Emergency Physician, Thoracic Surgeon, Family Practitioner
Sarasota Medical Center
4450 S Tamiami Trl
Sarasota, FL 34231
941-927-1234
Locations and availability (3)

• Currently 3.9047619047619 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.9047619047619 of 4 stars
 |  Quite possibly saved my life  |  show details
by G. Roper on Jan 15th, 2014

When I discovered that one of my lymph nodes on my neck was swollen, I went to Dr. Mason to check it out. I had no other symptoms and had recently had a physical for a health insurance policy, bloodwork included, that was perfectly normal. Dr. Mason suggested that it was possible that it was simply a swollen lymph node and prescribed antibiotics but also said he felt that there could be a potentially larger issue and wanted to schedule further testing. This was a Friday and he scheduled a scan for Tuesday. Over the weekend my lump decreased dramatically so we assumed that it was simply an infection and were prepared to cancel the scan, however, Dr. Mason was persistant that he felt a more thorough exam should be done so we kept the appointment. A week later, he called me into his office with the diagnosis - squamous cell carcinoma - cancer - in my lymph nodes - Stage IV. He was calm, reassuring and gave my wife and I excellent advise on next steps. It's been a year now and after successfully completing surgery, radiation and chemo, I am cancer free, however, I will always credit Dr. Mason for insisting on the scan even though the lump was almost gone by then. It would have been so easy to say "well, I guess that's what it was then". Thank you Dr. Mason.

|  WOW!  |  show details
by CWP on Nov 8th, 2013

Dr Mason is one excellent doctor. He not only takes the time to understand what the problem is, he explains it and the solution very well. He is caring, understanding, and patient, least with me he was. I like how he explains your treatments options. Thanks Doc for just being you.

|  Fantastic Doctor!  |  show details
by Molly on Nov 8th, 2013

Dr. Mason has been my primary care physician for a few years and I am so grateful to have found such a great doctor. He always spends a lot of time making sure I understand any of my health concerns and his staff is very professional and knowledgeable. He also saved my life when I went into anaphylactic shock due to a bad allergic reaction. There's no doubt that I trust Dr. Mason with my life!

|  Excellent Clinic  |  show details
by Julie Lamb on Nov 4th, 2013

I'm so happy I found Sarasota Medical center when I moved here 8 years ago. they have the best staff, can get you in right away for emergencies, Dr. John Mason is an excellent Doctor, and so are the other doctors on staff.

Oct 31st, 2013

From the first time I met Dr Mason there wasn't another Dr I wanted to go to. Very good to listen to your problems. Very compassionate and concerned for your health, with a follow up that you are ok. You can believe that he is well educated and knows about the problem. Very nice man. The clinic staff is very nice and prompt to take can of you. Slip

|  PATIENT  |  show details
by RAY W on Oct 31st, 2013

I have known Dr Mason for 12 years, he's been my Dr the whole time iv'e been in Florida. He is very well respected and an excellent doctor.I have seen him save the life of a long time friend of mine,he is extremely knowledgable and caring,i can't say enough about Dr Mason.i would highly recommend him :)

|  Dr John Mason , excellent physician in his practice.  |  show details
by John Wszeborowski on Oct 29th, 2013

Dr. John Mason is a very caring, professional, courteous, family physician. He has a great bedside manner. I have been a patient of Dr. Mason for eight years now, and he is very compassionate about his work with his patients. I sincerly believe he is a great asset to the medical community.

|  Great doctor  |  show details
by R. A. on Oct 23rd, 2013

I needed to find a doctor in Sarasota that would take care of several complicated medical problems that I have. Dr. Mason came highly recommended by several friends as a man who had the right combination of smarts and bed side manner. He was able to put me at ease immediately and actually listened to me. It's clear from his full waiting room that others have come to the same conclusion. I really trust and like this doctor. He makes me look forward to going to see the doctor.

|  Excellent Doctors  |  show details
by John Childers on Jun 27th, 2013

I have been extremely happy with the care my family and I have received at Sarasota Medical Clinic. Dr. Mason and Dr. A are fantastic. They will take all the time that is required to treat you and make you feel very comfortable. They are thorough and very caring. You can make an appointment but you do not have to. They are our primary care physicians and we intend to keep it that way. The office staff is also great. Dana is the Office Manager and is always cheerful and very efficient. I encourage anyone seeking a competent and efficient medical facility and staff to visit Sarasota Medical Clinic.

