Thoracic Surgeon, Cardiologist, Surgeon
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
201 Lyons Ave
Newark, NJ 07112
973-926-6938
Locations and availability (3)

|  Only the Best!  |  show details
by Richard Rodbart on Jun 29th, 2013

When my cardiologist told me that if he had the same condition that I had, he would ask Dr. Craig Saunders to perform the surgery, that was good enough for me! I had an aortic aneurysm and a defective aortic valve both of which needed to be addressed within a year. During surgery, Dr. Saunders also found that I needed two bypasses and a repair for a PFO (hole in the heart). An aortic aneurysm can lead to almost immediate death if a rupture occurs. Dr. Saunders explained my risk factor in advance of my electing the surgery (Bental procedure) and put me at ease regarding what had to be done. The surgery occurred on Monday morning and I was discharged from Newark Beth Israel Hospital on Friday afternoon. My post operative recovery followed Dr. Saunders' instructions and, with steady progress, allowed me to return to work with a complete recovery within three months. I cannot overemphasize the high regard which I have for Dr. Saunders and his staff. Their concern for me and their expert treatment was exceptional. If you have any serious coronary issues, seek out the best medical practitioner who I have identified in this review: Dr. Craig Saunders.

|  Wonderful, caring Doctor.  |  show details
by Rosalie Toleno on Feb 5th, 2013

Dr Saunders is the most caring surgeon that has been watching over my Aortic aneurysm year after year. He's very calming and reassuring and quite thorough. I would recommend with no hesitation.

Oct 4th, 2012

Dr. Saunders has wonderful bedside manner, excellent surgical skill and a wonderful team working with him. Even though open heart surgery is difficult, they make moving through this process very easy.

|  ROBERT HAYUM  |  show details
Aug 25th, 2012

It is now four years after life saving surgery at Beth Israel in Newark, New Jersey. He repaired my Mitral Valve, installed three bypass grafts, and repaired an Anyeurism in my left ventrical.After 10 hours of surgery which he spent entirely with me,I awoke feeling alive and well.He is the worlds greatest heart surgeon.So humble and quiet you would never know who he is.

Aug 15th, 2012

Thank u. 4. Saving. My. LifePhillip. Merten

Apr 4th, 2012

a wonderful surgeon who did a bypass procedure on me 8 years ago. i walk 3 miles every day so he must have done a wonderful job morton bader

May 23rd, 2011

EXCELLENT , LIFE SAVER!!! VERY CARING, VERY THOROUGH .

Nov 17th, 2009

Dr.Saunders is the best in his field of high risk cardiac surgery. I know he saved my husband's life and the lives of many others. He is a modest man and a true healer!

|  No One can come close to Dr, Saunders  |  show details
by John Zerbini on Mar 13th, 2009

I am now a 34 yr old male, i was diagnosed with intramyocardial bridging of the mid LAD yrs ago, and started exhibiting signs . I had a cardiologist from Mt Sinai hospital in nyc make matters worse by misplacing stents, then they collapsed, then another cardiologist put stents inside my Lad and did not fully inflate them, causing an even bigger problem. I walked around all the time with angina, and a poor quality of life. I saw the famous Dr. Oz in nyc, among others, they were very nice, but none could dome close to Dr Saunders. He reviewed my case, and the cardiologist that placed the stents didnt leave enough room for a proper bypass, these other highly skilled surgeons did not feel they could hanle my case, well Dr Saunders with great confidence explained the situation and assured me he would get the job done which he did indeed do. I was pain free for about 6 or 8 months i cant really remember when the pain came back, i was cathed and it showed the bypass died , not any fault of Dr Saunders, but because of the back pressure from the stents. I knew there was only one man to contact, i emailed Dr. Saunders in the middle of the night, not only did he email me back, he called me in the very early morning showing his concern. He is the Director of cardio-thoracic surgery at Newark Beth which is part of the St. Barnabas group, I asked him what he could do, he sat me down and said, he could not make me any promises , but he would attemmpt to bypass the very difficult bypass that he had initially done. You can only imagine the mess that awaited him. I asked him to perform the surgery at St . Barnabas because it was close to my house, for my wifes sake, and my familys, he had no problem with it. I will never forget the morning of the surgery as they prepped me, in came Dr saunders, not a hair out of place, his scrubs and jacket freshly pressed, the air of confidence in him.I said to one of the nurses, it was like the president came to the hospital, anyhow, he performed the surgery, my wife told me he stayed real late that night to keep an eye on me, she hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek for doing so well, the next morning when i was off the respirator and most of the tubes were taken out and they transferred me to the step down unit telling my nurse that Dr Saunders would be coming to see me, she grabbed my wife in the hall and asked her if i was ok, because Dr Saunders hardly goes to St Barnabas as he is the Real BIG GUY especially at newark beth and i must be mistaken, she said no, he told my husband he would check up on him. True to his word, he would come in at any time of the day, again, like he just stepped out of a GQ magazine, they were all shocked, but there he was, for days this went on. He had genuine concern for me in his heart and I will alwys love him for that. He didnt have to do what he did, he could have very easily had a surgeon at St Barnabas follow up on me as i was told by the nurses would be the case, but it wasnt, this man, true to his word made sure i was doing well. Since then, through no fault of Dr Saunders, again ,the stents, the second surgery failed. Again, let me repeat through NO FAULT of Dr Saunders. No other surgeon was even willing to take the chance. The compassion this man showed, and the great technical skill he has cannot be beaten. I would not even hesitate to recommend, more like plead with someone to have him do your surgery, If you are reading this and think to yourself that may be the case, by all means, print this out and when you go to his office , show it to him and I personally give him or his staff permission to give you my phone number, so you can see i am a real and genuine person.

|  Craig Saunders saved my life!  |  show details
Feb 12th, 2009

Dr. Saunders performed open heart surgery on my Mitral Valve,three bypasses,two stents and left ventrical repair of an anuerysm. Eight hours of surgery where he repaired all my problemsand gave me back my life.He is the most modest and quiet person you can ever meet.Five months after surgery I am doing 98% of my previous activities.