Dr. Corey Raffel MD Patient Reviews

• Neurological Surgery San Francisco, CA

3.8

February 2nd, 2016
This is a message to Dr. Raffel, You treated my daughter Shannon Lynn Cooper 23 years ago at Childrens' Hospital in Los Angeles. She had an astocytoma on the rt side...she was given 2-5 years to live. You did the 2nd resection of her tumor. She has survived 23 years and is now 46 years of age. She lives in Grand Junction, CO in an assisted living facility. (for the past 7 years.) Her tumor has just now grown back. I wanted you to know, Dr. Raffel that you gave my daughter many healthy happy years of living. We have been so blessed. Thank you for your skill. Sometimes, maybe you don't hear about your obvious successes. She has been a very lucky person. Thanks

October 31st, 2015
We followed Dr. Rafflel from Mayo Clinic to Nationwide Children's Hospital. We knew that he would be the best pediatric neurosurgeon to treat our son's rare brain tumor. Our son has panhypopitutarism as a result of removing the brain tumor but he is alive and thriving. We will be forever grateful to Dr. Raffel.

October 23rd, 2013
Aggressive surgeon
Dr. Raffel is a very aggressive surgeon and takes unnecessary surgery risks with his pediatric patients. Get another neurosurgeons opinion and if they don't agree that brain surgery is necessary, do not have the surgery. Dr. Raffel will try to convince you that surgery is your only option and that may not be true.

June 22nd, 2011
Dr. Raffel (December 2000)
I was transferred to Rochester Mayo after a car accident that I was in while visiting Mankato, MN. I was an eighteen year old, belted driver with a side impact collision that left me unconscious and bleeding in the brain. Immanuel St. Joseph's Hospital in Mankato performed the initial testing that revealed not only the bleeding but also the fact that I had a brain tumor. I had my first two surgeries at ISJ and was then transferred to Mayo where Dr. Raffel performed my third brain surgery in eight days. Most didn't think I'd make it and then it was that I would never be the same after all my brain had gone through and then it was let's wait and see what's going to be a challenge. Three months later, I was fully functional and living on my own again. Dr. Raffel removed 90% of a pilocytic astrocytoma on a patient who had two previous surgeries that week (it's attached to my short term memory and no more could be removed). The man saved my life. That's really all that matters, isn't it?

May 1st, 2010
Miss Him @ Mayo
Dr. Raffel installed our son's first shunt and did two revisions. We didn't realize how awesome he was until we had to deal with another doctor when our son's shunt failed again. We miss him at Mayo - Rochester.....he is a fabulous doctor!