|  Outstanding  |  show details
by Richard S. on Jun 14th, 2013

I first met Dr. Mason over four years ago when a visiting family member needed care and my regular physician couldn't fit her into the schedule. Serendipity led us to him on that occasion, but now we ALWAYS recommend Dr. Mason to any of our friends and family as the very best physician we know. Without exception, those friends have likewise been extremely impressed with the quality of care provided at their Sarasota Medical Center by Dr. Mason and his partner, Dr. Aristimuno, and by their expert and friendly staff. We and other patients are always seen quickly, but office visits are never rushed. Both Dr. Mason and "Dr. A" are very careful listeners , and then each takes plenty of time to explain possible diagnoses, with their causes & consequences, medical tests and treatments, medications and referrals. My wife and I have seen our fair share of the illnesses, accidents and chronic conditions that bring us to Dr Mason or Dr. Aristimuno, and its is a good feeling to know they're on our side. We know that each visit will be a learning experience, and that we're getting the best of care.

|  Feeling healthy again  |  show details
by Ted R. on Jun 6th, 2013

Shortly after moving to Sarasota for a new job, I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis. I was discharged after five days and was still in a lot of pain. The hospital just said; "go see your general practitioner", which I didn't have yet. So I made an appointment with Dr. Mason at The Sarasota Medical Center. The staff was very friendly and the new patient paperwork was simple. Once I was in to see Dr. Mason, he immediately struck me as a very knowledgeable physician........asking all the right questions about my condition and thoroughly explaining what I had just been through. He then explained what to expect during the healing process and the things I could do to assure I never have another attack. I left my appointment knowing I had chosen the right place to get medical care.........I highly recommend SMC,

May 5th, 2013

Ok. So I don't normally write reviews but I had to comment on Dr. Mason. He spent the time with me to figure out what really hadn't properly been treated by so many other doctors. He restored my faith in the medical profession. From reading some of the other comments about him, I see that others have had the same experience with this guy. He's my "go to guy" when I need a real doctor.

|  Superior Doctor, Superior Care  |  show details
by Terry M. on Apr 1st, 2013

I have a complicated health history. When I first went to Dr. Mason I was immediately at ease because I knew instantly that he was two things I really needed: Brilliant diagnostics and caring man. In the two years that I have seen him, he has proven again and again that my first impressions were, if anything, underestimating him. Not only is he absolutely the best doctor I have ever had at figuring out what could be wrong he is the best doctor at keeping me well, not just managing me when I have illness. I did not even realize how important this would be for me. And his staff is courteous, caring, and his office is run like a family clinic. When you show up, they know you. When the nurses administer care, they are caring. I never feel rushed even when the waiting room is full. I never actually have to wait more than a few minutes. He listens, if there are medications to be prescribed he will give you the least expensive ones and tell you where to get them. He ran emergency rooms for years for local hospitals so perhaps it is all this experience that makes him such a whiz at diagnosing. But somehow he also kept his humanity and he is one of the most caring, smart, fine doctors in Sarasota. I am so lucky to have finally found such a terrific doctor.

Mar 11th, 2013

I trust this doctor. He is one of the only honest doctors in Sarasota. He has a gift.

|  A great doctor  |  show details
by Bill on Jan 16th, 2013

I recommend this doctor. He and his staff took care of my medical problems very well. This is what doctors used to be like. NOT AN INSTITUTIONAL ATMOSPHERE, like so many other places. I trust him with my family.

|  Wonderful Doctor  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2012

I recommend this doctor.

|  Exceptional doctor  |  show details
Aug 18th, 2012

Would Highly recommend. He even called me at home to see how I was doing.

|  Dr. Mason  |  show details
Jul 26th, 2012

He is a fantastic doctor who really cares. The best in the area

|  Saved my life  |  show details
May 6th, 2012

Dr Mason took the time to listen to me in a way that my other doctors did not. As a result, he diagnosed a cancer that I had. We caught it very early and I owe my life to him. I would highly recommend him.

Oct 28th, 2010

Fantastic Doctor. He knew what the problem was immediately and had a great bed side manner. I wish all doctors were are kind and knowledgable. I would recommend him without reservation.

Oct 21st, 2009

Fastastic Doctors. Took great care of me and showed great compassion. He made me laugh when other doctors made me cry. I would highly recommend.