Dr. Colin Chan MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Saint Petersburg, FL

• Good
  • Bad

February 23rd, 2017
Great doctor, NP, and office staff!

January 31st, 2017
Great Doctor - too hard to get in to see him when you need to.

November 8th, 2016
Very Good with My Mom
Dr. Chan took the care and time to not only listen, but to explain everything for my mom to understand her treatment options. You are an amazing physician!

November 25th, 2015
Poor staffing makes for a bad practice
The staff was horrible. The front desk was so rude. Both coming In and leaving. I would never return again

May 28th, 2015
Highly qualified physician.
Dr. Colin Chan has been my PCP since 1999. He is a compassionate, caring professional and I am very grateful that he takes the time to listen to his patients and then offer healthy solutions rather than only pharmaceutical options. He has been a researcher and practitioner of the newest and best treatments for his patients and I appreciate that he offers many holistic options. While Dr. Chan is an exceptional family practice physician, he has had issues with his office staff. That has always made me wonder how and why that happens. Since it is so critical to have a physician who matches my expectations, which are high, I have remained with him and hope he can find a way to have a staff that comes up to his standards. I would highly recommend this doctor. And to those who complain about him offering vitamins and supplements I would say do your homework. Research what he offers and compare his prices -– I did, and found there were no less expensive options. I would rather take vitamins and supplements to help my body repair and continue to function at optimal levels, than take pharmaceutical drugs that only mask the problems and cause negative and even damaging side effects.

May 21st, 2015
Fed Up!
I have been a patient for about 10 years but I am fed up with Dr Chan pushing supplements (pay in cash only), "convenience fees" (not billed under insurance) for lab work in-house, and hour long waiting when I am on time for my appointments. The last straw was the "bill" of $140 they said I owed from LAST YEAR. I am not aware of any such bill, nor did I ever get any information about it in the mail! I pay my co-pay & anything not covered every time! I was told about this "bill" yesterday when they called to re-schedule my appointment time. When I got there I was told that I couldn't see the Dr until I paid the co-pay and for this "bill." I left without seeing the doctor. My husband, who also a patient for over 15 years, agreed that we are no longer going to use this doctor. Too many things happen in that office of late that seem unethical. My husband wasn't able to get his refills on heart medication for over a week. I was at the pharmacy when they tried to call twice for this! My husband had just had quintuple bypass and the medicine was incredibly important. Each day's delay put him at higher risk. We will find another doctor asap. Dr Chan has lost his nurse practitioner, Karen Johnson and his other doctor, Dr Chadri in the last 6 months, too. No idea why. I feel that he no longer has time or even cares about his patients.

March 24th, 2014
Not happy with staff
I truly believe Dr. Chan is an amazing Physician...however, his staff rates below standard. His Office Manager, Brandon, does not believe in picking up his phone or returning phone calls or even dealing with issues of crucial importance to the patient. Brandon fails at taking patient issues seriously and his excuses are questionable. Unfortunately this attitude does not reflect positively on Dr. Chan. I have since moved. My issues with the office mistake will cost me over $350 dollars. I have mixed feelings about this office, yes, excellent Doctor, however, office staff will leave you not wanting to come back.

October 2nd, 2013
The truth needs to be known about the nurse practioner!
Dr Colin Chan is everything you could ever want in a Doctor for sure, however his nurse practioner bedside manner is horrible, she does not even listen to what you are telling her and has terrible comments back to you. This has been experienced by several of my friends who are also patients of Dr. Chan as well. We would not even go if it were not for how wonderful Dr Chan is.

