubt), but maybe, just maybe you might let someone know.... If I hadn't called I would still be waiting for an appointment Needless to say, I will find someone else.

January 2nd, 2016
UNSATISFACTORY
This Doctor severely lacked patience and ability to communicate pleasantly with a Patient seeking his advice about possible Surgery.. And, His Staff!?!? I would have felt more comfortable around a Pack of Wild Pit Bulls! When you leave the Office, there's a feeling you didn't leave fast enough!! Skip this One and look for Minimally Invasive Drs in Altamonte Springs with more Professional Training and Staff. After all, It's Your Spine On the Line.

December 1st, 2015
Great Dr. if you can navigate the defensive end.
I was seen in the ER 4 days ago, less than 2 months post surgical, and was referred back to Dr. Baker, called to make an appointment for follow up. I was promptly told by someone I am assuming was a Dr. based on her advice and assumed knowledge of my case, before given the opportunity to explain the dynamic of the ER visit. I was told and had it "explained" to me that I would need to start the referral protocol from my GP all over again, even though I am an existing patient and the symptoms that sent me to the ER are also related to the spinal issues I had surgery for 2 months ago. I would recommend Dr. Baker in a heart beat, his staff however leaves a lot to be desired as far as courtesy, empathy, respect and patient care are concerned. You will have to run and navigate his very rude and defensive office staff, scheduler and other auxiliary staff such as nursing assistants. God forbid you need to be seen for follow up care after your post surgical follow up care is considered complete.

June 1st, 2015
Mrs
I recently had a fusion with Dr Baker I have been having problems for a long time I had a MRI and a Cat scan he knew immediately what was wrong and within 3 weeks he fixed it. He was very professional, and I would highly recommend him. Fla Hospital was the best we live over 25 miles away but they are now my Hospital of choice

March 30th, 2013
Dr Baker inapproiate behavior
Dr Baker asked me several times if I was crazy and then told me about another Dr's wife he just did surgery on and said she is crazy because she is in pain. He made fun of her. He made inappropriate remarks, one being of a sexual nature. He was very flip. I would not recommend him to anyone and I am not going back to see him. I will follow up with another Dr.

March 19th, 2013
slice dice philosphy BEWARE its your health
Was toldI I need surgery asap or I might become paralyzed if I injured my self. There was no therapy recommended, no nerve medication suggested and no pain management recommended. Went to USF health center and Neosurgeon told me exactly what Dr Bakers PA told me. USF surgeon said surgery should be a last resort. Plus having a stent in my heart and being on Plavix would create a higher risk at this time for major surgery. USF Dr. put me on nerve medication, therapy, and set up a pain managing program. He also said I was 5 to 10 years out from possible surgery. USF surgeon said he would put in his report that DR Bakers should not be recommended. And was sending a copy to DR Baker and my family Doctor.

November 24th, 2012
A wonderful doctor who fills me with confidence in him
Dr. Baker can be a little flip, but I think it's because of his acute sense of humor.He does not recommend surgery unless it is absolutely essential.I feel so lucky to have been recommended to him by my ARNP. Dr Baker did gamma knife surgery on my brain tumor several years ago and I have no problems or re-occurrence since then.

November 2nd, 2011
I would highly recommend Dr. Baker for all the criteria listed above. Our experience with him was one of the best especially considering the very serious nature of back surgery.

November 10th, 2010
Surgeon Of The Century
I had a triple fusion by Dr.Baker in 2000. My backs been fine ever since. My back gets soar in cold weather but that happens with any major surgery. Dr.Baker was a total pro and kept me and my family informed every step of the way. Nobody but this Dr. will ever operate on me. When you find an excellent Dr. you stick with them. You found one. Highly recommended!

November 30th, 2009
former patient, back surgery
had surgery ,did not help pain, called to tell dr. i still had pain so when he read last x ray could he suggest something. only replie was from office that everything looks ok wrote letter to dr. still no reply. maybe i should write hospital in new york where he was cheif resident , that they need to train their drs. better the reason most see drs. is because we are in pain. they should try to help us a lot of money wasted with him

October 6th, 2009
I had an L4/L5 & L5/S1 spinal fusion done in 2007 by Dr. Baker. I thought he was excellent. He was very knowledgeable and took the time to explain the options to me and my husband. He came highly recommended by another neurosurgeon, which meant a lot. His office is gorgeous & comfortable. His staff is horrible though. On my 3rd day home from surgery (when I was still pretty immobile) they called because I owed them $15 for completing paperwork for my extended leave of absence from work. I told them that I was lying there, post-surgery, and asked her if she really needed me to get up and get the credit card information (especially since I was scheduled for a follow-up in a week!), she actually said she really needed the information so they could process the paperwork! Also, about 10 months later, I had an exacerbation of pain, and called to set up an appointment. I had to leave a message with the assistant, who called back & left a message that she had called in more pain meds. I didn't want pain meds! I wanted an appointment. I called back & she told me to try the meds for 2 weeks & if I was still in pain to call back. Dr. Baker's abilities are worth the hassle of the front office, but I really wish he would fire them all & start over with a group with a better attitude!

September 9th, 2009
I will always wonder!?
Had fusion of L4 and L5 by Doctor Christopher Baker in 2005. Still have chronic back pain and at the mercy of pain pills. I wish I did the surgery with a different doctor and see if I would still have chronic back pain... Who knows? I can not blame Dr Baker for that but I will always wonder. The only thing that is I was surprised is once you are done with the surgery and your follow ups, they are done with you and do not want to see you anymore. Pain management doctors will pick up for the rest of my life... and pills... If you have a choice... never start... because once you start, you are done and can not leave without them or you will be in pain, and be very sick...