Surgical Specialist, Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Video profile

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! show details Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
by Anne Scalogna on Aug 10th, 2013

I was diagnoised with an aorta heart anuerysm 4.1 and a leaky mitral valve I have factor 5 had suffered with pulmonary embolisms. So after being divorced 10 yrs I met a wonderful man Lou, who lost his wife to cancer. So you can understand why I went to Dr Smith. Anyway, his staff was extremely knowledgeable and caring. then I saw Dr Dr (the big kahuna) haha! and proceeded to explain my situation and what I had to do to slow the grow of his aneursym. Show me heart model etc. He answered all my questions and assured me that I would be ok and go ahead and marry Lou. He is highly intelligent, caring and funny! The hospital is like a city within a city! Just amazing and worth the trip. I came in from Brooklyn. So if you have a problem go see him ASAP. You wont regret it! Thank you Dr Smith!

Destroyed a life... show details Destroyed a life...
Jul 20th, 2012

My 33 year old cousin will never be the same because of the care of Dr. Smith. Not only did he cause him to have a stroke but he also did not follow through or even acknowledge this problem. This was the most disappointing consultation ever. I think he is not worth it.

This is the doctor to see if you have heart trouble show details This is the doctor to see if you have heart trouble
Jun 19th, 2012

Definitely would recommend Dr. Smith. He was professional, caring, skilled, and he took the time to explain my entire procedure. It was worth the effort to get the appointment and two years after my surgery, I still am feeling great.

The Best show details The Best
Jun 18th, 2011

Dr. Smith saved my life in emergency open-heart surgery. He came to the hospital on a Sunday night to operate on me and could not have been more professional. He is focused and cordial and COOL under pressure... I think of him as the "Sully" of cardiac surgery. He is a man of few words which count! If you are looking for a hand-holding surgeon (foolish, in my opinion), he's not for you. However, if you want total competence, skill and experience, he's it. He really is THE MAN and quite a decent gentleman. No regrets. Total gratitude.

great surgeon, practicing in poor hospital show details great surgeon, practicing in poor hospital
Oct 27th, 2010

Dr. Smith is an extremely talented surgeon and a true stand-up guy. Smith will certainly deliver, however, I would think twice about going to NYP for any surgery. A family member had a successful surgery with Dr. Smith, but during his post -operative days, he developed a common complication that was overlooked by NYP staff and it cost him. Remember it is the nursing care and post op care that will get you out of the hospital alive. If we could do it over again, we would definitely pick the less famous surgeon in a more patient friendly magnet status hospital with better nursing care and better organizational structure. After our ordeal we were also stunned by the lack of guidance, support or concern on behalf of hospital management. There are TOO many good hospitals in this nyc area, I would highly highly recommend Dr. Smith if he practiced at a better hospital.

Only for celebrities show details Only for celebrities
Oct 28th, 2009

Dr. Smith is a typical celebrity doctor. He does his job and drops you even if there are complications. He is very skilled but don't expect him to be there for you or your family. I think there are plenty of equally skilled surgeons out there.