Surgeons
1 Davol Sq
Ste 302
Providence, RI 02903
401-621-8700
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  worse experience ever  |  show details
by the guy who almost lived crippled for the rest of his life on Mar 30th, 2014

worse experience ever, your office staff is rude, just because you are a well respected Dr, doesn't mean you should treat your patients like they are just a paycheck, I almost continued to live my life in crippling pain because of the 15 min appointment I waited 4 weeks to have with you. You told me i needed surgery, and you were right, but there was no way I was going to let you cut on me... Just a piece of advise not that you care, but you were so NON CARING, and so unattentive during our consultation,which was very upsetting to me and my wife because we were both terrified with the thought of me having surgery, we needed some answers and some reassurance. What we got from you Dr Doberstein, was nothing,,, if you think back you may (i doubt it) remember our conversation. Yep you need surgery, so make up your mind, and you and your PA walked out the door.. We attempted to ask questions during our short visit and you cut both of us off, in mid sentence, I guess you had a golf game to get to because as you were leaving you through a printed piece of paper explaining the procedure on your desk and walked out. YOU ALMOST CAUSED ME TO LIVE MY LIFE IN CRIPPLING PAIN,,,, bet you don't even care, but i thought i would tell you,,, I was fixed by the best neurosurgeon on the east coast, and believe me I am telling everyone,....Oh Yeah just a little tid bit for you, my wife's physical therapist and her neurologist said she needed to see a neurosurgeon and go figure they both recommended you.... You can bet my wife told them both the story and she wont be coming to see you and neither will any other people I know that need your services..... They are all being referred to the COMPASSIONATE, CARING, PROFESSIONALS..

|  show details
Jan 25th, 2014

This man does think he is God. He has operated twice on me. The last operation was a failure. The disc is still pressing on the S1 nerve and all the test show so, but Dr. Doberstein has not told me the test results, acts like there isn't a problem. If you see this man, ask for a copy of all your test and read the results for your self.

|  don't bother with "god"  |  show details
Dec 30th, 2013

You meet God once - gives you a diagnosis, schedules your surgery. Told me one things and performed something else. Lousy atitude or none I should say, his PA is the only saving grace otherwise don't let this guy cut you with a butter knife.

|  brain anuerysm  |  show details
by linda deane on Nov 14th, 2013

Ten yrs ago on Nov 13, I was transferred to ti after tuning car off road. Discovered vein leaking gave my family she only hasa two percent of coming out without complications, ten yrs later I'm still here. Just FYI don't underestimate the determination of some strong willed people. I'm also a 20yr breast ca survior, now 10 yr aneurysm survivor.

|  Recent microvascular decompression surgery  |  show details
by Patti Babbitt on Aug 2nd, 2013

It is so hard to put into words the wonderful experience I had . I am now pain free (after 6 years) and finally have energy because the medication has been reduced. Dr.Doberstein and staff were so caring,compassionate and so understanding. Every part of the procedure was explained very clearly and in words I could understand.

|  It was alright by me!  |  show details
May 9th, 2012

I had been referred over by my PCP ater seeing another ortho surgeon. I found not only Chris to be more than polite, but also Dr. Doberstein. Both were very happy to explain ALL options in detail and even joked around. I didn't get a hug but they are medical professionals NOT my mom.As far a the office staff, I think they are really nice. Angela is the one I spoke with, and apon hearing the appt. had not been confirmed with the WC adjuster she happily told me everything would be just fine. I have not elected to have the surgery yet but if I do, they are the ones who will do it.

|  The best I could ask for  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2011

I developed an urgent problem - foot drop. My PCP obtained an MRI that showed a possible cause (disk disease) and referred me to Dr. Doberstein. Got the appointment in less than 48 hours, got great care and attention. He could have operated but instead got a further test that showed that although I needed surgery the foot drop was not due to back disease. I was given appropriate care for the foot drop and then had the back surgery on an elective basis rather than as an emergency. The surgery was very successful, my care was great, and I now realize that Dr. Doberstein could have not gotten the additional test, taken credit as a "hero" for treating the foot drop, but instead did it all right. A great experience. And yes - I didn't get a hug.

|  Good Surgeon  |  show details
Mar 21st, 2011

If you are looking for a pat on the head or someone to give you a hug go somewhere else. Dr, Doberstein is a highy skilled, highly trained neurosurgeon who whas able to place steel screws, steel plate and take the pressure off my spinal cord and relieve my 2 years of crippling pain. Hes a serious guy with one focus in mind, making surgery a success.

|  Patients Beware!!!  |  show details
May 31st, 2010

Dr. Doberstein performed laminectomy/discectomy at my L4/L5 at RIH. Was discharged after about 12 days. Within 2 days incision started leaking fluid. Repeatedly called Dr. D's office for 2 days with no response. Was forced to go to my own PCP who immediately referred me to a local orthopedic surgeon who planned on admitting me the next day. Never made it. Woke up in middle of night in excruciating pain and was rushed by ambulance to SCH. I was in OR within 2 hours for surgery to start cleaning out wound due to staph infection. After surgery, new doc told me if I had been treated any later, staph would have eaten through my spinal cord and I would have been paralyzed from the waist down. Dr. D pushed his way back in on my case and he had me in OR again days later. Nine days later I was discharged with a PICC line in my chest to administer IV antibiotics. Dr. D wrote a prescription for 6-8 weeks of gentamicin (very dangerous antibiotic) even though it should never be given more than 15 days. On day 29, I reacted to this medication - my vestibular system (balance) was completely destroyed. When my case went to trial, Dr. D sat there and claimed that he had written the script for another physician who wasn't even treating me after discharge. Ironic that he could write a script without even talking to this other doctor (there was no contact). Dr. D may be a halfway decent surgeon but if you are the unlucky person who develops post operative complications, he doesn't want to hear it and he will not be there for you!

|  Awful Experience  |  show details
Apr 2nd, 2010

I never waited under an hour to see the doctor. In speaking with other waiting patients we discovered that there are at least three different people booked for the same time period. And once you finally get in you see his Physician's Assistant, Chris, who is the best part of the experience. The office staff is incredibly rude and incompetent. They can't even get simple paperwork correct. I was called back to the office five seperate times to fill out a form because they kept making me fill out the wrong form. The worst is dealing with Angela she is outright mean, yelling at patients, hanging up on people, etc. This medical office shouldnot even be allowed to function.