June 1st, 2013
The Good, The Bad, The Indifferent
I went to Dr. Chan in 2009. I found him on the Internet because I was looking for a doctor who treated my specific condition, and at the time there were only three in the entire state that I could find, so my options were limited. First, the appointment was easy to make, and if I remember correctly it was a wait time of about two weeks. The staff at the front desk was adequate. They did their jobs efficiently, their attitude was just average. They were not warm and friendly, nor were they rude. They did warm up when I expressed my appreciation and gave them a warm smile and kind comment. I suppose it’s hard dealing with cranky people who aren't feeling well all day, but then, they shouldn't expect all sunshine and roses either. After all, we are there because we're sick. I guess they will treat you however you treat them. The wait time in the waiting room was over an hour for my first visit. However, when it was my turn, I did not feel rushed in the least. Dr. Chan took all the time with me that I felt I needed. He answered my questions and carefully explained everything to me. So, if you want quality time with the doctor as I do, you have to be prepared to let the other guy have their time - even if it means the doctor gets backed up. It's worth it to me. Just come prepared to wait. Bring a book or play a game on your phone. Bring a jacket or throw blanket if you get cold and settle in. If you're prepared for the wait you won't stress over it. Enjoy your quiet time and everyone can be happy. Just remember: when it's your turn, you'll have the doc's full attention and others will be waiting. Now as to the actual treatment: Dr. Chan practices a combination of eastern and western (traditional) medicine. I love his holistic approach. For me, it was traditional medication with vitamins and herbal supplements. He also recommended some lifestyle tips. So, did it work? Oh yes! For the first time in years, I felt like I had my life back. Before I went to him I was missing work - a lot - and feared I would become disabled. After about three visits, I felt GOOD again. My symptoms were gone and my condition "cured". It was amazing. That's the "good" in my review title. Now for the "bad": He recommended a lot of vitamins and herbal supplements that he sells from his office. I didn't like taking 9 pills every morning and 7 pills every night, not to mention the cost. Wow, are they expensive! I simply couldn't afford it. I'd leave his office with a bag of these supplements and the words "rip-off" often crossed my mind. So, after three month, I stopped taking them. Here's the indifferent part. After I stopped taking them, I didn't notice it right away... but after a while I realized. I was back where I started. It only got worse and worse, until I actually lost my job because of my poor health. I had slowly declined and now, here I am, back online trying to find these supplements again. I now live out of state, so I can't go back to see Dr. Chan. I looked online to see if I could buy the supplements myself, and you know what I found? They cost the same if I order them directly from the manufacturer. I thought Dr. Chan was making money off these, but obviously he isn't. Well, if he buys in bulk at a discount, maybe he makes a little, but it can't be much. And even if he is making money on them, it doesn't affect me at all, because I can't get them any cheaper anywhere else. The bottom line is, when I went to him, he make me feel better. When I stopped, I got sick again. So there you have it all. YOU decide for yourself what you think. This is as honest as I can be. If you want all the details of my journey to health with Dr. Chan, and my subsequent relapse, you can read my blog by doing an Internet search for Wilson's Temperature Syndrome blog. The first hit will probably by mine. I can't post a link in this review.

October 30th, 2012
OFFICE STAFF--- RUDE AND UNPROFESSIONAL
The office staff (Susie and Lisa) were absolutely the most rude and unprofessional experience I have ever dealt with in regards to dealing with any doctors office. The office dropped the ball on their end regarding my records and with all my confirmations and records showing my proof of their office making the mistake, their response was "don't want to go through this any longer with you!" " there is NOTHING we received! (which I had the proof that they did)" --- These are just a few quotes out of a hand full I got. To end it, they just hung up and refused to speak to me regarding my records!!! After the business and money i put in to this office, this is the respect that they give their patients!! Sorry office staff is just as much of the experience as seeing the doctor!! GRADE F- for Dr. COlin Chans unfortunately for him

February 20th, 2012
LONG TIME PATIENT
Dr Chan is a very compassionate man and cares for his patients. I was lucky enough to discover him early in his career and will continue to rely on his expertise and advice.

May 26th, 2011
I was one of Dr. Chan's first patients in the area in the 90's. First impression upon meeting him was "too young and inexperienced". Opinion changed during first few minutes of talking. Extremely caring and competent doctor. Have sent many friends and family members to him and they have all become regular patients. Highly recommended. Karen and Cassie are also very competent and caring. Staff is wonderful!